“Comfortable Place” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   41 Frankton Road, Queenstown 9197, New Zealand   |
Toronto, Canada
“Comfortable Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

I stayed in a studio suite with a couple of family members and we found the place to be comfortable.

The studio was large enough for the three of us and there were heaters in the main room, the washroom and even heat pads in the bedding, which is important during Queenstown's winter season. Our studio kitchen consisted of a microwave, small fridge, two-burner stovetop and all the amenities needed in the cupboards. Atop the tv set, there's a stereo which also doubles as a dvd player. The spa is available for 30-min time blocks and you have to book it in advance at reception. As well, there's a computer with free internet access available in the lobby.

If you cut through the gardens, it's about a 10-minute walk to the edge of the town. A bit steep on the way back, but not too bad. The traffic noise on Frankton is constantly loud, so depending on what type of room you have, i'd recommend requesting a room as far from the main street as possible.

The best I can describe the staff at Garden Court is cordial. They were polite and answered any questions, but I didn't find them wanting to be of more assistance, or willing to be more helpful. There are a lot of activiity brochures in the hotel's lobby, and they say that they can do your bookings, but I chose to do my bookings with the friendly folk in the town's Visitors Centre.

Regardless, the staff's general indifference would not stop me from staying here again, as it is a pretty good value for accomodation in Queenstown.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

Don't know why this place is ranked so low it was great! Had 4 nights here and was my daughters favourite apartment in NZ. We had a 2 bed apartment with breath-taking views across the lake and the Remarkables. Easy walk to town and a really comfortable apartment with free internet access in the lobby - what more could you want? OH, one down side - a bit noisy 1st thing as tour buses in big hotels next door leave their engines running!

• Stayed February 2006
Brisbane, Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

We loved our one bedroom luxury apartment. Apparently it was one of the newer ones, and overlooked the lake with gorgeous mountain views. It had absolutely everything we needed.
Contrary to the other review the cleaning service was impeccable. We made an arrangement to leave our dirty towels and rubbish outside because we didnt want to be disturbed and this was not a problem.
My partner had the flu while we were staying here and out of all the places we stayed, it was the perfect place for him to mend. He just didn't want to leave the plush surroundings, spectacular views, spa bath, central heating, cable movies, king bed with telly in bedroom. I had no guilty feelings leaving him behind while I ventured out. Coming "home" after a day skiing was bliss.
The kitchen was awesome with all the comforts of home. In fact we felt very at home the whole time we were there.
We also had friends who were staying at the Hilton, and they were really impressed with our room compared to their own ( of course theirs was hotel only, not apartment style but the prices weren't too dissimilar!)and commented they would look at staying there next time instead. We will also stay there again for sure.

• Stayed September 2004
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2004

I checked in to discover that by the standards normally expected for the price they charge for their 2 bedroom apartment, it was certainly punching well below its weight overall, for example in terms of size and furnishing. Having come off a long flight I decided to live with my lousy choice. The next day after a day of sightseeing, I come home horrified to discover that the apartment had not been serviced.

I called reception to clarify and was told that service consisted of throwing the garbage. When I pointed out that the standard understanding in Australia and New Zealand is at least that the beds be made and where required towels changed and the floor given a vacuum, I was told that it being an apartment guest prefer not to be disturbed and so they did not do a daily service. On the issue of fresh towels I was told that as the unit had a washer and dryer I could do my own!

By now I was feeling extremely upset and I was told that I could put it in writing to the absent owner as many guest felt as I did. When I asked who else I could complain to I was told that no one else was available. I made it known that I was considering cutting short my stay after which things got amusing.

The receptionist said although not policy she would get someone to service my unit the next day. Then I got a message purportedly from the absent land lord who was upset because there was confusion and the unit was meant to be serviced after all. Then the next day someone purporting to be the head housekeeper told me that there was confusion and that the unit was meant to be serviced after all. Everyone was getting themselves in a twist contradicting themselves!

By this time I felt I was being given the run around and had made up my mind to leave. Please refer to my review of Spinaker Bay where I spent the rest of my stay in Queenstown.

Incidently, in reference to the title of this review, I also wish to point out that the owner charges guest for 0800 (toll free) and Calling Card calls! I rest my case.

Been to Garden Court Suites & Apartments? Share your experiences!