“The view was magnificent, the room clean and quiet” 4 of 5 stars

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   38 - 54 Lake Esplanade, Queenstown, New Zealand   |
Ranked #50 of 61 hotels in Queenstown
chicago, ill
“The view was magnificent, the room clean and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We were part of a Kirra tour and stayed 2 nights at Rydges. We had a magnificent view of the lake, (second floor) our room was clean and looked newly updated. We had a free dinner one night as part of the tour and we thought it was excellent (lamb). The front desk service was very helpful. The breakfast was really good and had everything we wanted.
It is also a 10-15 minute walk to town and all major attractions.

• Stayed February 2010
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay in beautiful Queenstown. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I hope your have the opportunity to visit this part of the world again in the future.

Kind regards

967 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

The room was okay. I booked a Superior Lake view and ended up being on a floor called "M" which didn't really provide the views I expected as it was a floor 1/2 way between the ground floor and 1st floor, so I'm not sure how the view could be classed as superior view. The room was clean and tidy, but it's the little things that detracted from what otherwise was a comfortable stay.

a) Had to take stairs to get to our room (no elevator to all levels) and with 4 suitcases between us, having to negotiate getting past the "internet room" which was busy but located in a stairwell at the bottom of the stairs was a real hassle.

b) The ice in the room wouldn't freeze so had to wait 15 minutes for room service to deliver ice

c) The safe needed a key, but there wasn't a key in the room for the safe

d) There was black masking tape on our roof hiding something - I don't know what I didn't peel it back but I'm guessing air conditioning?

e) Computer outlet was handy, but no chairs to sit on at the desk. Had to bring the chair in off the balcony - A small little metal chair. On the 2nd day we mentioned this to recpetion and then 2 chairs appeared in the room. I thnk they had been moved and forgot to put them back before we checked in.

Like I say, clean, comfortable, but the little things

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post comments on your recent stay and observations. You are correct, the little things do matter and I have addressed each of these individual points with the relevant team members. The Superior rooms in the Front of the hotel are located on ground and Mezzanine (M) floors. Levels 1 to 6 in the front block are classified as deluxe rooms. I trust we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

we were delighted with our stay in this hotel. we were on honeymoon so we let the hotel know this and we got a lake view room and the view was amazing! the room was very clean and well equiped and we had a balcony. the hotel its self had a great breakfast and we had dinner one evening which was also lovely. our overall stay was very reasonably priced and we wpuld definately return. it was a short stroll in to the centre of town. queenstown itself is fab.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Congratulation and what a fantastic part of the world to celebrate your honeymoon. I hope you have the opportunity to return for your anniversary.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

You cant fault the location of this hotel...Across the road from the lake and a 5-10 minute stroll into town. As part of a touring group we had dinner included on one of the nights...It was a buffet and it was very dissapointiing.....The lamb was very tough and chewy and the selection wasnt great......The breakfast buffet was average, but the crispy bacon was more like burnt bacon (2 mornings in a row).......All other aspects of the hotel were above expectation

• Stayed January 2010
Your comments are important to us and I have addressed the issues mentioned with the Executive Chef. Thank you for bringing them to my attention. I am glad you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and I hope to welcome you back soon.

wellington,new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

firstly what an amazing location rydges is situated in in QT - the view to the remarkables and cecil peak was stunning!. room was good , although a little jaded, I believe all rooms are getting an over haul but thanks for a great holiday

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Queenstown is a fantastic place to spend a holiday and I am glad you enjoyed your time here. We are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment and I trust you will have the opportunity to visit us again when competed.

Lomma, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We traveled to the QT to hit the slopes and had a great time. This hotel has great staff, a cozy bar and a STUNNING view. The hotel could do with some renovating of their rooms and perhaps better instillation to keep rooms warmer during winter.

I was happy to fill-in a comment form and give lots of compliments, feedback and tips and the hotel mailed out a letter of acknowledgement. Would like to visit again in the future to see how the hotel is.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Traveled with another couple. One has vacationed in Q-town before and the other lived there for 2 winters. They picked Rydges. I thought the location was great. Across from the front of the building is the gorgeous turquoise lake with the snow-capped mountains behind. I think the building is set up so all rooms have this view. We also had a nice balcony on floor 1 or 2 that was shared and the upper floors have private balconies. Room was spacious, clean. Maybe not the newest place in town, but we loved our view. And also really liked that we weren't right in the middle of the city. It was literally a 5 minute walk to get to the restaurant / shops, and such a pretty walk. I even did this walk in stilettos - it's that's close! I would guess the hotel was a bit quiter too, just from being a few minutes outside the hustle bustle.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
We are indeed blessed with a superb location and I am happy you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back.

John McIlwain

Been to Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown? Share your experiences!