“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Edgewater Motel

You added Edgewater Motel to your Saves list
Edgewater Motel
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   52 Lakefront Dr.,, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park 9600, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Te Anau
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are light and clean, have very good cooking facilities, and the motel is located in walking distance to the (small) centre of Te Anau. Staff is friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I stayed here as a base for going to Milford Sound instead of going straight from Queenstown. I enjoyed Te Anau tremendously.
I really wanted to like this motel as the motel manager was responsive and helpful to my email enquiries and also friendly when we checked in.
However, I have to admit that i was very disappointed with the family room that we had. I had thought that it would be furnished in the modern style I saw on pictures on the motel website. However, I guess that was some other room in the motel because the family room looked rather shabby and old with '70s decor, definitely not worth the price I paid for it, although accommodation at Te Anau seemed rather pricey compared to other places in the South Island like Hokitika.
The family room is a unit by itself on an upper floor. There is a small kitchenette with a stove and the usual amenities, with dining table; separated from the living area which had a television. There was 1 room with a double bed and another with 2 single beds, as well as a bath tub / toilet. Although the furniture and fittings looked old, everything except for the carpet looked clean.
As the motel people had told me, there is no lake view from this room; One side faces the car park and an adjacent motel as well as a few mountains in the distance; another side looks out onto the garden of another building. The lack of a lake view was a real pity as the motel is well situated in front of the lake and it would have been wonderful to have a room with a beautiful lake view.
It is situated reasonably near to the town restaurants (the La Toscana is highly recommended - we went there twice in two days). It is also an approximately 10 minute drive to the Te Anau Golf Club which is very nice with lovely views of the mountains and lake.
I would recommend staying at this motel but only in the room with the huge balcony overlooking the lake.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
port macquarie
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

the motel was clean and the owner was very nice but it was deffinately not worth the $165.00 per night we paid for the room as i stayed at the novotel in queenstown best room in the house for $200.00 per night, if your just after a bed and a clean room this is the one for you

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Stayed 2 nights whilst touring and had a ground floor room with open views of the grounds, lake. Good location - either 2/3 minutes drive to town or about 20+ minutes walk along the waterside. Didn't try the restaurant but it looked to have a decent menu range. Room of a good size, clean and well serviced. Would stay again.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We were a group of six and stayed in the villa near the back of the hotel. We had two bedrooms and a split bath with a very large shower and double vanity in one room and a toilet/sink in the other. Our kitchen was fantastic- very large and fully equipped. It was the perfect place to rest for a couple of days after the Routeburn Track and heading over to Doubtful Sound for kayaking. We even had a rose garden in our backyard and Robin was incredibly friendly and helpful. I'd easily recommend the villa to any groups looking for a great stay in Te Anau. My only complaint was the pull out couch- I think it's time for an upgrade :)

• Stayed March 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Edgewater motel was absolutely fantastic. We stayed in a Spa Vista unit on 2nd floor. There was a master bedroom, guest bedroom and livingroom. Huge space. Large terrace overlooking the Lake Te Anau. Fantastic. Host of the motel was really friendly and he helped us with "glow worm trip" booking and gave us a lot of helpful information upon our arrival. This motel is just about 5 minute walk from the village restaurants and shops. We had dinner at the Moose Restaurant & Bar. Good food, but nothing fancy.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Queensland Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The location is excellent, about 2 minutes walk to the shops, restaurants etc. The owner was extremely helpful, when I booked the motel I asked for information on the Milford Sound tours..not only did he give me info but he also booked the tour on my behalf...so all I had to do was be at the front with my family to get picked up at the time arranged. The furniture was a little older but I have never seen a motel so clean in my life. It has everything you could need...would highly recommend this motel

• Liked — The cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Edgewater Motel? Share your experiences!