We had a great stay at the Anchorage for 2 nights in early May 2012. The weather was amazing, and it was a great way to break the journey on the way to Milford sound. The drive from Queenstown to Milford was nothing spectacular as compared to the other drives we did in south island. On some parts of the road it was particularly sunny with the mid-day sun beating down upon us sharply as we drove onto Te Anau, Sun glasses a must!
1. Booking - We booked directly on their website and got what I believe is the best deal. We had a 2-bedroom apartment, and we paid NZ $ 135 per night which was good.
2. Location - it is located on a quiet street, but then all of Te Anau is really quiet anyway! The street in fact has a lot of motels in it, and once you reach the end of the street, turn left, and you are bang in front to the beautiful lake! A further 3-4 min drive gets you to the city centre. Too far to walk, but then you obviously have a car..
3. Mainly Seafood - at The lake - This is a car-stall parked just across the lake near the garden, Amazing Blue cod fish, not to be missed. NZ$ 8 for a big piece. Highly recommended!
4. The apartment - Excellent. Clean, milk was provided upon check-in. The host was a little laid back kind of fellow, but helpful. TV in each room, tea/coffee/hot choc provided with full kitchen amenities. heater in each room + the bathroom. Excellent toiletries used of Nature Earth, extra towels provided, heated towel rails... this was a superbly furnished apartment! Free DVD collection at the reception was an added bonus. A travel adapter was also given for charging out phones etc.
5. Garden - there's a small garden in the middle with a fair sized trampouline. My kid had a blast jumping upon this!
6. Internet - FREE internet! Password and log in mentioned in the room.
7. Milford Sound - we did the milford cruise with Jucy, We had their car so we got one free adult ticket on their boat! It was an excellent ride, and it doesnt matter which boat you go on. They're all pretty much the same, but I would recommend Jucy. The coach is also fine which picked us up from the Anchorage and drove us to the Milford sound with lots of stops. Simon was the coach driver, excellent chap. Great collection of Kiwi Boys music! Hahaha...
Finally, if you are going to Milford from Queenstown, it is highly recommended that you stop for 2 nights at Te Anau. And the Anchorage is a great place to sleep. Cozy and comfy.
Carry sunglasses and sunblock!!
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.