This was our first trip to Queenstown and we thought that we should try to be different and stay outside the hustle and bustle of the lake and town centre. On paper this hotel looked pretty good, was in a great location just out of town and just seemed very interesting, and it was.
You get the feeling this hotel tries really hard to be a bit different and to project a sense of luxury. Everything had a golden tint to it, but other than that the art, furniture and other drips and drabs were just a little inconsistent. The same is true in the room, there was a lot of fake luxury, and honestly I didn't mind. It felt a little luxuries and sometimes was just a good laugh.
The room itself was pretty clean and very spacious. We didn't get a river view room, but if you can afford it I would recommend it. The view towards the shotover river is just spectacular. Of course you can always wander around the hotel and look at the view from the lounge and bar areas.
The only thing "broken" in our room was that the shower door didn't close properly. We phoned in the problem, but it was never fixed over the 3 days of our stay. The biggest issue with this hotel was, again, inconsistency. For a hotel that tries to be luxuries there was the following issues:
1. We had a twin room, but beds were singles (for a hotel like this, they show really be dual doubles).
2. Old school CRT TV. LCDs are dirty cheap these days.....
3. A large pot with no (or dead) plant in it on the Veranda (why?) along with a few cob webs here and there.
3. Weird sets of tiny tea cups that just don’t fit with the rest of the room.
4. Low quality toiletries (including shoe shine).
The things above are not deal breakers at all, but are just little things that should have been done properly for it to be a truly high class hotel.
There was a great looking pool and spa that no guests used. I didn't even know if it costs more money to use or was free. Oh yeah, there is a tennis court for use, but it has also been a bit neglected.
One major issue we had during our stay was that the hot water facility was broken, we never got proper showers the entire time. I mentioned this issue so late in this review because I don't expect this to be a continuing problem. However we did talk to the manager after complaining many times over the phone (similar to other guests) and was offered half of the cost of my stay back, which I accepted (full refund would be a more generous offer but I didn't want to push further). We were offered the use of the spa showers (which ran on gas. By the way, lovely looking spa facility, but again under-utilised).
We didn't try the restaurant so can't really comment, but it never looked busy during any service. Being where it is, I can't see many guests other than from those staying at the hotel itself.
Ultimately, with the hot water fixed and if you get a good deal, there is nothing wrong with trying this place out for a romantic trip. But there are just so many little things that they didn't get right which would have made this place great. That is what really pains me about this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Distinction Queenstown Nugget Point Boutique Hotel & Spa is located just 8 minutes from central Queenstown and 8 minutes from Coronet Peak Ski field. This intimate, boutique hotel offers stunning views of the Shotover River and mountain ranges beyond, providing a private location, perfect for a getaway.All rooms are 5-star, luxurious suites, with their own balcony or patio boasting river, alpine or garden views. Guest amenities include: on-site evening dining at Birches Restaurant- fine food and stunning panoramic views, relaxation at the Shotover Lounge Bar with open fireplaces, guest library, and balcony, and breakfast every morning in the breakfast restaurant overlooking the hotel's gardens.The Spa at Nugget Point offers massage and beauty treatments, private treatment rooms to make the most of the stunning location, and a luxurious spa suite with plunge pools, spa bath, rain showers, sauna, steam room and more.Distinction Queenstown is fully New Zealand owned and operated! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, HotelsClick, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Distinction Queenstown, Nugget Point Boutique Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Distinction Queenstown, Nugget Point Boutique Hotel Queenstown
- Distinction Queenstown, Nugget Point Boutique Hotel And Spa
- Nugget Point Boutique Resort
- Nugget Point Boutique Queenstown