“Vomit” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Australia
“Vomit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I have used this website many times, but never to write a bad review about a hotel, until now. I have spent 1 hour in this blurggh room and couldn't wait to get connected to my $30/day internet to write this review. I hope to help prevent people from having an awful trip by staying here. Where do I start. Let's start by saying the place is in desperate need of a face lift...hmm better still, knock it down and start again. Stains all over this worn out carpet in a room that smells of..of..something but it's just not coming to me right now - not a nice something as you would have guessed. So, I'm on my own, and they give me a room with two, almost double beds. Bathroom is tiny, old, hair on the floor, scum in the shower...It's a place that you cannot relax in - ever been to one of those? This is certainly a budget motel type accommodation. If it's your thing, great, but if not, you have been warned!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
As with the previous post, our Sleep and Go rooms are budget style accommodation, similar to twin backpacker rooms. There are no excuses for the housekeeping of this room. I would have liked the opportunity to discuss this with you in person during your stay. This would have given me the opportunity to rectify your concerns. As stated on many occasions, we have other room types to choose from. I would recommend to all reading this post, if your accommodation preferences are for a lake facing room, book Superior, Deluxe or Suite rooms.
I apologise for the obvious displease you experienced and your observations have been addressed.

John McIlwain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Any Questions please email me louisemhulme@yahoo.co.uk

My partner and i stayed here for 4 nights.

When we was dropped of at the hotel the view from the Reception is breathtaking, stunning mountains and lakes as far as the eye can see. Very near the town.

The reception is very big with friendly and helpful staff with internet access.

The resturant is lovely we highly recommend the steak, the pool is very nice and has mountain view and the spa is fantastic.

We then went to our room, 601 to say we was both shocked at the size is an understatement, the bed went all the way up to the patio door, the wardrobe was no bigger than about 2 feet and it was so noisy due to the fact they had some sort of air conditioning unit all nearly all of the time and due to the fact that our door was oppisite the pool entrance door, yes our room was pool fronted but that did not make for noise and how small the room was. To us it was nothing better than an a motel room, on checking on trip asdvior we have seen other rooms and it is clear that ours was at the bottom of the chain. I know that you do not go the Queenstown to sit in a hotel room but it is important that room is reasonable, the bath had stains in it, one of the lights did not work and we did not have an tissues in the box.

All in all we would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
We are indeed blessed with magnificent views. The room type booked was a Sleep and Go budget style room. We do have 3 other room categories, Superior, Deluxe and Suites, all of which are lake facing. I have passed your kind comments onto the Restaurant team and addressed the housekeeping issues with the relevant department. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is a valuable tool.

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We checked in to the Rydges earlier than their standard check-in time and they were able to accommodate us. After taking our bags to our room, we found we were assigned a dual twin bed room when we had wanted a single queen/king bed. Apparently our Orbitz reservation showed dual twin, but they switched us anyway and gave us a room on a higher floor with a better view of the lake.

Parking was easy in one of two lots. The desk in the room was missing its chair and, like in other places in New Zealand, internet access was pretty pricey (NZ$30/day), but those were our only complaints. We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Queenstown and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We booked rydges based on its "4 star rating". We booked a no frills "room only" on their website as we were not fussed about a view or anything.

Upon arrival, staff were helpful and checked us in on the 10th floor. On getting in to the room, we quickly discovered this was no 4 star hotel room. The room was on the back side of the hotel with no view, that was fine. However - old, tired bed and linnen, an ordinary smell. Straight away I could feel the entire floor and walls vibrating wildly - at first i thought it was an earthquake (later found out it's the laundry underneath us). There was also a loud noise from outside the window. We opened the window to discovere a huge airconditioner unit right below our window. The day we arrived was sunny, so the room had been nicely baking and was easily 30-35 degrees inside. The hotel corridors were easily 10 degrees cooler than our room which was hot, stuff and revolting. The bathroom was old, (strangly layed out) and needed a lot of work. Overall I would rate this a 2 star room at best.

On my numerous complaints to the manager at reception and requests to move rooms, I was told they could not move us until the next day as they were fully booked. My complaints were also met with "but we can provide you with a fan to keep you cool. Not much fun when the brick building was like an oven, the fan did nothing. The staff also seemed to be well versed in what to do with complaints about these rooms, and were not surprised at all with my comments. Also was advised that the entuire hotel has no air-con which is just abismal in this day and age.

Also when i looked up wotif and rydges own website, it was advertising rooms available for the night I complained and requested to move. i was told every room is occupied, however I was met with such stubbornness from staff, I could not be bothered trying to argue that they had rooms for sale still on their website. I just accepted that I was being lied to and they didn;t want us to move that night.

Reluctantly we stayed in this shocking room for one night and were offered a superior room for $25 more per night for our remaing 3 nights. I accepted as moving hotels was too much hassle.

The new room we moved into the next night was great, a proper 4 star room which different linnens and a comfier bed. A nicer bathroom and overall a much nicer experience. We were happy with this. The upgrade did not get rid of the nasty taste left in our mouth with Rydges Queenstown from the shocking room we got on the first night.

Advice - when booking the cheap rooms on their website, be aware this will possibly be a room similar the the oven we got. It should not be advertised as a regular room without a view, they should be making it perfectly clear its a sub-standard room with significant noise and heat issues.

The breakfast is ordinary and reccomend people go elsewhere. The breakfast we had in the room once as we had one early start, was only half of what we ordered on the form. We couldn't be bothered complaining as it was our last morning anyway.

The positives, it's in a quiet location with heaps of parking. Other than that, avoid it. This is not 4 star in my opinion and should be considered as average no frills hotel.

We stayed at Rydges Auckland which was great, but this was several steps down from there. Very disappointed overall.

If you do stay there, before you arrive, try to book a room on levels 1 to 6 and request to be put in a new room. not up the back in the older rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at our hotel. As I am unsure on the date of your stay, I cannot give specifics on hotel occupancy however I can confirm over the February period, both the superior and deluxe rooms were booked out over a number of nights. I appreciate your comments on our Sleep and Go Rooms. They are more of a budget style accommodation option. Yes it was hot. It is unusual to have high temperatures for an extended period as we had over that period and I understand how it would have been uncomfortable for you. I am glad we could find an alternate room for you the next day which was more to your satisfaction. I have addressed the room service issue with our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure there is no reoccurrence of this. Again, thank you for your comments, as they are a valuable tool to improve our guest experience and I apologise for the obvious displeasure you experienced.

Kind Regards
John Mcilwain
germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Rydges Lakeland Resort is one of these precious stones one should certainly see. My family and I were lucky enough to stay there and we have only kind words to say about it. The location is absolutely fantastic, the service was very attentive and the facilities are lovely. We found it quite accidentally in a web site called easy click travel while looking for our next vacation resort on the net. The view seemed very impressive; in reality it is much more amazing of course. It was so cozy staying there and we had such good fun. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Many thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to post them on Trip Advisor. I have pasted them onto the team.

New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We booked on line, it was a bargain. Parking is safe, location is great. The hotel outside looks OK, but inside looks like it needs some maintenance. When we walked in the room it smells like it hasn't had anybody stay there for a while, all the facilities are old. When we checked out, we ask for receipt for our accommodation, the lady in the counter refused, she told us "You will see it on your credit card statement", then she was busy serving other customers. We stayed in 8 different hotel/motel/B&B during our trip in south island, all the others are better than this one.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comment. I am a little perplexed on the receipt issue and I will be addressing it with the relevant Manager. The hotel is earmarked for major refurbishment and we are currently in planning stages. Thank you for your comments.

chicago, ill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We were part of a Kirra tour and stayed 2 nights at Rydges. We had a magnificent view of the lake, (second floor) our room was clean and looked newly updated. We had a free dinner one night as part of the tour and we thought it was excellent (lamb). The front desk service was very helpful. The breakfast was really good and had everything we wanted.
It is also a 10-15 minute walk to town and all major attractions.

• Stayed February 2010
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay in beautiful Queenstown. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I hope your have the opportunity to visit this part of the world again in the future.

John McIlwain

Been to Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown? Share your experiences!