“Great guides, lovely setting.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: •Stunning scenery and river crossings•Exclusive access to Lord of the Rings and Hobbit filming locations•Options for experienced and beginner riders•All gear provided - Drizabone coats, boots, gloves and safety helmets•Fully trained, experienced guides •At least 1 guide to every 5 riders •One of Queenstown’s best value activities
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Great guides, lovely setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have only ridden a few times before (mostly on holiday in similar places) and although I was very nervous to begin with I had a great time.

When we arrived, we were slightly put off by the size of the group - there were at least 40 people all getting ready to ride. However, they then split us up into groups of 4 or 5 riders (by ability) and then we set off with our guide.

We did a 2 hour (River Wild) route which took us along and then right through one of the rivers running through the Glenorchy valley. This sounds scary but the horses are so well trained and powerful that they had no problem getting across - it was certainly exhilarating. There were a couple of young girls with us and I wondered how they would get on, but they loved it.

Well worth a visit - in this stunning location (used in plenty of films - which the guides will tell you all about).

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Astounding scenery, awesome guide and horses!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Astounding scenery, it is truly a Paradise. It feels surreal riding in the same place where LOTR, Narnia and Wolverine were filmed. Our guide was really awesome, I don't know how she did it, but she was able to match the right horses with our personality. :) My sister who is scared of riding is now a horse lover. We'll never forget our horses, they're well trained and very familiar with the trail & terrain. We'll definitely do this again. Paradise is now our favourite place Queenstown.

Visited January 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
8 attraction reviews
“Fabulous views, horses, and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My three children and I thoroughly enjoyed Dart Stables. They are very organized, safe, accommodating. We did the River wild which was great for experienced to cantor and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The girls were great, very sweet, informative, and engaging.

Visited December 2012
Hong Kong, China
15 attraction reviews
“Stunning view but pricy and the horse was a bit unfriendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We chose the LOTR ride and the views are fab! The staff tried to match your level to different horses. There were 7 riders in total and I was one of the two with few times riding experience, while others didn't have any. So i think they had to arrange those friendly horses to no experience riders and the one for me was a bit unfriendly which I was told when I got on the horse Murphy. He left the track few times and likes to walked on the edge. Luckily I did few riding lesson in my home country before the ride in NZ, so I was able to handled it.
The staff also reminded me what to do during the unexpected situation.

My tips is always tell the staff that it is your 1st time to ride a horse unless you are intermediate level or very confidence to control any kind of horses.

One minor thing that I think they can improve is instead of ONLY asking if the rider (no experience ) comfortable or not, the staff should also check the length of both side of the thingie ( that you put your feet into it).

The views are brilliant and the staff gave a lot commentary during the ride which is very good. Just think it is a bit pricy with NZ $177.

England
9 attraction reviews
“Spectacular scenery and superb riding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was our first main activity in NZ and one I was both looking forward to and slightly apprehensive of as I had not ridden for just over a year. The drive from Arrowtown to Glenorchy was stunning and on arrival at the stables we were well looked after in terms of kit. There were just the two of us, a lovely young Australian girl and the guide so we had a great experience. We rode through fields of lupins and then crossed the river several times over - which I must admit was a slightly strange experience the first time as the water was flowing pretty fast so it gave a strange sensation of moving sideways but the land staying stationary in front of you! The lead horse decided to throw a spook and stop dead in the middle of one of our canters so I managed a very "elegant" (according to the guide) dismount over my horse's head. No main injuries just a rather fetching black nose for the first week of my trip where my sun glasses dug in on impact with the ground. I would definitely recommend this trip and say it was well worth the money.

Visited December 2012