“Perfect for Milford Sound” 5 of 5 stars
Review of YHA Te Anau

You added YHA Te Anau to your Saves list
YHA Te Anau
4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   29 Mokonui Street, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park 9600, New Zealand   |
Ranked #13 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Te Anau
“Perfect for Milford Sound”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here in Te Anau as it's the best base to do a day-trip to Milford Sound. I also managed to fit in the glow worm caves close to town on the same day.

This YHA is perfectly situated in a quiet street close to the centre of the village and the lakefront. All of the communal areas and facilities are clean and functional, the staff were friendly and I found the 6-bed dorm to be comfortable and spacious enough for 6.

OK, they do have the dreaded bunk beds but somehow I was able to get a bottom bunk despite being the last to check-in. That said, the bed was comfortable enough for a good night's sleep.

I would happily recommend this hostel as a good option if staying in Te Anau, which is a pretty little village with some good bars & restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a total of three nights before and after completing the Kepler and Milford Tracks. Although the hostel is in a small town, it's fairly large which allowed people to spread out. The kitchen gets a little hectic around dinner time - but start early (which we learned!) and you'll have the place to yourself!
The staff were all very friendly - even when we called in from the Kepler and came in a day early.
There is a great laundry room and even better - a lot of storage space to leave your stuff while you're out hiking. They provide open storage as well as lockers you can pay to use.
We stayed in two different rooms - #11 and #5, both were super clean and quiet!
Overall, a great hostel and place to relax before and after trekking!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We loved this hostel as it is super clean. The beds feel like king singles. The kitchen is terrific. The deck area is so nice to eat at. We will come back here. Only bad part was a lack of things to do back in town really.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We are a family of 4 so the room in the 'cottage' was very small for us, however, next door we had a separate building with showers, toilets & a kitchen (no stove) & dining table (with little TV) that was for the 4 cottage rooms only. Great facilities in the main house with full kitchen, dining area, lounge and separate TV lounge. Nice outside tables for the short time that the sun showed up.
Only suggestion is that as separate cottage facilities include a limited hot water supply so shower early, or go to the main house.
For the hostel I'd suggest a little shelter between the cottage & facilities as we got soaked every time we stepped out.
Thanks for finding my camera & ringing so promptly so we could still come back & pick it up.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Brevard, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were very pleased with the YHA Te Anau. The front desk clerk was especially helpful when we arrived. The room was quite nice and the shared bath was impeccably clean. The kitchen was quite nice also. The place was quiet and the other residents were very respectful. We really only have nice things to say about this YHA. The location was convenient especially for our excursion out to the glow worm caves.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

In 4 months of travel this is the most expensive YHA I've stayed in and probably in top 5 most expensive hostels I've stayed in full stop. Why? Probably because Te Anau is really expensive so they know they can get away with it. For Te Anau it's cheap but service is shoddy.
On checking in I asked about wifi, got told yes they have it and how works, they processed payment for the room and then told me it wasn't working and I had to go out to a local cafe!
On day two wifi was theoretically working, I paid for it... but then I couldn't connect so they made me call the supplier to sort out myself - reception staff weren't bothered. even after I got it working it was poor and a waste of money as drops out constantly.
Ground floor men's bathroom appears clean but strong smell of urine.
Tours run by the YHA are expensive - for Doubtful Sound book directly with Real Journeys, it's c.$100 cheaper.
Not enough electrical sockets in the room, rooms are generally basic.
All of this probably sounds quite petty but given the amount they are charging they need to sort it out. Stay in manapouri if you have your own vehicle, it's a lot cheaper

Stayed November 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed here one night before walking the Milford Track. If I remember right, it was a 8-bed dorm, small, but next to the boys' bathroom, so that was convenient. The dorm I stayed in was in the first floor and a short walk to the kitchen.

The staff were friendly and gave advice about places to go. I found the place a little crowded though, so one must be patient for service (like asking for a towel) but not bad if you like the crowds. After all this was a hostel. As in a YHA hostel, a non YHA member must pay $5 to use wifi, not a problem if you buy a network prepaid card. (I stayed one night in Queenstown to take buy a president card as there didn't appear to be a Telecom NZ shop in Te Anau.)

I walked 15 minutes from the hostel to the DOC office from where the bus takes walkers to Te Anau Down for the boat to the start of the Milford Track. This disadvantage compared to another hostel by the lakeside is offset by its closeness to town where I ate my dinner in a Chinese takeaway, order fried lunch for eating on my first day's walk, and hired trekking poles from an outdoor shop.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would recommend the place for its location close to town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to YHA Te Anau? Share your experiences!