“friendly and helpful” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   48 Hamilton Road, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand   |
Perth, Australia
“friendly and helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is budget accomodation- don't get me wrong- but the rooms were clean, there was plenty of hot water, and the staff were always very helpful with organising activities, giving directions, and even let me in at 12.00am when I had locked my keys in (all with a smile and no extra charge). Everyone was fantastic and very friendly. This is the second time we have stayed there and it won't be the last.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed in Pinewood for one week in a four person dorm. I think for the price you get quite a good place to stay for a backpacker. I like the atmosphere, it was like a campus with the dorms in different buildings and not too far from the center of Queenstown.
The room was warm and good beds to sleep, but it was noisy and the common kitchen was a big mess and dirty after a day and housekeeping didnt came that often to clean.
What I missed in the rooms was a little lamp to read your book at night so you don't disturb your roomies. Another thing was that the internet didn't work properly and I asked for help at the reception, but they weren't very keen on helping me out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in a double private room for two nights sharing a kitchen, bathroom and living room. The Lodge is great location-wise, only a few minutes walk into the town centre. The room was pretty standard for budget accommodation which we didn't mind, however the heater in the living room didn't work as well as it could have. The most disappointing was the young man from Manchester (didn't catch his name) on reception, who had promised a refund for the money paid for 24 hour Wi-Fi internet when it was reported to be inaccessible in the room, only to be rudely refused when we returned the following day. We had checked out before the reception opened at 7 am to get to the ski field and returning the following day in order to receive the refund was the only option we had. We figured that the amount we had paid wasn't worth the argument, but it was very off-putting and left a lingering bad overall feeling about the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We ended up staying in a double room in one of the lodges sharing bathroom etc. actually ended up on our own which wasn't too bad. When we arrived the room was freezing, even I was cold and I hardly ever am. Anyway the room was small and not much space to move, very small telly, average kitchenette and reasonable shower. Wouldn't recommend but if your on a budget I'm sure there are worse places.

• Stayed May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for one night in a 6 bed dorm in Building H. The beds/linens were decent, just standard bunk beds as you'd find in most hostels. However, the room had only two power outlets. When there are 6 people staying in a room, 2 power outlets hidden behind one bed is not good enough. The bathrooms were below average. The shower drain must've been blocked because the water wouldn't drain, and the lighting in the shower was terrible. The toilets also smelled pretty bad and the bathroom wasn't clean overall.

The whole place just seemed dirty. I went in to one of the other buildings where my friend was staying and the couches were stained and nasty, and the hallways had a musty old smell. My building was a bit better, but not by much.

The location is nice and quiet, about a 10 minute walk from the town centre. Plenty of parking, but nowhere to eat nearby.

Speaking of food, I wouldn't recommend the pizza from the restaurant thing on the property. I tried it and it was terrible. $10 for a small, cheaply made pizza. Seriously, don't bother with it. Just walk in to town and find something better to eat.

Overall, I don't recommend this hostel. There are PLENTY of hostels in the centre of town (two of which I've stayed at) that offer much more than Pinewood lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My partner and friends were looking forward to the trip and the experience at Pinewood. Was let down by the young guy at reception. Very unhelpful and unpleasant. Everything was just too much trouble for him and that vibe carried over to the rest of the experience. (The girl on reception was good and hope the owners actually read this).
The room was ok but we had to boil all the cooking utensils as everything looked like it had not been cleaned properly...
Price for Queenstown is great and it is a great location.
Apparently have to book 4 days prior to arrival if you want the hangi, which is a shame. They bought a Pepperoni pizza. Don't know what planet the cook is from but whole peppercorns do not make a pizza.
Overall good for the price but need to be aware you get what you pay for. I would say it was good for groups and backpackers but not a place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here twice. It's in a great location with tidy rooms and large bathrooms and kitchen. we were in the N block, it seemed good but because of the sheer size it became the drinking spot for everyone so each night the kitchen was trashed and the noise was unreal until 3 each morning. Give the cleaning staff credit they did clean it each day but didn't last long.
The second time we stayed we were in P block which was great it had only 3 double rooms and no one else could get in to raid the fridge. it was quiet and tidy. Much better spot to stay but the facilities are a bit more dated.

Room Tip: P block if you want a good night sleep