“Great Hotel which has much to offer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawarau Village, Peninsula Rd, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #19 of 61 hotels in Queenstown
Ede
“Great Hotel which has much to offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a great hotel. It was my first time in a Hilton Hotel, but sure it was an excellent experience. The room was awesome, with a fireplace, balcony, a bath, best bed during my NZ tour and also the best shower i had during the tour (choice of rain dance for 2 people or normal shower). I had to book one night extra because my wife and i got a food poisoning and they did everything to make things less miserable for us: free water and fruit, made sure our next hotel was informed and a nice discount on the extra night. Among other things this hotel has to offer: 4 restaurants, a bar, beautiful designed heated indoor 25m length pool (!), spa, steam room, sauna, affordable massages, free cinema (and you can book a private session), free internet downstairs (not in room) and free dvd rental. One small drawback is that it is a 15 minute drive from queenstown centre, or you can take a water taxi (every hour) or bus trip (every 30 min). Its not cheap offcourse but the value for money is very good. Next time i come to queenstown i would definitely book again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Louis

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I understand that it is important for guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and your feedback is most appreciated. It is always pleasing to hear when we exceed our guests expectations.
I am sorry you were not well and I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon.

970 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We absolutely loved Queenstown and the Hilton was the perfect stay. I know it was a drive into the town, but the location was so beautiful. The rooms were large, elegant and comfortable. The views could not be beat. The bathroom was like a retreat. We found the service to be excellent. We had a lot of questions and used the concierge quite a few times for reservations and help. We had a rental car and you just can't be free self-parking. We ate breakfast at their buffet and it was delicious. We also had one dinner at the sports bar that was very good. We stayed two nights and didn't want to leave! It was so peaceful. I think we will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear ATLtravelbuff

It was great to see you enjoyed your stay at HIlton Queenstown.
Thank you for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are visiting Queenstown.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Checked into the Queenstown Hilton with a small group in November 2012. We agonized over which Queenstown hotel we would book and in the end, the Hilton was the only one that could provide all of us (7 suites) with a suite each that had lake views as well as a spacious balcony to sit on overlooking the lake.

In addition, the Hilton is a brand new facility as it was only opened in 2011. They have also secured one of New Zealand's top chef's in Peter Thornley, who is Michelin trained and who has an ability to create meals of gastronomic delight. - my stomach can testify to that, as can my taste buds!

So, why the agonizing over which hotel? - The Hilton is located a 10 minute drive from Queenstown, so if you don't have a car or intend spending a lot of time walking around Queenstown this may not be the hotel for you. - That's really the only drawback, that being said, being in town may not be a priority for you.

In any case, the facility is wonderful. The Lake wakatipu suites we stayed in all had gas log fireplaces and ample balconies with tables and chairs to sit on. We also had a well appointed seperate lounge room and 2 large screen TV's. The bathrooms featured shower,bath and twin vanity basins.- The suites on the ground floor also have outdoor jaccuzi spa's instead of balconies, however we felt it would be a little to cool for these in November. - Instead we spent countless happy moments sitting on the balcony sipping away and staring at the snow covered "Remarkables" as well as their reflection on the lake.

The hotel is situated in the newly completed Kawarau village and it is surrounded by beautiful, freshly landscaped walking paths which can lead you all the way into Queenstown ( about a 90 minute brisk walk).

On the lower floor sits the Wakatipu grill. This "Earthy" facility has an "edgy" feel and its ultra modern fit out lends it to a modern air of sophistication. - Outside a huge raised circular pit fire sits pride of place in the middle of an enormous circular lounge which surrounds it and this is a very pleasant setting to enjoy a few quiet drinks whilst chatting either day or night.

Not far from the grill, there is a pier on the other side of the landscaped walking path and water taxis into Queenstown frequent whenever needed for the 5 minute water ride into Queenstown. - The hotel also runs a regualr shuttle bus service to/from Queenstown.

We ate one night at the "Me and Mee" noodle bar which is opposite the Hilton. - Peter Thornley told us he owned this restaurant and the menu as well as the "to die for" Asian styled food did not disappoint - Yummy !!!

The spa is large and spacious and the team there know what they are doing and provide a professional service of a very high standard. - not to be missed, but book well ahead as it books out quickly, despite its large capacity.

We found the front of house staff to have a good standard of culture, they were friendly and efficient in their duties.

We did travel into Queenstown quite a few times during our five night stay, sometimes by foot, sometimes by water taxi and sometimes by car or bus. All in all the travel didn't bother us and we found the walks especially to be lovely. - Therefore, the proximity for us was never an issue.

We saw some other lovely hotels in Queenstown whilst we were there, however in the end we proffered our more scenic and slightly remote location.

We can definately reccommend and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a Lake Wakatipu suite. - These are in a seperate building well forward of the main building. The...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear RelaxWithMax

It is nice to receive such a positive detailed review.
I am pleased you enjoyed yourselves and great to see your expectations were met.

Yes we are lucky to have Peter Thornley on board as our Signature Chef. I am sure he will be happy to hear your kind comments.

Thank you for taking the time to place your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are in Queenstown.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a few days earlier in the month. The staff were excellent, always welcoming and eager to assist. We stayed in a Deluxe Lake View room and were very happy with its level of finish and appointments.

The king size bed was fantastic, although I found the fluffy pillows uncomfortable. My wife thought they were great, you can't please everyone I guess!

The breakfast in room was a much better option than the morning buffet, which was quite disappointing compared to other comparable hotels I've stayed in at home in Australia. We ordered room service one night and had to wait 45 mins, which I thought was a little questionable. It was late and I can't imagine the kitchen was busy enough to justify a wait of that long for a club sandwich and some chips.

This brings me to the location, which is only a problem because you can't just walk out to easily explore the excellent food options Queenstown has to offer. Being so close to the airport there is some aircraft noise, too, but it wouldn't prevent me from staying here again.

My review may sound overly negative, but it's not intended to be. We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hilton and when we come back to Queenstown we would love to stay again. However, internet access is quite important to me and until free WiFi or internet access is included I'm afraid I'd feel compelled to stay elsewhere.

Otherwise I would happily recommend this hotel following our generally pleasant experience.

Room Tip: You need to be on level 6 to have an uninterrupted view over the lake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear LiamCbr

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown. I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves.

The internet fees are standard throughout most hotels, however, we do offer complimentary access in the Hilton business centre. Hilton Worldwide are currently reviewing internet fees so if any changes occur we will be happy to announce this.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay when you are next visiting Queenstown.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Queenstown is one of the most beautiful places on earth and as Kiwi's we wanted to again relive the experience. We have stayed at a number of Hilton's over the years and the Hilton Queenstown did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived till the moment we left we had nothing but a first-class experience. Staff were all very friendly and our room was simply divine. We had a lake view on the third floor and a lovely balcony to sit out on. Great experience will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had room 450 which is a deluxe suite - really good and with balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Swandri

It is great to receive such a positive review and thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are very lucky to have such stunning views which are quite spectacular from the balconies.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

nz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just tried to book four nights for my husbands 40th birthday. After 45 minutes, the woman on the phone informs me that queenstown hilton don't follow the 50% off second room for children. So I read word for word from the website, on hold again. Then finally " sorry we just phoned the hotel, both rooms will be at full rate, the website is wrong". Nice Hilton. Heritage here I come.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear kttay

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown. All feedback is taken in a constructive manner and welcomed as a means to understand where the hotel does well and where we can do better.
I do apologise for the difficulties you experienced during your reservation. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention as the wording is incorrect on the website. It should read ‘second room for children under the age of 12 years charged at 50% off first room’
I have informed the call centre to ensure correct information is given to guests at the time of enquiring.
I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay again sometime in the near future.
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Nice hotel but service really let it down.

We booked for all the creature comforts of a hotel but didn't feel it was worth the cost.
Not one of our room service orders was right ever - including on my wedding day, champagne ordered wasn't even the right brand small details you would think would be important to them on the day. We we finally got fed up after the 4th time of orders and advised them they didn't go out of there way to sort it.

Food was average but the grill seemed better quality.

Rooms were nice and always well cleaned + serviced.

Would have been nice to know there was even a water taxi no one tells you this and it is cheaper than a taxi. Asked for a taxi once and they ordered us a corporate cab at a premium one off standard fare of $50!

We asked for a solution the night prior in regards to the room being a little small for the bridal party to get ready and we had to remind them the same morning and they only offered us another room 2 floors away for $150 for the half day. We didn't have time to tell them this would be totally silly considering that the makeup artist and hair would need to be in the same room. Would have thought they would offer us the adjoining room as a solution.

Considering all the extra $ we spent on top of our stay there would have been nice of they did something / anything at all on our wedding night because hey - you only get married once! + we did stay a week. Hopefully they can be a little bit more sensitive for other wedding stays and attentive. If this was the case we would have been loyal customers but we wouldn't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the options on extras upfront & info on the water taxi.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear buerhamilton

We take pride in offering a high level of accommodation, facilites and personal service, however, it looks like we may have missed the mark on this occassion.
I have shared your feedback with our management team to ensure their team members are delivering the highest standard of service, consistently.

I do apologise if you were not informed during check-in regarding the water taxi. Yes we do have the special negotiated rate with corporate cabs.
I have spoken with the team who do remember your special occassion and it is dissappointing to hear you feel noone made any effort, despite the honeymoon amenities you received.
It was unfortunate the adjoining rooms were occupied at the time and in hindsight reserving a suite may have been a suitable alternative.

Andrew NIsbet

Been to Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!