“Complaint” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Melbourne, Australia
“Complaint”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

No porter staff to help with suitcases, lack of customer service, extremely dated hotel, wife’s worst nightmare shower curtain over bath, housekeeping poor. Asked reception desk staff on details of ANZAC day ceremony and details, staff did not have a clue of what ANZAC day was about.

Room Tip: Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

After we got the keys to our room upon entry it was still dirty from the previous guests. No apology from reception just moved to another room. This wing had no lift and had to carry heavy bags up a big flight of stairs. Next room was tidy thank goodness except the bathroom tap leaked non stop and the bathroom and powerful heating that couldnt be adjusted do you couldnt spend too long in there or you felt like you would pass out or get all hot and sweaty. Having said all that the room was tidy enough, price was very reasonable. $170 for three with lake view. We have paid more for ratty motels on this trip. Laundry charges were excessive $4 for laundry and $8 for dryer. We paid $2 and $2 in dunedin at the hotel. Location was good just service let this place down.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Arriving late into Queenstown, I booked this hotel online as it was only $105 for a night. The room was great, two doubles, good shower and free WiFi. The view from the room balcony of Lake Wakatipu in the morning was an added benefit. Good value all round.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Vince S, Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Kevinfrancis65,

Thank you for your positive feedback, Great to read you enjoyed the stunning views of Lake Wakatipu & the Remarkables and overall our hospitality met your expectations.

Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I was excited to get what I thought to be a bargain online price for a reputable hotel. Unfortunately the exterior of the hotel and international reputation did not reflect the quality of the room or experience.
I stayed for two nights, a few days apart at the start and end of a hiking trip. The first night I was put in a room up the back of the hotel, facing against the hill and with a noisy service entrance right below my window. Ok so the confirmation did tell me there would not be a view.. but.. The room was quite large and clean, no bath, and what appeared to be decades-old bland and worn decor, a bit stuffy, and overall just not what I expected from a hotel chain with Rydges' reputation. On the plus side the bed was comfortable, however, I was woken early (from 7am) by truck and bus movements right outside my window.
On my second night later in the week they put me in a room down a side wing - much improved decor, but then I discovered that this time, the hotel bar and spa pool were right out side my window! I kept the curtains closed for privacy but after an exhausting day and needing an early night, the noise was unwelcome and by that time, I didn't have the energy to complain or ask for another room.
Next morning, still tired, I decided to have breakfast within the hotel as I noticed the night before that the restaurant had views over the lake, and I only had a short time before I had to go to the airport. Unfortunately, because of some conference being held at the hotel, they moved the breakfast room down the back of the hotel into a horrible, white-walled, undecorated, windowless room. The food was very ordinary - something that might have been overlooked had the surroundings been as I had expected, and paid for.
The other thing that might not be apparent to those who have not been to Queenstown before, the hotel is actually about 7 minutes walk outside of town - not too much of a bother for me, as it was not raining and I am able bodied. I would think twice about booking here if you are not especially mobile, or don't have a suitable raincoat in bad weather conditions.
I was really disappointed in the overall experience, and I would think twice about staying there again. To me, even the 'discount' online price was over-priced for what I experienced.

Room Tip: If you buy a room at online discounted price, you are likely to get the worst available room in the...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Dear BarbMNZ,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, we are concerned by your recent experience and appreciate you bringing your feedback to our attention. I do apologise for the inconvenience for the temporary relocation of our breakfast service. Overall I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations and our management team are currently reviewing the issues you have highlighted.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We loved our stay here and spend 3 nights in the hotel.

We had lake views which were amazing and a big room, the only let down was the bathroom as it was quite outdated but all else was ok!

Reception staff were lovely and assisted us with booking activities.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Bec G,

I was pleased to read your stay with us was overall positive and you enjoyed our hospitality and the stunning views of the lake and mountains.

We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you back in Queenstown soon!

Naracoorte, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed here for 3 nights booked into the budget rooms. We were happy with our stay although on first entry the room had not been aired and was very hot. I did book buget so it was nothing fancy but the beds were comfortable and everything worked. We were on the 9th level and the elevators to get you past level 6 are rather frustrating as they are slow and you need to walk the other side of the hotel to get to the second lift. Overall a good stay

Room Tip: Get a room below level 6 so you don't have to take 2 elevators
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Lou G,

Thanks for your feedback, I was pleased to read (apart from some minor issues) overall your stay with us met with your approval and our location being just a short stroll to the town centre is a huge plus

Hokitika, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed in this hotel after extending our trip to Queenstown. Our mistake. We were put in a room in the back building. The corridors were in need of an update/paint. The room itself was small with ripped curtains and also in need of redecoration . If you take a hammer and chisel you might be able to access the ice they mention in their room information. Thin walls so I was awoken at some time during the night by a crying child and later by people talking. The view of the lake was great. The bar and restaurant looked good. Checking in was slow due to only one person being available. We would NOT stay here again. Plenty of better options.

Room Tip: NOT the back building
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear swimwalkeatlaugh,

Thanks for your review of our hotel, I am sorry to hear the condition of the hotel did not meet your expectations, however I am pleased to advise the hotel is marked for a refurbishment in the near future.

Vince

Been to Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown? Share your experiences!