“Good hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of YHA Te Anau

You added YHA Te Anau to your Saves list
YHA Te Anau
4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   29 Mokonui Street, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park 9600, New Zealand   |
Ranked #12 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Te Anau
Maffra, Australia
“Good hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great place to base yourself. From here you can do day trips to Doubtful and Milford sound, Plus a lot of great hikes. I stayed in a four bed dorms. its a nice sized room. Walls quite thin but with ear plugs I got a great sleeps. Great kitchen, lounge, drying room and t.v room.

Did have a problem with one of the washing machine. After a couple of days hiking was looking forward to clean clothes. But after a cycle my clothes come out smelling of oil and with oil spots. Showed staff, but they were not too concerned and asked if I had oil in my pocket that I forgot to take out(dont often carry motor oil in my pockets). After washing clothes again in other machine at my own cost, got most of the spots and smell out. Guessing a seal in the machine had leaked.

Would stay there again

Room Tip: I stayed in 4 bed dorm on bottom floor. 2 rooms from t.v room, was ok. Wouldnt be happy sharing the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Perfectly situated, great value, very clean, super helpful, big well equipped kitchen perfect for cooking a massive post tramp/hike feast while sharing your experiences with other intrepid adventurers!

They even went to the trouble of posting my Scarpa hiking boots I left there back to Australia for me which I never dreamt they would have time to do. How generous! I'm so grateful! Thank you thank you thank!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed in a share house next to the main hostel. Great value and very clean. We had our own room and just shared the main living area, kitchen and bathroom with another two people. Great place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here in Te Anau as it's the best base to do a day-trip to Milford Sound. I also managed to fit in the glow worm caves close to town on the same day.

This YHA is perfectly situated in a quiet street close to the centre of the village and the lakefront. All of the communal areas and facilities are clean and functional, the staff were friendly and I found the 6-bed dorm to be comfortable and spacious enough for 6.

OK, they do have the dreaded bunk beds but somehow I was able to get a bottom bunk despite being the last to check-in. That said, the bed was comfortable enough for a good night's sleep.

I would happily recommend this hostel as a good option if staying in Te Anau, which is a pretty little village with some good bars & restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a total of three nights before and after completing the Kepler and Milford Tracks. Although the hostel is in a small town, it's fairly large which allowed people to spread out. The kitchen gets a little hectic around dinner time - but start early (which we learned!) and you'll have the place to yourself!
The staff were all very friendly - even when we called in from the Kepler and came in a day early.
There is a great laundry room and even better - a lot of storage space to leave your stuff while you're out hiking. They provide open storage as well as lockers you can pay to use.
We stayed in two different rooms - #11 and #5, both were super clean and quiet!
Overall, a great hostel and place to relax before and after trekking!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We loved this hostel as it is super clean. The beds feel like king singles. The kitchen is terrific. The deck area is so nice to eat at. We will come back here. Only bad part was a lack of things to do back in town really.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We are a family of 4 so the room in the 'cottage' was very small for us, however, next door we had a separate building with showers, toilets & a kitchen (no stove) & dining table (with little TV) that was for the 4 cottage rooms only. Great facilities in the main house with full kitchen, dining area, lounge and separate TV lounge. Nice outside tables for the short time that the sun showed up.
Only suggestion is that as separate cottage facilities include a limited hot water supply so shower early, or go to the main house.
For the hostel I'd suggest a little shelter between the cottage & facilities as we got soaked every time we stepped out.
Thanks for finding my camera & ringing so promptly so we could still come back & pick it up.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to YHA Te Anau? Share your experiences!