This was the last stop on our trek of New Zealand and we were hoping for a spectacular Sofitel experience. It is with disappointment that it did not meet our expectations. Originally we had made a booking and cancelled it online and made a second booking with new dates (shift one day forward). We received a phone call the night before we arrived with a message wondering if we were checking in (this reservation had been cancelled). We did not return their call in favour of waiting until the next day when we were planning on checking in with new reservation. Upon arrival at the hotel the concierge was most helpful with our baggage and valet of our vehicle. Front reception were welcoming with their trademark "Bon jour". There seemed to be some confusion with our booking and I advised that we had cancelled the original reservation and made a new booking at the same time as their website does not allow amendments of dates. They consulted the duty manager and I showed them my paperwork (lucky I had taken the time to print everything before I went!) They requested to photocopy my reservation paperwork that I had printed and advised that there should be a room available of the type we booked. As we had arrived early the room wasn't available but they provided us with coffee and advised that they would phone when we get checkin - not a problem at all as it was very early. They did phone mid morning and advised that the room was ready and we were able to access the room. The concierge again (one of the main highlights of our trip) showed us to our room and pointed out the facilities in the room. The room itself was well appointed and spacious. Lounge area with dining table and large flat screen tv. Coffee machine available as well. Super comfortable bed which are renowned across the Westin/Sofitel brands. Bathroom was nice with a very deep spa bath and dual rain shower. There was a cracked tile in the shower but we did not draw housekeeping's attention to this, in their defence. Two Juliette balconies were a treat as it was possible to let in some fresh air during our stay. In the room there was a welcome cheese platter that had been left there from the night before (their expectation that we arriving the day earlier).. however this was removed when noticed and replaced. Ella the duty manager was very helpful throughout the stay including offering restaurant reservations and engaging with us at every opportunity. The two French barmen in the hotel's bar were very welcoming and accommodating. They would remember our room number each evening and our drink of choice! Was a nice touch. As was housekeeping who were very efficient. A word of warning - the hotel only allows 300mb internet per day which really is not much in this day and age. Beyond that you can elect to pay extra or reduce your speed (which crawled...). A real disappointment and not experienced in any other hotel I've stayed. On the evening prior to our checkout we were presented with a note under the door that the hotel needed to take a preauthorisation of a credit card for the cost of the entire stay. We promptly attended reception and although they had taken a $400 bond for the 4 night stay they also wanted to pre-auth the entire accommodation cost. I enquired as to whether when we checked out the following morning that the accommodation cost would replace the pre-auth which I was advised would happen. Checkout occurred and sure enough we were double charged (totalling upwards of $4000). The pre-auth amount would be returned within seven days. Doesn't help that it overdrew the credit card and went against what we were told the night before. Upon returning to Australia we had to make international phone calls to the hotel to find out what went wrong and they advised that it shouldn't have happened like that. They were going to send a letter to the bank to release the pre-auth funds and if they did it took another four business days before the money disappeared from the account. We received emails from Sofitel with request for survey which I completed honestly, per the account above. The front office manager has emailed me to clarify reservation issues as he believes that the duty manager was not informed of any issues on the day (which is not correct as the duty manager came out and photocopied our paperwork upon checkin). At $579 a night for a prestige suite we expected an awful lot more and were left feeling very disappointed. I have stayed in numerous hotels all around the world and this would have to be one of the worst experiences. Very unfortunate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a new level of sophistication at Sofitel Queenstown Hotel and Spa recently awarded only Qualmark Exclusive Hotel. Inspired by the charms of Paris and the charisma of Queenstown hospitality, be mesmerized by its tasteful combination of French antique chic and local avant-garde design. Centrally located and providing exceptional personal service the hotel truly embodies the Sofitel concept ‘art de vivre’ – the art of living. The lobby and lounge flow into a resplendent reception enclave, invoking the panache of Paris and warm hospitality inherent to any Queenstown stay. Elegantly appointed rooms and suites feature comforts such as Sofitel’s sumptuous 'MyBed', double spa bath and separate walk-in rain shower. Modern surround sound LCD TV/DVD players entertain in bedroom and bathroom, a pillow menu and plush New Zealand possum throws add yet another fine touch. Hotel facilities include signature restaurant, Vie, an intimate Nue Lounge and the luxurious Left Bank Café – part French kitchen, part tea room – open for breakfast and lunch in charming Paris fashion. The ‘piece de resistance’ is LeSpa, a relaxing haven where mind, body and spirit unite. Using French and New Zealand products, LeSpa’s lavish treatments, which include a traditional Maori rituals and Hammam steam room, place strong emphasis on balance, well being and regeneration. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, ACCOR, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Expedia, Tingo, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel Queenstown
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel And Spa
- Queenstown Sofitel