“Great common facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park

You added Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park to your Saves list
Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park
4.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   15 Luxmore Drive, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand (Formerly Te Anau Great Lakes Holiday Park)   |
Ranked #13 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Te Anau
Sydney, Australia
“Great common facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Fantastic venue. Good establishment. Great management. Value for money. Environment friendly. Nice common area. Nice community kitchen. Decent bed, tv and clean bathroom. The motel is a bit worn but was clean at least. Facilities for caravans and campervans are excellent.

Room Tip: Early morning gets noisy, when people wakes up to catch coaches for Milford Sounds.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Anna M, Owner at Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thanks for your kind review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. The coaches do start early in the morning, but that's so you get to see the best of Milford Sound.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were recommended to stay at Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park. The hosts, Bradley and Anna were awesome and really made us feel at home. The accommodation was very nice and the property is beautifully kept. The unit was very clean. They put us in touch with local fishing guides and experiences and were very hospitable. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this park.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Anna M, Owner at Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Was a pleasure to have you staying with us! I know Brad had a lot of fun, and we look forward to seeing the end result.
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was very disappointed in this holiday park purely from a monetary point of view.

We booked a basic cabin which I was told would have no bedding, we were fine with this as we had our own anyway. We were over the moon to find we had a bathroom in the cabin. After travelling around the whole of NZ on a tight budget I was tired of having to walk to the toilet in the middle of the night. Unfortunately however, we found the toilet door was locked and in order to have it unlocked we'd have to pay extra, not just a little extra either! Absolutely disgraceful in my opinion. The toilet was there in the room, it wasn't being used and in order to squeeze the last little penny out of their customers they keep it locked unless you cough up the cash. Shocking and frustrating.

Another thing that really brings this place down is the fact that they have no crockery, cutlery or cooking utensils whatsoever available to guests, unless of course you're again, willing to pay extra! I stayed on various camp sites across NZ and this was the first time we did not have any kitchen wares available to us. I wasn't the only guest horrified by this and you found that while in the kitchen guests were loaning each other what they had so that they didn't to pay to hire things from the site staff.

There are several other examples similar to above but I have only listed those that annoyed me the most.

It's a real shame that this was the case as the camp site is one of the nicest I stayed at. It was clean and very well located, across the road from the town center and the supermarket. If it wasn't for this, I'd have given the place only one star!

Lastly, it was a little cramped and at times felt like camper vans were parked almost on top of one another.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. We have a range of cabins and all priced accordingly. Yes all our cabins have bathrooms but there are a lot of guest that are happy to use communal facilities and this keeps the price down for them. The price we charge to have your bathroom covers the cost of cleaning and toiletries that are used. Our communal kitchen used to be fully stocked with crockery and utensils, but unfortunately due to theft and guests leaving the kitchen a mess and not cleaning up after themselves we made the decision to have kitchen cooking packs which you can hire from reception for $2.50 per person for your entire stay.
Habere-Poche, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was surprised upon arrival in my 'de luxe' cabin with private bathroom to find that I was given a bag of bedding and expected to make up my own bed. The bottom sheet which was on the bed was very wrinkled and the thin quilt had no cover. I told the receptionist (owner?) that I was not happy but she said they did their own laundry and did not have time to iron the sheets and the quilt was washed after every guest. She grudgingly brought me a clean sheet and got the bunk bed duvets out of a cupboard. I was very uncomfortable. I am not normally a complainer (see my other reviews) but I am very particular about clean bedding.
I was told that I had chosen an inexpensive option but at $NZ172 for two nights it was not exactly back-packer prices. I suppose I am used to a higher standard - the night before I had stayed in the Wyndham, Wanaka, with crisp white sheets and very friendly staff, a modern TV and a beautiful bathroom. The price was $NZ125 for one night.
When I asked about tea/coffee making facilities, which are regarded as standard in most hotels, she again very grudgingly opened a locked cupboard and gave me a tray with three glass cups and a teaspoon. There were packets of tea and coffee and milk in the fridge.
I paid $NZ5 for internet access for 24 hours.
I wish I had paid a little extra and had a different type of accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Anna M, Owner at Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thanks for you review and sorry you had a bad experience with your bedding. You booked a deluxe cabin which is one of our backpacker style rooms at NZD86 per night. Yes we do do all our own laundry on site and I can assure you that all linen is washed after every use. We do not iron our fitted sheets as these are very hard to iron. You were given tea, coffee, milk and crockery complementary . We did have what we call our en-suite units available for the night you stayed. These units have full linen, tea, coffee, crockery, a new LCD TV, heaters, electric blankets, and a newly refurbished bathroom for NZD105 a night.
Thanks Management
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Fine for a camp ground. The motel unit I stayed in was clean and adequately equipped. Noise from neighbouring units and anyone walking past your window along the decking is heard clearly unfortunately, but it served the purpose as basic accommodation for a short stay. No views to speak of, as it's set back a few blocks from the lake, but it is only a minute or two's walk from the centre of town, and is handy to restaurants, supermarket etc.

• Stayed February 2013
Hastings-New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 nights. What a fab. place to stay!! We chose a Delux cabin (ensuite)
More like a motel unit!! Great size,clean and comfortable. The park site was really well maintained and well fenced for family to safe.
Everyone there had smiles!
Also-very helpful staff with trip information etc.
BBQ available,close to dining,shopping-great base for the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Invercargill, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was just an overnight stay with our family (4) while in town and we arrived late and left early, but I just have to mention the bathroom! So used to motel units with bathrooms that a cat would have trouble turning in, that it was very refreshing to have all that space! The rest of the room was fine too, though the mattresses were a tad firm and it was a stinking hot night (but that wasn't the park's fault!!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park? Share your experiences!