“So beautiful it ain't real!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trelawn Place

You added Trelawn Place to your Saves list
Trelawn Place
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   35 Watties Track | Arthurs Point, Queenstown 9348, New Zealand   |
Offers & Announcements
3rd person is free
Singapore
“So beautiful it ain't real!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I have read everything about how beautiful this place is, and boy, was I blown away when I saw it for myself! This has to be the most beautiful place I have ever lived in. The garden was maintained by the owners Michael and Nery to perfection. Among the plants were roses, and an apple tree (I wanted to pluck one to eat but managed to stop myself). The hosts made us feel really at home (ok, if my home is in heaven).
Its was raining and cold when we arrived. Michael and Nery welcomed us with some hot tea and cakes, and we had a little chat at the fire place. Their 2 dogs were very friendly and kept wanting to snuggle up to us, though the 2 cats couldn't care less! Afterwards we were shown our room (we had the Floydies room). It was a lovely country-styled room with an attached toilet . I don't find the furniture dated at all. I think they add to the charm. O, and there is free wifi!
Despite its secluded location, it is just a short 5-minute drive to town. This is a fantastic place in a fantastic location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

The place is beautifully located overlookiing the Shotover river and if you have a car (and most people who stay there do), you are very central to all the sites. We have stayed at the Cherry tree cottage which has all the things you could hope for including a spa bath, DVD player for the rainy afternoons (we had a few) and a fireplace. At breakfast on the deck overlooking the speedboats on the river below we were accompanied by the two resident dogs and a cat who felt she owned the place. It was a very beautiful and convenient base.
One suggestion is that the windows should have flyscreens - without them you face the choice of being eaten alive by mosquitos or leaving the place with no ventilation. The latter creates a musty smell which is not that appealing and gives the cottage a bit of a dated feel. The kitchen utensils could also be updated to change the feel of the place to a more up market level befitting the price. Finally, we were rather amused that the beautiful garden next to the cottage is actually a pet cemetery but some guests may find that a little spooky.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Trelawn, Owner at Trelawn Place, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Thank you for your review.
Following a similar suggestion last week, we went and brought a new lounge suite. We are at the moment doing renovation for all the cottages so we will very much keep your thoughts in mind.
The insects you may have encountered are sand flies, these appear only prior to it raining. We are lucky not to get mosquitoes here.
All the best with your traveling
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We arrived unannounced at Trelawn and were greeted by two friendly Corgis. The owners were responsive to our very short notice request for a room that night and showed us the stand alone cottage on the edge of the gorge. A breathtaking view!

the cottage had plenty of room for two people and was very cozy (if a bit dusty... which the owners apologised for- but it was likely due to our lack of notice).. There was a washing machine and tumble-dryer with laundry powder provided which was much appreciated as laundry was piling up! The bathroom had both a spa bath and a shower... and there is also a jacuzzi outside on the edge of the gorge for guests use.The bedroom upstairs was a bit dated and could do with a revamp and a good dusting... something the owners are working on as a new sofa arrived for downstairs just as we were leaving!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We booked Trelawn Place for our wedding and afternoon tea styled reception in March. The stunning location and wonderful helpful hosts make the whole event very enjoyable and relaxing. With all our guests commenting on what a lovely setting it was.

On the night of the wedding we stayed in the Cherry Tree Cottage, which had plenty of room, was clean, tidy and comfortable. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast with the hosts Michael and Nery.

We were very sad to leave and will make sure we come back soon to this stunning location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This location may be great as a B&B, but is not really ideal for wedding receptions. I attended my friends wedding there in March, and was very surprised at the lack of help on the day from the owners. Instead of being able to relax and enjoy getting herself ready on the day, the bride was running around moving tables and chairs as there was no one there to help. When I asked the owners if they were going to help they said no, the set up was up to the bride and groom to organise. This was not a good start. Thank goodness for the caterers who came in a bit earlier and finished off all the finer details, while the bride was able to go and get ready.
The most disappointing factor though was the issue of the music later on in the evening. My friend and her now husband were told before hand that the music would have to be turned down at 10pm, but on the night the old couple forced the music to be switched off. To make matters worse, they started clearing away all unfinished drinks off the table and throwing them out even if you were still busy with them. My drink was taken away while I was still sitting at the table with a few other friends. No apologies were made when I ran to claim it back. The caterers had provided wait staff who were already doing a great job of clearing. It felt like the old couple were trying to kill the mood, so we could all leave. Weddings are a celebration and as such we were all disapointed that this celebration came to a stand still at 10pm.
I understand their reasons for turning the music down (or off) so early, as they do not want to disturb their neighbours, but then it should not be a Wedding Venue. Who wants to cut the celebrations for the most special day of your life at 10pm???!
Do yourself a favour, book a different venue where you are able to celebrate properly!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Trelawn, Owner at Trelawn Place, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Thank you for your comments.
We have learnt a lot from this unfortunate experience.
However you are misinformed regarding some of the points you make.
Your comments are from observation and don't take into consideration what the couple had asked to have done.
In future we will have the couples detailed requirements signed by them, so there is no misunderstanding.
Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

In Queenstown for my sister's wedding, I knew she'd found a winner when we arrived there the day before for the practice run. A breath-taking location not far out of town overlooking the river and backed by mountains and forest, it is truly a stunning venue to host a wedding.

The gardens are meticulously maintained and we found the owners very helpful with the preparations. The wedding went off without a hitch and was a beautiful evening that our friends and family will find hard to forget. We stayed overnight, and while our room was a bit flowery for my taste it certainly suited the the rest of the place very nicely in a ye'olde English kind of way.

Breakfast the next morning was a very social affair around a big table with a great fry up compliments of Nery. You could spend hours in the peaceful garden but unfortunately we had to leave. Our thanks to Michael & Nery, gracious hosts you were, and a lovely place you have.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed 3 days in Trelawn in April 2011. This is the best B&B in my 10 days' New Zealand trip.

It's located in a quiet area and only 4KM away from the downtown.

The garden is definitely the highlight of Trelawn. It's so beautiful. If you have seen the pictures at website, believe me, it's more beautiful than pictures.
I chose the Cherry Tree House. It's a cozy single house. You can see lots of tasteful decoration. Even the plates in the kitchen looks so nice. It's not a big house but I found eveything I need. What we enjoyed most is the time when we had breakfast in the garden in the sunshine, playing with the 2 cute dogs and 1 cat. BTW, the bed in 2nd floor is very comfortable. What a nice thing to wake up in such a lovely bedroom.

My friends chose the Cottage. In fact I called it Apply tree house coz there are so many apply trees beside their cottage. It's wonderful house too.

Michael and Nery are great guests. Michael showed me around the house and introduced how he and his family built and maintain Trelawn. Please don't forget to ask him to share with you the photo album.

If you plan your stay in Trelwan, please book at least 2 nights, otherwise, you will regret.

Last but not least, Michael and Nery, thank you for your walm welcome! I miss you and Trelawn! Please email me when you come to Shanghai one day.

Grace and Eric, from Shanghai, China.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Trelawn Place? Share your experiences!