“Disappointed by Stacks Pub” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawarau Village, Peninsula Rd, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Disappointed by Stacks Pub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Kawarau Falls Hilton was part of a lake lunch cruise. On arrival we were directed up the steps to Stacks Pub – a sports bar style bar-restaurant. Orders from the 6 choice menu were taken quickly, but before we even received our drinks there was a brief fire alarm break. We were barely evacuated when we were called back, but that’s when the lunch experience fell apart. The bar/restaurant was 50% full and had two “waiter/barmen” at the front end, but ground to a halt. I thought that the drinks were slow, but that was just the beginning – the food took forever and despite being told by Captain Wayne that we would have plenty of time to wander around, we were actually late back to the cruiser. The front end staff kept blaming it on the gas supply but this didn’t have any credibility when they sat around chatting to each other when the first course was bread and dips and later, dirty plates sat on the table for unacceptable periods. When we were eventually served, the mains were good. My wife had a warm chicken salad (which presumably could have been cooked on an electric hotplate) which she told me was up to normal standard, and I had a delicious lamb shoulder which was presumably slow cooked, then baked. Unfortunately about 40% of the serve was lamb fat. On our set menu, we had 2 choices and we both chose the apple and blueberry crumble which we agreed was very good (after again waiting an unacceptable time). 2 stars overall to Stacks Pub - 4 stars for food but zero for staff approach and food delivery.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear croftonMelbourne

Thank you for taking the time to place your review. I do apologise in regards to the unsatisfactory service you experienced during your recent visit to Stacks Pub.
I appreciate your feedback and you can be assured that your concerns have most certainly been discussed with our Food & Beverage Manager.

Hilton prides itself on our guests receiving a memorable experience in the food and beverage outlets and I regret that this was clearly not the case when you dined in Stacks Pub.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the high standard of service I know we can and do provide.

Andrew Nisbet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here recently on our honeymoon, The room was awesome - Shist fireplace & gas log fire. Huge modern bathroom, Fantastic romantic views.Fantastic price. Very attentive service from the staff. Will definitely recommend to all

Dear Mike and Eva M

Congratulations on your recent wedding!

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed your honeymoon and thank you for sharing your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay, maybe for your anniversary?

auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff were enthusiastic, motivated and willing however they lacked leadership and training. Guests repeatedly got frustrated with this as staff got embarrassed not knowing how check in procedures worked on the computer to trying to serve breakfast in a full restaurant.

The most disappointing issue was the design/build of the complex and the noise it generated and funneled. The apartment we had was like staying inside a bus stop. Busses started from early morning outside the bedroom windows picking up passengers. The design of the complex and the road pavers used made it sound as if the vehicles were inside the apartment. People walking passed at any time and talking in normal voices were heard in the apartment.

No phone in lounge area and no bedside alarm in main bedroom?

Room Tip: do not stay in apartment 3410. Apartments that face west and have the corridor between them and the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear scottyAuckland

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your stay.
I was sorry to see you did not enjoy yourselves. Unfortunately vehicle noise will always be an issue to control when groups are travelling by coach.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay again sometime in the near future

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what an amazing place! Staff were really friendly, I dropped my bag and a member of staff was quick to pick it up for me, he showed me to the lifts and directed me to my room. The views are just amazing around the hotel, set on the quiet side of the lake but only about a 10min drive to queenstown. The place is just amazing, b were the best and the room has a lovely cozy fire, all really high quality fittings in the bathroom too, and a lovely rain shower. Best place I've ever stayed, and I have been all over the world. Only negative I would say was the food in stacks pub, I felt it was slightly over priced in terms of quality, but taste is a very personal opinion ,so I feel it's unjustified to mark it down . All in all an amazing place! I will be back for sure. Thankyou

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Golfgti220

Great to see you enjoyed yourself following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.

Thank you for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel has a wonderful location and the suites are very special however there are some serious weaknesses particularly with the front desk staff. They lacked knowledge of the area and the special one button call system never worked. it always gave a busy signal and required repeated calls directly to the front desk. This was the only hotel we stayed in for nearly a month in new zealand that did not provide free wi fi in our room. Other large hotels and small ones all provided free service for our iPads and I phones. Only Martin ( valet service) was outstanding . It should be noted that due to its location one must have a car or be forced to take a water taxi that ran hourly to the city. There were many alternatives to eating in the hotel but they were all either in town or near the airport. With a car the hotel is fine, quiet and spacious rooms. Once they fix their staffing problem and realize we are in the 21 century it will be a top notch property.

Room Tip: reuest a suite on fifth floor or above .
Dear phjed

Thank you for taking the time to share your views following your stay. I appreciate your feedback regarding the internet. I am pleased to advise we do offer complimentary internet in the Hilton Hotel Business Centre and Hilton Worldwide are currently reviwing the internet system and charges.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.

Ohope, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The room facilities were great and totally luxurious. The view from the lake was very lovely and picturesque. The travel to the hotel away from the CBD was totally worth it. Wished I could stay much longer since I only stayed a few days. The room service was prompt and efficient. Will definitely come back again and stay in this beautiful hotel. Highly recommended for the whole family.

Room Tip: Booking in higher floors will naturally give you a much better view of the lake and surroundings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TES983

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Hi we stayed at the hilton for 4 nights for my husbands birthday, and it was somewhere we had really wanted to stay.

There was some great service, the people in the breakfast and bar areas were so nice and friendly, and dinner in the restaurant was lovely.
Staff around the hotel were friendly always saying hello.
Room service girls very lovely.

The magic button for service needs looking at, 1st time rang for room service had to redial 6 times, as no answer then got cut of.
2nd time next day needed a toilet roll pushed magic no answer rang and rang, had to go down to reception and ask.

Same day wanted to order room service pushed magic no answer after several calls, ended up having to go down to reception once again to order dinner.

The person on reception put order in, after me asking twice for aioli with the fries, didn't get it when food arrived.

A couple of the people on reception are lovely, also some could have better customer service.

We did email last november to stay as well but never got a response to our booking email, so decided to go to sydney instead.
This time i phoned hilton instead of an email, 1st couple of calls not very helpful what so ever,
3rd time got lovely helpful girl, and emails answered each time.
Room was nice and clean.

Probably would not stay again.

Regards Sharon.

Room Tip: If you really want to be in the rooms right on lake not 2nd row back make it really clear, as i mad...
Dear Shazza

Thank you for placing a review following your stay.
I do apologise for the lack of service. We are continuing to train our new team members to ensure we deliver consistency as our prime goal.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Queenstown in the very near future.

Andrew Nisbet

Been to Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!