“Disappointed.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bob and Maxine's Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Bob and Maxine's Backpackers
You added Bob and Maxine's Backpackers to your Saves list
20 Paton Place, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge
“Disappointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Bob and Maxine own two cats which go into the double rooms. I'm highly allergic to cats, and Bob had mentioned nothing about having cats in his emails. After spending 5 minutes in their house, I was coughing, sneezing and my insides were itching. Given that, through no fault of my own, I couldn't stay the night, I approached Bob to cancel my stay. He was very confrontational and rude. His defence for not telling me was that "everyone has cats". He tried strong arming me into paying for my entire two night stay, but eventually relented with payment for half the night. I was very disappointed with the experience, especially since I was trying to cancel before noon, and since it was clearly his fault that he hadn't mentioned the cats.

As a side note, the private rooms are not in the Backpackers. They're simply guest bedrooms in Bob and Maxine's own house. So they are, in effect, homestays rather than hostel rooms. They were also fairly expensive, for $10 more a night, I got a private studio closer to town in Bella Vista where I didn't have to share a bathroom.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
bobteanau, Owner at Bob and Maxine's Backpackers, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
I'm sorry David that it didn't work out. Can I suggest you clarify before booking that the accommodation is feline free as obviously you have a severe allergy. In our experience most backpackers lodges feature a friendly cat or three. We love our little cats & to pretty much all our guests playing with them is a highlight.
I recall I was doing other stuff when you approached re a very late cancellation so I'm sorry for being a bit abrupt. We had carefully kept your room for you during a very busy time & turned away many inquiries.
People who stay wth us & have the double room invariably love it. The room is really quiet & peaceful but there is the wonderful social scene at the backpacker lodge. That's the huge difference to hotel & motel style accommodation & that's why we get many people staying with us who can easily afford the best hotels.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Bob and Maxine very kindly gave us a free upgrade, so we ended up staying in a room in their house rather than in the backpackers. They put teddies on the bed for us and left us nice fluffy dressing gowns, made us feel really at home. We had a lovely peaceful nights sleep too.

The backpackers looked nice too. Nice clean kitten and comfy sofas etc.

They had two very cute little kittens when we stayed who were just adorable.

Bob and Maxine were both very nice. Maxine is very nice and very chatty, you may end up talking all night!

Only slight criticism was regarding payment. We paid by card at all of the backpackers in New Zealand and we did not really have any problems doing this. However Bob and Maxine's is not really set-up to take card payments so we ended up having to wait around a while to pay and also got charged extra for paying by card. No big deal but just worth bearing in mind that it is worth bring cash.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

This place won't disappoint you.
The hostel is super spacious, the lounge has all you need. Lots of books, info about NZ. You can borrow a free bike to get to town (about a 10 min bike ride).
We stayed in a double ensuite room and were shocked to see we had electric blankets on our beds. They worked amazingly well and heated up literally within minutes.
The hosts are super friendly.
The were not so keen on Te Anau itself but it is a great place to base yourself if you want to explore Milford and Doubtful. We went to both and had a great time (and weather too :).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

As I was travelling solo for the first time, I planned my hostels very carefully and this did not disappoint me. I stayed on 20-23rd nov, everything went well. Bob made an effort to introduce everyone to each other which I think is a very good idea. Maxime was absolutely lovely. The lounge area has a fire and is very cosy. I had no problems meeting other people at the hostel and went for a hike together. Although it is slightly away from the town center, with a bike you can borrow from the owners, it feels like 5-10 min bike ride only. To Bob and Maxime, thank you very much.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I had no hesitation booking a night's stay at Bob & Maxine's after reading the rave reviews.

The entire property is very well-kept (and spacious!) and a joy to return to after a day out, especially for those who have been tramping. I'd stayed just one night as it was my base for doing the Milford Sound cruise but met several guests who were stayed for longer periods.

You wouldn't feel like it's a crowded typical hostel due to the generous spaces especially in the kitchen and living room areas. There's even a very comfortable fireplace that Bob lights up each evening when the evening weather gets cool ... and what a cozy way to keep warm with a hearty home-cooked meal/drinks to unwind.

You will not lack for tips from Bob either. He's been in Te Anau long enough to know what works best.

Note : I had left behind a luggage when I had to rush off to Queenstown after staying a night. I phoned Bob and he very quickly arranged for a contact (who did daily Te Anau-Queenstown van shuttle) to deliver it to me early the next day. What a relief to not have to drive back to get it myself, thanks to Bob's initiative, really appreciated that!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
omer, israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We just came to bob and maxine by accident and planned to keep driving to milford the next day. However we've stayed there a WEEK! it was AMAZING, the hospitality, the owenrs and the facility. Such good ppl they just encourage you do explore and have fun. Bob helped us planning our hole trip. we highly recommend staying there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I am in my third night at this backpackers. It's one of those places that you wish you could stay longer if you didn't have to go. I met some really nice travelers during my stay here, and the owners are incredibly cool folks.

Every amenity is catered for. Common area is airy, spacious, and friendly with lots of couches, beanbags, log burner, and huge windows overlooking the mountains. There is large selection of maps and travel info. Everything is bright, clean, and well cared-for. Bob built the building himself. It's like being in someone's awesome rec room.

I hiked for a day on the Kepler track, which was a fantastic day hike of maybe 6.5 hours return. Bob loaned me a nice day pack and some walking sticks. The track leads you through a variety of ecosystems, then up to spendid views above the bushline. At the top I stopped at the Luxmore Hut where I had a sandwich and took in the views. At the end of the day, I was a little tired but very rewarded.

Anyhow, if you want to party, maybe the Lakeshore is a better bet. But if you're here to use Te Anau as a base to explore the surrounding wilderness, you can't go wrong with this one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Bob and Maxine's Backpackers? Share your experiences!