“Nice spacious room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
“Nice spacious room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel was on the Wotif mystery deal so pleasantly surprised with it being the Oaks Shores. Lovely big room and great shower and bed. Very limited views but price of room worth it. Very clean and tidy and staff very helpful. Good parking for cars also.

Room Tip: One with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Kia Ora, Jo. Thankyou for your review. Great to hear that you enjoyed your mystery deal with us. The hotel rooms are good value. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The two beds apartment we stayed was well equipped for family holidays. Everything was clean and room service was excellent. Very spacious open plan living room with fireplace has panoramic view at the lake. There is footpath beneath hotel along the lake we used couple of times for walking to town cente. The only disappointment were noisy neighbours who spoiled last two nights.

Room Tip: Have a room with lake view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello, thankyou for your comments. The views from the apartments are superb. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience with us. We understand that a restful night sleep is expected as part of a holiday break. I apologise for the disruption. Thankyou for your review and I hope you stay with us again.
Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

In july 2013 we stayed in a 3bedroom appartment. Each couple had their own king bed and ensuite which was just great. Lots of room, very warm and comfortable with underfloor heating and a gas fireplace. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thankyou for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. The fireplace in the Lakeview Apartments is wonderful treat, particularly in winter. I hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again. Thankyou for your recommendation.
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a long list of service mistakes NOT acceptable at the rates charged, and if all you need to know is my recommendation that you vote for service with your dollars elsewhere, stop reading now. Further be warned: "free" internet is a half hour only, and ONLY in the hotel public spaces. Servicing is a bare minimum. Which is why you pay a premium rate, right?

My family and I booked a 4 night stay in a 2 brm lake view. The unit was a great size and location, marvellous view, well appointed. That's important. The things, that have little if anything to do with good service are of good value.

Check in was unsatisfactory. I had requested whilst booking a late check out would be appreciated, but the servicetron on the desk offered an hour, after which for each hour ( or half hour?-either is outrageous) a $NZ 20 fee applied. I told him it was silly, he defended the policy. I have worked in hospitality, this is a classic "I haven't looked and can't be bothered making the effort to check" answer; not good enough. Worse yet, he kept up the spiel. In the end I told him to stop. I can't bear outright disservice followed by a boring defence of the laziness. Reception abysmal. A great way to feel welcomed and a guest.

Now, if the apts were booked solid, this would have been understandable, but a quick check revealed the availability of the specific units ( and alternatives) on the day. And I checked again on the day of leaving -yep, all sorts available. Sigh. It is not the issue of a late check out that has me riled, simply the lack of willingness to be hospitable and proactive in meeting a guest's request.

The units are a great size, with gas fires and a good kitchen. Maintenance, however is slack. Non functioning lights and wiring, grubby upholstery, curtains with falling hems, and damaged furniture and windows needed attending to. Such failings and lack of attention to detail make a good space feel like a cheap motel rather than a higher end apt. And are consistent with the earlier unsatisfactory attitude.

Servicing of the apt is perfunctory. Beds are pulled up; towels changed and rubbish taken away. But no cleaning of surfaces; no cleaning of bathrooms; no floors vacuumed etc. not my standard at home; why on earth would it be a holiday to see someone else's low standards? So once more, minimum standard, cheap of the Oaks management and not a good example of meeting expectations when we had booked a serviced apt.

And the Internet is not free or convenient. Unless one counts schlepping to reception to use a half hour on one device only. Yep, that's why I pay for an apt; to drag my communication equipment into public to use it. And of course not suitable at all for smaller kids to be alone in the public areas of a facility.

All in all, there are advantages to the Oaks Shores. Read the reviews. I bet there's plenty on the things management can't impact; but what counts in service- especially higher end prices- is what the staff and management can make a difference with. Most of it doesn't really cost; it is an attitude and a perspective of service and effort. Oaks don't have an iota of this; overall it makes for poor value. Shame.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thankyou for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to detail each of the areas of concern. It gave me specific information to investigate. I met with those directly involved and also the remainder of the team which has taken some time and I appreciate your patience.

Your experience is not what we set out to deliver and I am so sorry that you left disappointed and felt let down.

The check-in process should be a welcoming experience. Not because that is required, rather because each individual naturally desires it to be that way. Customer service is the cornerstone of our operation. The Oaks business is about ensuring all guests are welcomed to the property and from that moment on each member of the team whether it be front office, housekeeping or maintenance conduct themselves with professionalism and engage with our guests in a friendly manner. The way each individual member of the team conducts him or her self largely determines the guest’s experience.

Unfortunately my colleague who checked you in did not apply what I just described. At times of gridlock bookings a late checkout may not be possible. However, this was not the situation. A pleasant, positive discussion to determine a suitable checkout time is what should have occurred.

You mentioned the marvelous view and other positive aspects of the apartments. However, I accept that these features are easily dulled without proactive maintenance. Our housekeeping teams prepare rooms in accordance with a script which includes a review of items that may need to be repaired/replaced by the maintenance team. The two teams must work in concert to ensure the delivery of clean, well maintained rooms. Lights fail from time to time, are easy to notice and take only a moment to replace. The upholstery can be easily cleaned and the curtains and furniture take a short time to repair. Whilst these issues have been addressed, I appreciate it is far too late. I apologise that you found your apartment in this condition.

Our housekeeping team undertakes daily servicing which is includes vacuuming of the floors. I apologise this was not done. I acknowledge your comments regarding what is not currently included in the daily service. We include details of what is currently included on the website you booked through and in the rooms. The apartments receive a full service once per week for stays longer than 7 nights. This includes cleaning of all surfaces in the apartment and bed linen change.

I also acknowledge your comments regarding the internet service. We currently offer 30min per device per day complimentary internet at the reception/lounge area only. However, Oaks are undertaking a review of the internet offering across all our properties.

The delivery of quality service is a natural consequence when individuals and teams help others. It is something that should be effortless and it doesn’t cost anything. It could be as simple as a smile and a greeting. I have discussed your comments with my team to highlight not only the issues but also how it should have been a wonderful experience for you. I am very sorry you were disappointed with your stay. I hope that you reconsider and visit us again.
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times and it is always good. About a 15min walk from town around the lake side which is pleasant in nice weather. Easy to find on the main road in to Queenstown, but not noisy. Only annoying thing is not having a smaller window to open for air at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hello and thankyou for your review. I am pleased you have enjoyed staying with us on several occasions. We have a fabulous location and outlook. We would be happy to discuss our various room types with you as I am confident we could find something with a style of window that would suit. It would be wonderful to have you come back again. Kind Regards, Aaron Jeffrey
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Recently stay in a 2 bedroom apartment for 9 nights, was upgraded into the loft apartment which has spectacular views. Large, spacious and well laid out apartment allowed for easy living. The underfloor heating was a Godsend during the winter freeze, although with only one wall heater the living and bedroom areas were hard to heat. After requesting a small fan heater from the office we were toasty warm for the rest of the stay. The staff were friendly, helpful and obliging for any requests for information.

Being used to international travel and hotel service was disappointed the restaurant wasn't open more often with longer hours so missed out of dining with them although did order meal and had in room (you must collect from restaurant). Great parking facilities, free washer/dryers available in carparking area.

All in all great location if you have a car, private and away from the crowds where you can enjoy the views and beauty of Queenstown.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a room with a view, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Kia Ora and thankyou for your comments. The views from the loft and lake view apartments certainly are spectacular! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were toasty warm! We are preparing to refurbish the restaurant which will include a review of the operating hours. I hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I have been back to this accommodation for the last six years. It's a little far out of town so you potentially need a car. The view to the remarkable's is spectacular. The accommodation is just a little run down and needs some maintenance work. Other than that, a great place to stay. I'll be back!
Ps. Make sure you do the lakeside walk in front....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello and thankyou for sharing your experience. I am thrilled that you return regularly to stay with us. You will be interested to know that we will be updating the accommodation, reception and restaurant this year. I agree the views from the apartments are spectacular and the lakeside walk is a must do. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Oaks Shores? Share your experiences!