“AMAZING, ALMOST-NEW HILTON, ON LAKE WAKATIPU” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawarau Village, Peninsula Rd, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
new zealand
“AMAZING, ALMOST-NEW HILTON, ON LAKE WAKATIPU”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We just redeemed Hilton Honors points for 2 nights here for our 29th wedding anniversary. We were enthusiastically checked-in by a lovely Canadian young lady who promptly upgraded us to a lakeview corner suite (we have Diamond status with Hilton) which was a lovely surprise. Not long after settling into the room, a complimentary bottle of wine and spring water arrived. The suite was in a quiet corner with only four other rooms on the floor. Stunning views over the lake from floor to ceiling windows and a private balcony with table and two chairs. Bathroom was high-end and had a huge rainfall shower and a similarly huge freestanding bath, plus two individual porcelain handbasins. Sitting room had large cream sofa and a matching armchair, plus the usual desk and ergonomic chair for staying in business! We booked dinner in the Wakatipu Grill that night and the food was flawlessly presented and served. Our waitress, Mia, knew exactly which of the pinot noirs to recommend and it was exactly to our taste, and outstanding (Wild Earth 2009). Breakfast was included and offered pretty much everything - cooked, cereals, fresh fruit, cheese/cold cuts and interestingly, a fruit/veg juicer to make your own fresh juices. The design of the hotel blends beautifully with the surrounding scenery and the gardens are well stocked with native plantings which were very aesthetically pleasing. All of the staff with whom we had any contact were outstandingly helpful, even Thomas, the courtesy coach driver, who dropped us at the airport on our last day. Didn't want to leave. This is a top-notch, exemplary Hilton and we will definitely be back as we visit Queenstown 2-3 x a year. Only one negative - there is no executive lounge! Keep up the great work guys!

Room Tip: Definitely grab a lakeview room if possible. Corner suite 111 was outstanding for view, privacy and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear nzbased

It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for your positive review and kind comments regarding our team members. I will be sure to share these with them.

As our property is predominently a leisure hotel the need for an executive lounge is not driven from a corporate level. However this may be reviewed at a later date.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Marlene Poynder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Korean first
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

What a superb experience we had at the five star Hilton in Queenstown - the setting was so picturesque and naturally beautiful, from the moment we arrived everything was wonderful.
We were warmly greeted by the very lovely Annika -Guest Relations Manager who was so professional and lovely and who personally escorted us to our stunning Lake Waikapitu Suite which was luxurious in every way, well worth the extra money, very spacious and I particularly loved sitting on the large balcony bathing in the beautiful sunshine each day. The bed was so very comfortable with luxurious linen and the bathroom was large and nicely appointed and I particularly loved the bath gel. My husband and I have been in the restaurant business for 25 years and I would really love to make a point that the Executive Chef Marro is outstanding - the food at the Waikapitu Grill is fantastic, my husband and I are so difficult to please and so very fussy and every single course we had on 2 evenings was truly amazing.
We left this resort extremely pleased and rate it amongst one of the very best. We also had the pleasure of being introduced to the new General Manager Andrew Nisbet who was very warm, friendly and professional and wish him well in his new role. I think it would be most helpful if there were a 3 dimensional map of the hotel as it does get a bit confusing finding your way around and the other point I would like to make is that it would have been nice to have some information on Queenstown and the tours available/suggestions for day trips etc. James from the deli was also very polite and helpful in every way and really does a wonderful job.The room service pizza was also very delicious and the pastry was thin and crunchy just how we like it. The delightful Bar Manager who has an unusual name that I apologize I cannot remember if very knowledgeable and most helpful, the Hendricks Gin (from Scotland that I had not heard of) was such a great recommendation and he mixed it perfectly I highly recommend it. We would love to return to this fabulous resort it ticked all the boxes. Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Tip : Room 140 just perfect
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Maria G

It is a pleasure to receive such a positive review. Thank you for taking the time to share yur experience.
I am pleased you had a great time.
Yes you are correct in finding it confusing with directions around the village. We are currently working on revamping our village map and have recently gained consent for more internal signage.
In the village we have an office called QBook. This outlet offers all the information on Queenstown, tours and adventure sports. QBook are able to book anything the guests require. There is information regarding QBook in the rooms and I apologise if this was not the case in your room.
Thank you for mentioning those team members who I know will be very encouraged to read your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are in Queenstown.

NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Everything is right here. A village on it's own, hairdresser, spa, bookings for everything available especially all the outdoor pursuits in Queenstown. Fabulous spacious rooms with great views and now the cost effective water taxi to take you into inner Queenstown. But there is a fun pub with a good family pizza based menu and 2 restaurants as well as a wonderful deli with amazing coffee and macaroons home made as good as if you were in France. And the breakfasts, oh how gorgeous, everything from continental with all the divine cheeses and meats to full English, including the hands on chefs to cook you eggs any way if you prefer or choose your own omelette fillings,as well as the big munter juice extractor you can put your own choice of fruit veges in and instantly have such a fabulous juice to start the day. We loved the homemade baked beans served so beautifully in their own jar.This breakfast option and service is right up there with the Cascades Hotel Sun City South Africa.The car park is brilliant and you can access yourself or have the helpful staff bring the car over to you. I noticed the locals would pop in for coffee and a croissant also very good from the deli etc all very friendly. Then the lovely run,bike ride or walk around the lake on the track made for families or loners and everyone respecting each other for whatever reason I was out there.
The Hilton is very close to the ski-fields especially the Remarkables(My favourite) and still closer to Coronet Peak than in town.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a lake view -I do not know what the others are like. I also booked through a website b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear Shirley
Thank you for your very positive review following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back to stay maybe when the snow arrives so you can enjoy your favourite ski field!

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The check-in was friendly and efficient as was the valet parking service. And yes like the others say in their reviews below, the Reception/Check-in area needs better signage. We drove past and had to come back round. And even then we were only guessing if we were driving into the right place.

We stayed here for 2 nights and booked the Relaxation Room with it's own hot tub. Please be aware if you book the Relaxation Room, before you walk around starkers, that there is a lakeside walking track which is frequented by walkers/runners and the like, a few metres away from the sliding doors out to your private deck and hot tub. You hardly notice the walkers and there is certainly no noise.

The gas fireplace was a real pain to light and it took about 20 goes for it to start. The first time someone from the hotel got it going for us after about 10 minutes trying. The next night I managed to start it myself after about 20 minutes.

The room and bathroom were fantastic. Dreamy bed and quality linens. Husband didn't want to get off the couch it was so comfortable.

The only negative about our stay was we had to call to request our room to be made up at 4.30pm when we returned from a day out as there was a big pile of dirty dishes still there from the breakfast we had ordered in the morning and wet towels etc. We did not leave the 'make up this room' sign on the door though but presumed they would still do it anyway as they do in other hotels.

Housekeeping came (she was lovely) and changed the towels and did a big tidy up but then we had to request for clean mugs/glasses/plates/cutlery as we would need them for tea/coffee in the morning. Seemed a bit strange there was no system in place for this to happen automatically. Then about 30 minutes after she left there was another knock at the door and it was a lady with a clipboard asking if our room had been cleaned? She should have checked with housekeeping first before disturbing guests, no?

Something the Hilton may want to work on, is that there was no compendium in the room with all of the information on Queenstown, room service menu, hotel information etc. which is the first place we have ever stayed to not have one. There was a simple A3 folded piece of normal copy paper with the room service menu printed on it and we thought this was unprofessional esp for the Hilton. We were missing a drinks menu so had to call concierge again. (We were however given a small brochure upon checking in with a map of the hotel and where the restaurants etc. were but still thought there should still be a comprehensive compendium tucked away in the bedroom.)

We dined for dinner and also breakfast at the Whakatipu Grill and were not disappointed. Although the wine list was very expensive, the food was worth it.

This hotel is not within walking distance to the centre of Queenstown. It is in the other direction from town past Frankton and the airport. You can either get the water taxi across to town or drive. Driving took us around 10 minutes and wasn't a big deal. Parking is a bit annoying in Queenstown - or at least we found it so and each time we went to town we parked in the underground Wilson carpark and left the car there (maximum $10 charge a day or $1 an hour I think). It was much better than parking in a 30 minutes spot and worrying about getting a ticket.

Cleanliness - A+
Staff - A+
Location - A
Room Facilities - A
Hot tub - A+
Food - A

We are saving our pennies and planning another trip to Queenstown in the Winter and will definitely try to stay here again.

P.S. What sort of beds are they? I want one

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Pachewychomp

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and will stay again.

I understand your frustration with the lighting of the gas fire. These things can be temperamental, however, we are completing our first year maintenance check and we have been replacing the original battery unit with a higher quality one and this does appear to eliminate the difficulty in igniting the fires.

I do apologise for the poor service in the servicing of your room. It did highlight a lack of communication within the housekeeping team. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as we will ensure extra training is given to avoid this happening again. We are also aiming to achieve to have all rooms serviced before 3pm daily. I am sorry your room did not have a compendium. I have requested housekeeping complete a thorough check of the rooms to make sure every room is equipped with one.

Thank you again for sharing your comments, we do appreciate guest feedback as this assists us to improve in areas that require extra attention.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay in one of our luxurious 'sleepyhead beds'

Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Completely loved our honeymoon stay at Hilton Queenstown. Totally impressed by the beauty, location, chicness, rooms, pool, amenities, and service. The rooms are spacious and I loved the chocolate mints with the NewZealand feather. The tiles and fixtures in the bathroom were so chic. Everything was spotless and we had a great view of the lake. Transportation to town can get pricey, but the free shuttles during the day was great. Plus, theres a nice walk back with great photo spots (must be able to walk 5 miles). Breakfast was also delicious with a huge range of options from made-to-order juice concoctions, pastries, cheese, hot options, and fruits.
Our only disappointment was dinner at Waikatipu Grill. I am a picky eater so the waiter offered me their vegetarian pasta. Potatoe ravioli was pretty good, but very little portion and OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. My husband got the Venison and was also very insulted with the size....2 little medallions. With their prices, they need to fill out the plates or it just looks emptly, easy solutions steamed vegtables or potatoes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear piglet99Scottsale

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your comments following your honeymoon stay with us at Hilton Queenstown.

I was so pleased you enjoyed yourselves.
I am sorry you were disappointed with your dinner in the Wakatipu Grill. The ravioli your ordered does contain truffle filling with many vegetables.
As our wild shot venison is a heavy meat to digest the medallions are proportioned accordingly.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to stay at the Hilton should your travels bring you back to Queenstown, maybe for your first anniversary!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night only (next time we will stay 2 or 3) before we mived to the Sofitel in Queenstown.
It is apparantely on 1 year old and it has a very village atmosphere. The basic rooms are fantastic, well laid out and 2 TVs! It ahs a great Pub with outdoor fireplace, which we dined at. Also a deli which is handy for a coffees.
Breakfast was excellent with freshly squeezed juice of your choice, buffet good however the only thing (which is minor) the baked beans homemade weren't any good but that didn't damper the breakfast. The chef made great poached eggs and there was a huge range of pastries nad muffins (yumm).
As we stayed in the off season it was quiet but that is what we like anyway.
Highly recommend the Hilton, it is on the other side of the lake but has water taxis and shuttles so you aren't cut off from the town.

Room Tip: We had basic room which was excellent.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Sharrelle100

Thank you for sharing your comments and it is great to hear you will stay longer next time.

I was pleased to see you were able to enjoy many of our great facilities in the village.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are in town.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed 3 nights over Easter and could't have been happier with the quality of the room and the level of service and attention to detail. We had their basic room - but it was still a good size, separate lounge / sitting area with a gas fire, large bathroom with bath and lovely modern and stylish furnishings and fit-out. The Grill was great for dinner with excellent service - yes, it's not cheap, but hey, you're on holidays and most of the places in town were of equivalent cost for similar standard. We had a disappointing dinner at one of their other restaurants, Me and Mee, but our concerns were addressed professionally and swiftly. It is a bit out of town (10-15 minutes) so having a car is a good idea if you easily want to get around to see everything that Queenstown has to offer. Parking is free and easily accessible on site. A great hotel in a fantastic part of the world.

Dear DavidBecs

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I am sorry there was a problem with Me & Mee but glad that it was all dealt with at the time.
Yes it is handy if you have a car but with the hotel shuttle and the water taxi, transport into Queenstown is not a problem.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay if your travels bring you back to Queenstown.

Marlene Poynder

Been to Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!