“Hilton Hotels are most luxurious place to stay in Queenstown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawarau Village, 79 Peninsula Road, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand (Formerly Kawarau Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Seattle, Washington
“Hilton Hotels are most luxurious place to stay in Queenstown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Disclaimer -- we are Hilton Honors Diamond members, so we were upgraded to one of the best units, which was a full suite with kitchenette. This is a review of the suite and not a standard room.

I researched many of the inns, motels, B&Bs, hotels in Queenstown before arriving, and after seeing all these places in person, I must say that the Hilton Hotels, either the Kawarau or the Hilton itself, is by far the best place to stay here; much more luxurious, newly renovated, gorgeous view of the lake, quiet and peaceful away from the bustles of the town. I can't speak to the inconvenience of the water taxis to town as we have a car, but if you have a car, it's just an easy 10 minutes drive to town. The price for the Kawarau is also competitive to other places in Queenstown which didn't look nearly as nice from the outside, but maybe having a kitchenette instead of a standard room factored into people's decision on where to stay. But if we were to come back, we would not stay anywhere else.

Our suite unit was gorgeous. Very sleek and modern decor. Great lighting. Good entertainment system. Bathroom although small was all marbled, nice bath tub and nice big fluffy towels. Incredibly comfortable bed. Super well equipped kitchenette. With our Diamond status also came all the great Hilton perks. The complimentary bottle of Pinot Noir (which was great tasting BTW), was a very nice touch. Appreciated the room upgrade, free wifi and breakfast (again nice perks that make loyal costumers want to come back).

Since the management does read the reviews here, I'll just add one suggestion. We dealt with the young blonde staff member on check out. The entire time she only talked to and looked at my husband. While she had a lot of great suggestions on activities for our next stop to Te Anau, she was only talking to him and smiling at him, not me. I tried to make eye contacts with her and show interest, but when I did she only quickly glanced at me and then looked away. This is so even though it was my credit card that paid for our stay. I had hoped that this may be because she found my husband attractive, which I'd take as a compliment. But when we were waiting for the elevator I noticed that she was doing the same thing with the next couple behind us. Now this is just not good to ignore the female guests. I don't know if she wants attention from men or was taught growing up to give male authority higher priority, but the Hilton management here needs to train their staff not to ignore the female guests or assume that the female spouses and partners are mere accessories. I dare say that for most leisure travels, if the woman is not happy about where they are staying, the couple will stay elsewhere. But if the man is not happy but the woman is, the couple will stay where the woman wants to stay. This is because if the couple is in the honeymoon phase, the man would want to please the woman. If they are past the honeymoon phase, the man just won't want to hear about it from the woman about why she's unhappy. So "ladies first" is always a good policy for hotels servicing couples.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear probativev

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
I was so pleased you enjoyed yourselves and found your room so lovely.

I do apologise you felt the receptionst did not include you in the conversation. I have spoken to the team about this and no one knowingly does this, however I have reinforced they engage with every guest during their stay with us.
I understand it is important for guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and I was very pleased to receive your feedback.
Thank you again for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Queenstown.

Marlene Poynder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

The Kawarau Hotel is quite new and the rooms are at a high standard, though a bit on the small side. Our room had now view and the cost to upgrade to a room with a view was high.
Be aware that this hotel is at least 15 minutes drive into Queenstown's centre, with a quaint little one lane bridge on route that can hold you up for about 5 minutes.
There is a water taxi that stops at the hotel that takes you to the town, but is expensive.

Dear angel2Australia

Thank you for placing your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
The complimentary hotel shuttle operates hourly into Queenstown and the water taxi is a fun and novel way to travel also. At just $15 return this makes an economical journey into downtown queenstown.
There has been great debate over our 'quaint little one lane bridge'. In recent years the volume of traffic and increased dramatically and has forced authorities to address the possibility of installing a new dual lane bridge.
Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kawarau Hotel one day soon.

Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed three nights here whilst 'playing' in the Queenstown area.

The hotel is located a little way out of town alongside the lake with great views over the water. A water taxi shuttle runs into town from the hotel jetty and there is a great running/walking track from the hotel along the lake side. Just a pity that for a large hotel it doesn't have a fitness centre.

Our room was very clean, well equipped and fitted out to the highest quality. The only strange thing was the inability to switch off the bathroom extractor fan - a waste of electricity, especially in the middle of the night.

The complex has a good bar with live music and some good eateries if you don't want to venture into town. There is also a booking agent located by reception who is very helpful, even if you don't book through him he is very willing to pass on local knowledge. The whole staff were very friendly and helpful.

Great place to base yourself to enjoy the outdoor delights of the area.

Dear Angus Diver

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

The gym is located in the Hilton Hotel along with the pool and steam rooms.

I do apologise for the noisy extractor fan. These are required as a health and safety measure, however we are currently implementing a solution to the noise.
I was pleased to see you found everyone friendly and helpful.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

This is a really lovely hotel in Kawarau Village. Stylish, clean, and well appointed. Neat little water taxi to Queenstown. Great value.
That's why it's such a shame that the front desk service is just so... disappointing (at best). The lady who greeted us on arrival (the manager according to her name tag) was painfully slow registering us. That would have been fine if her responses to all of our questions weren't so surly and obviously unhelpful. For example, when I asked if the rooms had wifi, she said yes, but then I had to ask how you connect and how much it costs. When I asked if she had a local map, she said yes, but then I had to ask if I could have a copy. When I asked if there was a hotel shuttle to Queenstown, she said yes, but failed to tell me that you have to pre-book the shuttle. When I asked if there was a local grocery, she said yes, but then I had to ask her to show me on the map.
You get the picture. Aggressively unhelpful. Hilton fail.

• Stayed February 2012
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Dear Jmax0000
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
I do apologise the service you received from the reception team member was not acceptable. Your feedback is much appreciated as this enables us to address matters that need immediate attention.
I will ensure extra training is given to our frontline team members to make sure we deliver the high quality service our guests deserve.
Thank you once again and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Kawarau Hotel sometime soon so you are able to enjoy a more memorable experience.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I am writing this review from the hotel. SO impressed by the beautifully styled rooms. The decor is top class. But my biggest surprise was a note under my door informing me that I had free use of the Internet connection during my stay! This was unexpected & most welcome. I've never stayed somewhere in Australia & had this kind gesture. Queenstown is just spectacular & I will be telling everyone of my friends that they must visit & stay at the lovely Kawarau Hotel. The bed is so comfortable, amazing.

Room Tip: You can't beat "lake view"
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear Anne M
I am so pleased you are enjoying your stay at Kawarau Hotel and thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.
It is great you will tell all your friends to come and stay and I look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.
Bendigo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Booked through agoda and got a great price for new guest room. Was thrilled to find it was a mini apartment. Had separate bedroom, bathroom, lounge & kitchenette. Kitchenette had oven and everything you need if you wanted to cook. Had a beautiful pizza at the bistro. Well fitted out room very quiet except for the fan in the bathroom, they don't turn off (air extraction fan). I didn't notice when I slept thankfully. We had an end room looking at remarkables, could see the lake out our bedroom window. $22 for taxi to airport. Would stay there again if we had an early flight out. A bit far from town if you want to be in thick of it, but we didnt, nice and peaceful with plenty of food choices on site. They have a courtesy bus to q/town and water taxi for $15 too.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were put at the end of a hall-great, no traffic.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Shaz12345
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay in the Kawarau Hotel.
I was so pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves.
The bathroom fans have been an issue for noise but were required as a health and safety regulation. We are currently sourcing a solution to this and hope to have a quieter option in place very soon.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kawarau Hotel sometime soon.
Fraser, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We loved Queenstown. It was one of our favorite places that we visited in New Zealand. Most of New Zealand is pretty sleepy but Queenstown has more nightlife and action than other towns. It is quite scenic in Queenstown with more adrenaline rush activity's to try than any other city in NZ. We booked the Kawarau Hotel because it looked nice online and they were offering a great deal for the area. Yes, this hotel is outside of Queenstown on the other side of the lake near the airport. If you have a car it is not a big deal because it is only about a 10-15 minute drive to the hub of Queenstown. We loved staying here. There is a nice running or walking trail along the lake right outside your door. The room was one of the nicest rooms we staying in all of New Zealand. The price booked on Orbitz was a deal for the quality of the room. Beautiful views out your window on the 3rd floor. A great kitchen to cook in. We made dinner in once on our 3 night stay. You have a small fridge, small oven, and microwave, not to mention everything you need- wine glasses, silverware, wine opener, can openers and dishes. Oh and we had air condition! The bathroom was nice and a good size. I liked the floor plan the living room can separate from the bedroom by closing a sliding door. The bed was comfortable and I had one of my best nights sleep at this hotel. My only complaint is that the balcony was small and too small to sip wine and eat dinner on. A air condition box is on it so it really makes it so you can stand on but it is basically useless because it is so small. I would have preferred a larger balcony to enjoy the views and sit on sipping wine after a busy day of jet boating and sightseeing. Our last night we were tired and stayed at the hotel and went to Stack's Pub. We enjoyed beer by the fireplace while watching the Australian Open. It looks like they have good food here and it was pretty busy. I liked it here. We ended the evening at the Hilton Wakitipu Grill for an appetizer and a glass of wine. We sat in the bar by the fireplace and the bartender provided excellent service. He was from Argentina and he made us feel very welcome. If the weather had been warmer I would have liked to enjoy sipping my wine by the fire pit outside. However inside at the bar, we still have beautiful views of the lake. Kawarau Hotel made us feel more relaxed because it was quiet and a great place to stay. I would definitely stay here again.
If you don't have a car- I would stay in Queenstown- the buses and water taxis seemed pretty irregular. If you have a car the drive to and from Queenstown isn't a big deal at all. Parking in Queenstown was pretty easy. We parked about 3 blocks from town and walked in. Don't let the distance from Queenstown stop you from staying here.

Dear Bcogswell
Thank you for your detailed feedback on your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves and you were able to make good use of the many facilities in the village.
The water taxi and hotel shuttle run every hour to and from Queenstown to allow guests to enjoy a trip into the bustle of downtown Queenstown.
Thank you again for sharing your comments and I look foward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting Queenstown.
Marlene Poynder

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown? Share your experiences!