“Review for 2 Bedroom Residence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Peninsula Road | Kawarau Village, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland
“Review for 2 Bedroom Residence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Queenstown was really Plan B after the Bluff Oyster Festival was cancelled due to bad weather, so we decided to salvage whatever that was left from our holiday and made the 2 hour drive from Invercargill. Some rain and only a possibility of snow was forecasted for Queenstown. I decided on Hilton because of the word "Resort & Spa" suggesting there were at least some activities we could take refuge from the weather. Also, I happened to have my Hilton Honours number with me which made reservations over the phone very easy.

First impressions on the resort were very good as we drove past the various buildings leading up to the front desk. This was further reinforced by the pleasant smell we were greeted with when we entered the hallway from the bottom covered carpark.

The rooms were also very well appointed and tastefully decorated and had a balcony with jawdropping lakefront views. The 2 bedroom was a twin and a double. The residence had TV with Sky (PaidTV), lounge with gas fireplace, kitchen and dining. It is also equipped with wash and dryer which turned out to be handy. Magazines on the table is always a good indication of a luxury resort.

We then checked out the pool which was nice enough to make us drive to Billabong in town just to buy some swimwear. The changing rooms are also well appointed with showers, toilet and a steam room + sauna. I thought the pool seemed a little cold temperature wise and would be a bit of a shock if you got in immediately from the hot spa. But the area was very tastefully decorated.

I know many here complain about the cost of water taxis and the infrequent free shuttle. Although we had a car, we wanted to take the water taxi just for the experience of the ride via a lake, but our trip was just too short.

There is also a theatre which screens at 3pm and 8:30pm daily. I wanted to just have a look but it was not in use and I could not access it without advance booking.

The only dining I got to try was Stacks which was OK. Lunch for 3 was about $100. An ice cream at the snack shop was $6.50. The prices were not cheap as many have already pointed out, but Queenstown as a whole, is not a cheap place for a holiday, so I did not think it was too bad. The noodle place and Wakatipu Grill was closed during my stay otherwise I would have tried them too. So we drove to town and thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Captians Restaurant serving sensible portions.

Breakfast cost $40 for Continental and only an extra $10 to add a cooked breakfast. We had one $50 cooked option delivered to our room which was more than adequate for the 3 of us to share. The breakfast took a long time to be delivered and no one was answering the phone when we placed the order. When breakfast finally arrived we found out we were snowed in which also prevented some staff getting to work. We could not leave the property until about midday which meant missing our flight from Dunedin that day. The concierge was very helpful helping me to contact AVIS for snow chains which unfortunately was not possible on the Holden SV6 I rented. At the end I gave up trying to make that flight and rescheduled to depart later. We can't think of a better place to be stranded than the Hilton Queenstown.

I selfishly wanted to give this place 1 star so as to improve the probability of me getting a room at short notice when I return the next time, just in case. But decided to give you the 5 star the property and the staff deserved.

Here are some points for improvement that were minor and did little to impact my rating;
- Filters of the Dryer at the Residences needs a good vacuum and clean once in a while, there was fluff everywhere when we used it.
- I went outside in the snow on Level 2 (pictured) but could not get back in and the doors at the bottom (leading to the conference rooms) was also locked. Brrr.... fortunately someone from the pool saw me and let me in.
- Better signage. From the road, I programmed on the GPS, 79 Peninsula Rd and it took me right past the hotel. I recommend another sign about 50 - 100 metres before the entrance.
- From Level 1 of Residences after exiting carpark, there are signs pointing towards the Pool/Gym but if you follow the signs it leads to a deadend. There should be more signs pointing to the link to the main building on Level 2.
- Not too happy about the early check in fee, I arrived at about 12:30pm, (check-in 3pm), this is the first time I had to pay one.
- The TV has a setting to turn on/off without the chime. We could not access this setting. This is useful for someone to turn the TV on/off without possible waking others who are already asleep.

When I returned to work, I saw a copy of the National Business Review on my desk that headlined that the Hilton Queenstown had been sold to the Chinese. I hope this does not impact the resort in the future as I have stayed in some shockingly poor Chinese "5 star" hotels.

Room Tip: All rooms at Residence have a lake view. Next time I must remember to stock up the fridge with drink...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Me and partner stayed in one of the Hilton's relaxation rooms. It was one of the best hotel stays we've both experienced. Elegant, cosy and quiet with stunning views over Lake Wakatipu, the room was perfect. The only suggestion I have would be that there is some shelter above the hot tub, as due to the rain and snow, we didn't get the chance to use it, which was a shame. The property itself is located near the airport, a short drive from Queenstown, which we found ideal - away from the potential noise of the town, but accessible enough for the use of amenities. There is also a supermarket handy at the nearby Remarkables shopping centre if needed. Overall a wonderful, relaxing stay, and we would not hesitate to return. Thank you Hilton Queenstown.

Room Tip: The relaxation room for stunning views, and a private hot tub.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Relaxing, beautiful location, away from the town centre but still within accessibility. All facilities are fantastic with plenty of options of things to do. Love the Pool, the bath, the king size bed.
Only thing missing is a little kitchenette in our room, enough to make a snack.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton in April for a long weekend, and as always it didn't disappoint. Our room was just fabulous, warm, spotlessly clean and very well presented to a high. There was a fantastic view of the lake from the very large balcony.
We have stayed at the Queenstown Hilton several times, and it always delivers, quality, comfort, excellent customer service, which makes for a very relaxing time.
Top marks the Hilton, you did it again! Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Yokohama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We booked this room at an advance purchase rate which was an insanely good deal. After traveling the rest of New Zealand and staying at various "luxury" cottages and privately owned accommodations around the country, we were happy to end our journey at a true luxury hotel and our four days here were so refreshingly perfect. First of all, this resort is absolutely stunning!! The views of Lake Wakatipu from around the lobby and beyond are exquisite while sitting next to a cozy fireplace. I've stayed at Hilton properties before but this one is by far the best. It's interior design and architecture are stunningly beautiful and its location on Lake Wakatipu is serene. We were worried a little bit about being too far from town, but we had a car and in all honestly it's just a short drive so the location is perfect. This place truly is a relaxing resort.

I've stayed at a lot of luxury hotels around the world and this one is among the most memorable. My expectations were exceeded with our room, the standard king guest room. It's absolutely gorgeous and has that perfect luxury retreat feel to it. The rooms are really spacious and best of all, the bathrooms are enormous with double sinks and the bathtub is like a swimming pool. The Peter Thomas Roth bath products were also a fine touch. We loved the fireplace and the ease at which we could turn it on and off. This room was so comfortable and charming and the bed was great. The sheets weren't starchy and we slept the best we did the entire trip.

I also spent a morning at the spa and the massage was terrific. The girl did a great job at listening to my particular massage requests. The pool and spa facilities here were also beyond expectations. Probably one of the most beautiful indoor pools I've seen.

We ordered room service twice, and yes it's quite pricy, but not above average prices for room service. I actually ordered off the kids menu and got the grilled chicken and vegetables and it was excellent. The fries with aioli were also great, as well as the fish and chips. The menu wasn't extensive but we enjoyed our meal. We also opted to purchase 2 breakfast vouchers for a discounted rate upon checkin and it was a good deal. The breakfast was great.

We also opted to self park instead of valet which is really just a short walk around the corner to the other Hilton property. We had no issues with this at all, it was all really quite close and convenient.

Lastly, the service here was great. The front desk and concierge went out of their way to help us locate a great place for dinner. All in all, we had a terrific stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Slightly over pricy otherwise it's a cool place. A better service would have definately got 10/10. Also wanted to order food off the hotel menu as there were not many choices but they advised to order from menu only as an Indian I dind't find anything good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day stay. Wow! One of the best hotels we have stayed in. From start to finish the staff were efficient and friendly. A special mention to Martin and Juliette on the breakfast shift. Perfect coffee! We will be back

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple