“Almost an excellent experience, but bad Wifi policy and suspiciously erroneous charges” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Queenstown

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
La Canada Flintridge, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I would have liked to have given this hotel a very high review. Most aspects are outstanding. There is a fabulous view of the lakefront (which is just across the street from the building) and the rooms are spacious. There is a decent restaurant in the lobby named Three Sixty, and the decor of the common areas is generally updated. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Queenstown so very convenient to all the restaurants and shops. However, there were two significant issues that were quite annoying.
First, the hotel only allows you to use the Wifi for 20 minutes (seriously). After that, you have to purchase these "codes" that will allow you 12 hours of access or 150 MB. If you need to check you work email and have several large attachments, you can pretty quickly go through this miserly 150 MB allotment within a couple hours, and then have to go and buy another one of these "codes" to "top off" your allotment. Why they cannot just include Wifi in the cost of the room like most other hotels, or just charge a per day fee, is in my opinion a miscalculation by this hotel's management, and as the second issue demonstrates, shows the hotel is unfortunately trying to nickel and dime its guests.
The second and more annoying issue is that upon checkout, I was not given my final statement until after the front desk clerk had already charged my credit card (even though I specifically requested that I review the checkout statement first). On the statement were two separate errnoneous minibar charges. I could understand one charge being put on there erroneously, but two separate charges indicates a larger problem. The clerk did not seem too concerned with the charges and gave me a refund right away, as if this was a common thing. No apologies given for the oversight or mistake, just a comment that it "must have misposted" whatever that means. This is the type of thing that is really annoying, and will cause me not to return. Its unfortunate because the hotel is otherwise one that I would have highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NZIHG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Queenstown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for leaving your feedback on trip advisor. I am thrilled to hear that you found the hotel to be of a high standard and you enjoyed our lake views and central location. However, I am disappointed that you did not have a more successful stay at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the mistake with the minibar bill. This should not have happened and the response from our team was not adequate and we will be reviewing this internally.

I appreciate your feedback regarding WiFi charges and once again I am sorry if it did not meet your expectations. As of today, I am happy to inform you that we have increased our complimentary internet to 45 minutes per device, per day including 1GB of data. I would also like to share with you that free WiFi will begin to be rolled out for IHG Rewards Club (currently Priority Club Rewards) members from July and available to all members during 2014. I hope in the future this will help you be more productive and save money when staying at Crowne Plaza Hotels and Resorts.

If you would like to discuss these concerns further or have additional insight into how we can make our hotel better for our guests, please feel free to email me on Reinier.Eulink@ihg.com. Thank you again for leaving your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in Queenstown.

Crowne Plaza Queenstown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a lovely quiet room overlooking the lake and the steamer jetty. So convenient for all things to do in Queenstown. The breakfast was lovely - although one day all the food got devoured by the South African Cheetahs rugby team - it was soon refilled by staff. A lovely hotel with a great location - highly recommended

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Magnificent view from our room of Lake Wakatipu, the coal smoke belching steamship TSS Earnshaw, the Remarkables and the waterfront area. Our room was excellent in a every respect. The staff and concierge were all pleasant and went out of their way to make our stay in Queenstown as nice as possible. When our in room safe failed to open they were immediately responsive.The hotel is within very easy walking distance of the center of the city with great access to shopping and nearby restaurants. Our breakfasts at the hotel were very good. A great place to stay in this very beautiful part of New Zealand and the world. It so reminded us of the years we lived in Summit and Eagle County, Colorado as well as Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NZIHG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Queenstown, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. The team and I are thrilled to hear you had a successful stay and I enjoyed sharing your review with everyone. I am pleased that the team were responsive and any issues were dealt with promptly. We hope you had a great stay and we would love to welcome you back again on your next trip to Queenstown.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel with good range for breakfast. Right next to the waterfront with beautiful views of the remarkables.
Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Not to far from the airport either about 10 mins drive to the airport.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

How often can a person say that they do not even have to leave the hotel to soak in the scene?
That, of course, is a bit exaggerated but if you have a balcony, you are likely to be there a great deal. The view was magnificent. If you are there at sunset, you will see the most amazing shadows and colors. This may not be a 5 star traditional hotel with amazing furnishings and amenities but the view puts this hotel over the top.
The service was lovely and the location was excellent. It is a short walk into the heart of town or you can go the other path down the lake and see beautiful parks and scenery.
Just loved every minute here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am thrilled that you had a comfortable and successful stay and enjoyed the amazing views from our guest room balcony. I will share your comments with the team who I am sure will appreciate your kind words.

We would love to welcome you back next time you are in Queenstown.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed in the crown plaza having travelled from the north island to the south and this was my finishing point.
Staff very friendly lovely room and magnificent view.
Close to main part of town just a small stroll.
Highly recommended

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Pensacola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

As a hotelier I can tell you that the staff attitude makes or breaks the experience. We had 5 str attention to our staya nd check in and check out were flawless.
Special mention goes out to the Front Desk Manager, Anshu. She clearly sets the standard for the rest of her staff. Anshu was a perfect concierge too making excellent dinner reservations for us and making sure everything was perfect.
I should also mention that the location of this hotel is perfectif you want to walk the town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NZIHG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Queenstown, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and leaving your great feedback for the Trip Advisor community. I am thrilled that you had such a successful stay and were able to experience Queenstown from our central location. I enjoyed sharing your feedback with the team who were delighted to hear your positive comments after all the hard work they put in. We have a strong customer focused culture at Crowne Plaza Queenstown and it’s great to see it all come together during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Queenstown.

Crowne Plaza Queenstown

Been to Crowne Plaza Queenstown? Share your experiences!