“Great views, lovely breakfast but not a 4 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   38 - 54 Lake Esplanade, Queenstown, New Zealand   |
Ranked #48 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Christchurch
“Great views, lovely breakfast but not a 4 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed for two nights - the hotel has fantastic views of the lake and is close to town. Try and get a deal which also includes or gives a reduced rate breakfast as it is outstanding. However I would not consider this a 4 star hotel. Apparently we were in a Deluxe Room (there are junior suites and budget rooms cheaper than this) but I would not consider this to be to deluxe standard. The rooms were small, clean and functional. Good location but if you are expecting a high class hotel you may be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the lake view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for your post. I have passed your comments onto the team regarding breakfast. The Chef thanks you. We are a mid range hotel offering a variety of room types. I believe there is a room type to suit all budgets and personal choice. I trust we will have the opportunity to host you again.

John McIlwain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with a friend. Awesome location, about a 5 minute walk to the town centre and brilliant views of Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables.

My friend is a Rydges Priority Guest (RPG) member, so we got the room at a really good rate and also had breakfast included, which is a great bonus.

The beds were very comfortable, I would have liked a slightly firmer pillow, but I am very fussy about my pillows and normally will take my own whenever I can. The room had a very efficient heater, we would turn it on and leave the room for the day and it would be nice and toasty when we came back, and then would turn down the heater overnight, and the room stayed lovely and warm. Not sure how the room would be in summer as they have an opening window rather than an air-conditioning unit. The rooms were also very quiet, I heard almost nothing from the hallway and surrounding rooms.

The bathroom was a little on the small side, but still functional. The shower was decent, didn't use the bath so I can't comment on that.

I didn't have too much to do with the staff, but the ones I did deal with were friendly and efficient. The breakfast was good, just a wee bit disappointed that there was no Marmite for my toast. There was a good range of food and drink options, and the hot food was changed regularly to ensure it stayed fresh and hot.

There is parking available, if the parking at the front is full, there is another carpark accessible by using the road that runs behind the hotel and there is street parking available. We weren't told this by the staff, but it is mentioned in their welcome guide in the room.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again, especially if I got the same rate that we got for this stay.

Room Tip: Become a Rydges Priority Guest member.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind post. I have passed your comments onto the team. Marmite, you are 100% correct. I will arrange that straight away. It is one of my favourites too!

Salem OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for several days as part of a group tour. Had a large room to myself, room opened onto to a huge veranda which several of the guests could enjoy and got a great view of the lake and mountains. Location couldn't be better, just a short walk to the shops and the wharf. Food was good. Could not ask for anything better in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
We are blessed with the dramatic scenery on offer in Queenstown and I am happy you could enjoy it from the comfort of your room. I trust you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

For $129.00 a night we got lake views, walking distance to Queenstown, and a great breakfast. For the reviewers who say not a four star, please remember you get what you pay for! We have stayed in five star hotels in New Zealand at $600 a night and I have to say I felt Rydges provides great value. A bit out dated but clean and a very good breakfast with a wide range of choice for all cultures. The staff were friendly, professional and helpful. We would have no problem staying at Rydges Queenstown again. And would recommend it to family and friends. Keep up the great work

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind comments. I am truly lucky to have such a great team and I have passed your kind comments onto them.

KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We were here for 3 days and we checked in our rooms, we were dissapointed when we found out the lake views from our hotel room were obstructed by the tower & parking space. We asked one of the lady from the front desk if the room could be changed. She was rude and not helpful at all. I wondered if because we are Asians that she treated us in a different manner??

Other comments:
Pros : Buffet Food - Overall Quite Good (except the bacon)
Cons : Room - Quite small and dated
: Bed was rather too soft

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
I am sorry you felt the room you booked was not up to expectations. I am offended that you would suggest that you were treated differently based on race. Not only do we welcome guests from all corners of the globe, we are also a multicultural employer and ensure everybody enjoys their Queenstown experience equally. If you felt the “service” was below expectations from the front desk, I apologise for the displeasure caused.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Rydges Queenstown was a big dissapointment. We checked in and checked out on the same day and moved to a true 4 Star Hotel up the road!!!
The hotel is very old and looks very run down. The free upgrade to a Deluxe Sea View room was not what you would expect. The room was tiny, just big enough for the bed. The deck and the view marginal and then there was the bathroom which was as far from modern. Hate to think what a standard room would be like - standing room only perhaps.
Would not recommend this Hotel to anyone visiting such a beautiful place. Just being the hotel and our room for less than an hour was depressing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your post. As I cannot clarify which room you booked or was allocated, it is difficult to comment other than apologise that it did not meet your expectations. I presume by “Sea View” you mean lake view unless you are referring to another property.

Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed at the Rydges in Queenstown in May 2011 for five days. The Rydges delivered on their promise of good rates and a room with a view. We loved the view and thoroughly enjoyed watching the subtle changes in the landscape across Lake Wakatipu to the Remarkables. The service was excellent and the staff were very pleasant, helpful and unobtrusive. Breakfast was ample with a good range of options. Beds were big and very comfortable. We found the sheets quite cold at first and we missed electric blankets but the heating in the room was effective and quick, ensuring a warm sleep. We asked for disability access and we could access our room without having to climb stairs. We were disappointed that the disability parking allocated was not always available but this was a minor problem as we could always drop off the disabled member of our party near the door. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. I have noted your comment regarding disability parking and will discuss with the team to seek out a solution.

John McIlwain

Been to Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown? Share your experiences!