“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawarau Village, Peninsula Rd, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #19 of 61 hotels in Queenstown
adelaide
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Hilton Queenstown and we had a fantastic stay. The check in went very smooth and the front desk staff even escorted us to our room so we did not get lost and they gave us a mini tour of the hotel on our way to the room which was a great way to get acquainted with the hotel. The room was spacious and the bathroom was very nice. The view was the room over looked lake Wakatipu which was awesome. Great to wake up to every morning. The black out curtains also worked brilliantly (almost too good we slept in a lot) The rooms were serviced fantastically everyday.

The breakfast was delicious and the omelette chef (Tom I think) made the best omelettes in the morning. The meals in Stacks pub are huge and taste great---- the ribs are to die for. The hotel is about 20 minute drive from Queenstown but they do have a handy water taxi service that runs every hour and it only takes 10 minutes to get there. You can also catch the bus but that takes about 20 mins.

Nathan in Concierge (Chief Concierge) also did a fantastic job in both locating my lost luggage and also booked a table for 4 people at the Botswana Butchery in Queenstown and he got us a private room. The whole concierge team did a fantastic job.

Room Tip: Book a lake view room. Its worth it
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear suede16

Great to see you enjoyed your stay at Hilton Queenstown and thank you for sharing your comments.
Thank you also for your kind remarks regarding Tom and Nathan, they will be happy to know they helped make your stay more enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay sometime in the near future.

966 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in a delux king room and found it to be of great value. Big king bed with a gas fire in the room. The bath room is huge with his and her sinks and a big bath tub. We stayed for 2 nights and found the bed to be the most comfortable bed ever. I do travel around a little bit and their bed is up there as the best. The room was comfortable and very quiet. Few minor things when we first walked in to the room, there was a dead bee on our bed and the blinds in the bathroom could do with a good dusting. But apart from that we had the most comfortable and enjoyable stay. Had lunch at the Wakatipu Grill and would highly recommend. Also appreciated the late check-out. We will be back

Dear BKK2525

Nice to hear you will be back and thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay.

I have advised our executive housekeeper to ensure her team are delivering the high standard of service consistently.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

best hotel for everything.. price, buffet breakfast, rooms, staff and facilities...we really are very happy guests ...
the staff were so helpful. we have stayed in alot pf places but this one gets my total thumbs up, which is huge for me as im sensitive and complain ALOT lol.
-the room were dark so you can sleep
-the bed OMG i want one!
-bathroom HUGE
-the spa service.. OMG get massaged by Carla.. AMAZING (once again i get massaged alot )she made it feel tantric (dont let ur men onto her) lol
-the food - just devine
-Bufffet OMG everything you want! can even make your own fresh juice in a second! and all coffee & fresh hot brekky included
--valet was only $10 a day and well worth it
-and then theres the view.. ahhh just bliss everywhere you go from your room to the restaurants etc.

definitely flying back here just to stay here! I so wish every Hilton was the same.

this place is NEW and well open planned not squished or busy! a must stay for everyone. oh and we paid upfront a couple weeks before and got the room way cheaper per night :)

Dear Sharn M

Wow - great to see you enjoyed yourselves following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.

Thank you for sharing your comments and I will be sure to let Carla know how much she was appreciated.
Glad to hear you will be back and I look forward to welcoming you.

Auckland, NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed with my two boys for a night before commencing, then after completing, the Kepler Track.

Consistent with my experience at every Hilton hotel that I've stayed in (especially in NZ), the hotel was excellent. The standard of all common facilities is sensational. The pool and spa were fantastic (especially welcome after finishing the walk!), we had a superb dinner at the Kawerau Grill (and the service was spot on - I note some other reviewers have not been so lucky) seated in the terrace with stunning views across the lake. I also had a drink at Cru wine bar - which had a great vibe.

The decor and furnishings throughout are absolutely first class - from the lobby area, to the rooms (the bathrooms are a real highlight - huge and wonderfully appointed), bar, restaurant etc.

The location of the hotel (at the foot of the Remarkables and by a lake) is wonderful. Getting to and from Queenstown wasn't a particular issue - we used the water taxi which was actually added to the fun (though it was summer and weather amazing).

One of the aspects of the trip that I was happiest about, was how reasonably priced our stay was, having regard to the quality of the hotel. I booked well in advance on a non-refundable basis via the Hilton web site and got the room for $225 per night. An absolute steal.

Amongst all the above hyperbole, I'm trying to think of a couple of aspects that could be improved. These are:
- Cost of in-room wi-fi. NZD29 for 24 hours is a bit steep for what, these days, is as basic a requirement as hot running water. To be fair, the Hilton aren't the only hotel that perpetrate this rort. But it is an irritant.
- Check in was a bit slow (though this didn't materially impact on our enjoyment - as will be apparent from the above).

In short, the hotel is superb. I've already booked a return trip winter skiing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear PeteMissingham

Great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and congratulations on completing the Kepler Track!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate your comment regarding the internet. As noted in previous reviews, we do offer complimentary wifi in the Hilton Business Centre.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the winter to enjoy some skiing.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a very good hotel in a unique location across the Lake from the town. That is a plus point for us as we could get the water Taxi into town which is great. Just have a drink in the "Pinot pit" have a chat with the other hotel clients and wait for you water taxi then get a boat into the wharf in town. The Wakatipu Drill restaurant was very good and I will definitely eat there again and with a pre and post dinner drink around the pinot pit it is a perfect night. The rooms are spacious and the spa pool and jacuzzi was great after a hard day biking or a not so hard day playing golf. We will definitely try to stay here every time we go to Queenstown which is a least a couple of times a year.... in fact we are going this weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear JaseK

My apologies for overlooking this reply.

Thank you for sharing your comments and I am pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves.

It is great to hear you will make Hilton Queenstown your local when visiting Queenstown.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Broadbeach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We travelled from the Gold Coast to experience Queenstown in summer. We got an amazing internet 'special' deal so for the Hilton brand this was excellent value for money. We had a level 6 lakeside deluxe room with aircon and a romantic gas log fire for the chilly nights. The views were spectacular and the bed absolutely heaven to sleep on. Room Service as you would expect was spot on and the two bottles of complimentary water each night and chocolates with the turn down service were a nice bonus. All staff were professsional, courteous and efficient, however make a big point of speaking with Nathan the Head Concierge on your arrival. Nathan is a real professional and his customer service approach is first class and he takes a personal interest in designing an itinery to timing and your own specific capabilities whether you are an adrelin junky, bush walker, winery buff or couch potato. Nathan's local knowledge means you don't miss out on the 'must do' things to do in the time you have available. On a lighter note Nathan reminded us of the Concierge in Pretty Woman (for those who remember the movie with Richard Geere and Julia Roberts), he makes things happen and has great contacts. With all the Hilton and Queenstown had to offer, we rated our trip a 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Level 6 lake views are perfect in Summer months
Dear OceanPacific_11

Wow 10 out of 10 - thank you for such a positive review.
It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves and experienced a lovely spell of weather.

Thank you for your comments regarding Nathan. He will be encouraged to know he helped make your stay more enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was my second stay at the Hilton in Queenstown and it is simply the most stunning location and a truly luxurious hotel. My company uses the Hilton globally and I have stayed in a number of Hilton's and this one is right up there when it comes to luxury and location.

My first visit was shortly after they opened to hotel so service teething issues were to be expected with seasonal workers flowing in and out of the hotel before they have experience in the details of the area etc. It was however so good that I decided to return with my partner and some friends in the summer. The hotel was, as expected, fabulous.

Disappointing though is that the service appears to not have improved. All 3 the restaurants had slow service with staff that were ill equipped with knowledge of both hotel and regional facilities. That being said, a quick rundown is as follows:

Front office staff are friendly and valet was tended to promptly. Room service was painfully slow at 60 minutes on average. The rooms are well appointed and if you can, upgrade to a lakefront view. It is unreal. The bathrooms are huge and have superb baths and showers. The Wakatipu Grill (flagship restaurant) staff were poor for such an exclusive restaurant. The Cafe service was terrible as we waited 25 minutes for a coffee and a muffin when we were the only guests waiting for food and a drink. Stax's bar was busy but the service was slow again. The food was good pub fair but nothing special. We had a major incident with Me&Mee, the noodle bar on premises which I will not go into detail here but the hotel management dealt with it well and the food was sensational.

The indoor pool and gym are world class and the spa is an absolute must.

If you're expecting 5 star service you will be disappointed, but the actual hotel location and facilities make up for it.

Ideally you'll have a rental car as the hotel is a little out of the way and cab-fare to and from Queenstown is steep.

There is a jetty which can be used for boat docking.

There is also a ferry to and from QT which docks outside the hotel which is convenient.

Room Tip: Lakefront or lake view is a must.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RudiHefer

It was good to see you enjoyed your second stay at Hilton Queenstown and thank you for sharing your comments.

I do apologise you found the service not up to the standard expected. I am happy to say we have implemented some new procedures to manage busy periods more efficiently. Extra training has been structured to ensure we are delivering a high standard of service consistently 100% of the time.

I do hope you will continue to stay with us when you next visit Queenstown.

Andrew Nisbet

Been to Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!