“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection

You added Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-18 Brunswick Street, Queenstown 9197, New Zealand (Formerly St Moritz Queenstown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
NZ$40 Daily Hotel Credit
Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in December, and stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. We arrived early and the room was ready. The lobby is quaint and homely.
The room was fantastic, with breathtaking views over lake Wakatipu and Queenstown.
The room had a kitchenette and a spacious lounge and a balcony.
The breakfast at Lombardi is good, but the service was a bit slow. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly.
The location of the hotel is brilliant. Just a 3 minute walk to central Queenstown, and a 10 min walk to the skyline gondola. The hotel is up a small hill, so it you can't hear all the crowds in central Queenstown.

I would really reccomend the skyline gondola, for amazing views and up there, you can do the Kiwi Haka Show. This show was brilliant and would really reccomend if you are just staying in NZ for a short time and want to find out about Maori culture.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I was part of a 95 person work conference and stayed at this hotel in early Dec 2010.
Everything seemed to be fine apart from the noisy carport room I had - Room 510 and the non existence customer service at this hotel from the breakfast staff to the bar staff.
However the ''blues'' start on check out when I was presented with a $45 mini bar tab.
The MOD (manager on duty insisted I used the bar).
After I politey informed the rude MOD that I did not use the minibar a battle of words broke out and she mentioned I needed to pay now and shut up.
Not accepable at the end of a 3 day conference with 95 others and flying to Auckland to continue business was this level of Check out acceptable.
My work is still receiving notice about these charges.
Just to make the matter worst my work colleagues have also received bills for unused items from breakfast to bar and mini bar tabs rounding bills to hundreds of $$$
Sorry St.Moritz I will not be staying at your hotel again when next in QT.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

The staff at the St Moritz are so friendly....nothing is too much trouble. We had booked a cheap room so were not expecting a lake view but in fact we had a fairly nice view. We were in room 601 which on the plus side you could see the Lake but on the downside is over looked by the pathway into the back of the hotel. It could be noisy if people hung around on the pathway to talk. We mostly kept that window's curtains closed and had a nice view out of the other window. Not the most comfortable of beds but nice TV and good coffee and tea facilities with hot chocolate too. (Biscuits on arrival was a nice touch.) The walk to town is downhill and takes five minutes. The walk back to the hotel is uphill (quite steep) but thankfully pretty short.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

My only complaint was that the room rate charged was greater than a normal traveller who booked on line via an ccommodation web site and got a cheaper rate than myself as an A Club Agvantage member. Very poor considering A Club are supposed to gaurantee the cheapest rate for members,.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I really wanted to be able to write a glowing review of this hotel – after all we’ve paid quite a bit of money to stay here for a week. You want a place to succeed. Ho hum, it kind of made it half way there. I will try and be as objective as possible.

Background

My husband and I booked 7 nights in a Lakeview 1 bed suite over the New Year period – it was our second week of our holiday in NZ.

Location

The hotel has a very good location being only about 200m from the town harbour front. It’s on a stretch of hill that includes other hotels such as Peppers, Rydges and BreekFree Waterfront. There is a short steep climb from the harbour roadside to the entrance. Although a bit of slug at times, it does mean that the hotel rooms have a better view of the lake.

Room (317)

The rooms are nicely furnished and the kitchenette is particularly well provisioned with goodies such as ground coffee for the plunger, a well stocked bar bridge and a 2 ring hot-plate as well as a microwave. There is also washer/dryer... but we found that the dryer didn’t work particularly well and that we ended up going down to the guest laundry to use the dryer there.

The bedroom is reached through double doors - so wonderfully dark when required as there are no windows.

The bed has a “pillow top” and was very comfortable. There were at least 6 pillows on the bed and the sheets were sublime.

The bathroom as a fantastic shower – very powerful and there was always hot water when we wanted it. (There is a separate bath). Unfortunately there is no heated flooring or towel rail – a real draw back when Queenstown can get very chilly, even in summer. This was a feature we had experienced in the other places we stayed on our trip and was a real let down.

On the point of heating please be aware there is no air-conditioning in the rooms (old fashioned way – window) and that the heating system is fairly primitive (couple of switches and a dial which gives no indication of amount of heat). (see photo) Again an infrastructure fault which I would not expect in a hotel of this supposed quality.

There is a TV in the bedroom as well as one in the lounge area. Unfortunately the lounge TV (quite large) is routed through a different system (so you can get in-house movies) and I have to say the quality of the picture was so poor that we asked reception to send someone to re-tune the system. The maintenance man came, but apparently that level of quality is the standard. Given the amount of fuzz and interference they would have been better off with a DVD player and discs.

Internet

There is a free 30min or 10mb in the lobby per day, or you can pay for usage in your room. The in room charges were very expensive and we found that using our wireless we connected to a Queenstown hotspot where we paid for the one week ($39) about the same amount as we would have paid per day in the hotel. The hotel did have a special rate of $15 per day, but that’s still not particularly cheap.

There is no desk for working at, just the dining room table, so we had to move the furniture around so that we could have our computer near the power socket.

The housekeeping was a fairly hit and miss affair. After three days I had to point out the areas in the bathroom and lounge that had been repeatedly missed. We were also very unhappy to find our room still un-serviced after being out all day. They did come and service the room (after I asked) but it was a nuisance as we had to sit through it (not wanting to go out again). There just didn’t seem to be any attention to detail. Again not something I expect of a 5* hotel.

Reception and bar staff

They have been wonderful and I found them friendly, happy and helpful. I’ve discovered one or two new cocktails and enjoyed having tapas in the bar when we didn’t want a full dinner. Parking is an extra $10 per day and the staff will park and retrieve your car with a couple of minutes notice. This is basically due to having limited parking space in the hotel, so they can shift the vehicles around as necessary.

We ate in the bar, in the Lombardi restaurant and had room service. Generally the food was of good quality. I had a tapas selection a couple of times and found it all well cooked and presented. We had the degustation menu for dinner on New Years Eve and although we enjoyed it, the menu rather missed the mark – individually all the flavours were good but they didn’t quite work together (with the exception of the crayfish and salmon ravioli which was brilliant). On the room service side we ordered pizza and popcorn to have with a movie. The Lombardi pizza of parma ham, potato, roasted garlic, basil, rock salt, awa blue cheese butter – mmmm.

Overall

It hasn’t been bad... it just hasn’t been the level I expect for 5*. I think some of the issues are around infrastructure (heating, cooling, TV) which aren’t easily resolved and other issues such as housekeeping is down to a lack of attention to detail. Would I come back to this hotel again – probably not. In Queenstown there are a number of other accommodation options that I would investigate first.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!