“The team is wonderful and I trust Brian and Sasha with my life and the lives of my children. Mary Ellen Gomes Richmond” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Skydive Paradise

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 201 Activities in Queenstown
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Our skydive dropzone is located only 40 minutes from New Zealand’s most famous resort town of Queenstown at the edge of a small alpine village known as Glenorchy “Gateway to Paradise”. This is Middle Earth, the setting of The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings movies. Skydiving with Skydive Paradise offers you not only the most breathtaking scenery in the world, we also promise you the most personalised tandem skydiving experience in New Zealand.
Midlothian, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband, daughter, and I, all did the 15,000 ft. dive and it was GREAT. I was reluctant to purchase the video, but in retrospect, it was worth the price! Without the video, it is hard to recapture the memory since so much is coming at you all at the same time. Although I personally had a hard time equalizing the pressure in my middle ears, my kin did just fine. I suggest caution to anyone with Eustachian tube problems – take a decongestant and use equalizing ear tubes for the jump.

Visited August 2012
SkydiveParadise, Manager at Skydive Paradise, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks Mary, I have passed your comments on to Brian and Sasa - we enjoyed having your family jump with us! I'm glad your video and photos bring back memories and I agree, seeing your jump again helps you relive your skydive!

Singapore
15 attraction reviews
“Lord of the Rings dropzone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We chose Skydive Paradise for 2 main reasons, it was slightly cheaper than NZone (the only other skydive operator in Queenstown) and we also preferred the dropzone (LOTR sounds cooler than "just queenstown"!).

It's a smaller setup so minimum number per time slot is 2 pax (a fellow jumper told me that NZone doesn't go if it's only 2 pax). In winter they do 2 slots a day (& more in summer). Please do go to the toilet before you leave Queenstown as they only have a single eco toilet (like a portable loo) at the dropzone.

Upon arrival at the dropzone there is a video briefing so that you know every step of the process. Then you gear up for your jump - they provide the jumpsuit (which you wear over your own clothes), helmet, goggles and gloves. The gear all looked pretty new (not smelly at all). For ladies it is best to secure your bangs so that stray hairs don't escape from your helmet and spoil your pretty pictures.

The plane can only take 4 pax at a time so you go in pairs (together with your instructors). When the plane reaches the required altitude (about 10min), the instructor will open the door and you shuffle on your bum until you are sitting on the edge, and tip over. I'm quite the adrenaline junkie so I can't really comment fairly on the scariness factor, but I think tipping over of the edge while sitting down is much less scary than having to stand up and fling yourself off the plane (like how SWAT teams do it in Hollywood movies).

How does 200kmph feel? Like when you go very fast in a convertible with the top down (wind roaring against your ears). The videos show how your face gets contorted out of shape by the wind and it's quite funny (your lips get really numb for a bit). After that the parachute opens and it's all smooth sailing- you can really appreciate the aerial view then. Your instructor can spin the parachute right and left if you want - it's super fun! I would recommend clearing your ears once the parachute opens is useful to prevent any discomfort from blocked ears (like how you would do it when an airplane descends).

The photo/video package is very reasonably priced at $165 and taken with a GoPro strapped to the instructors left hand. You get lots of great close up shots (the angle is wide enough to include the scenery that you are hurtling down towards and/or the paracute canopy) but unfortunately you don't get any "external" shots of yourself which would require a separate skydive photographer (like how NZone does it for $50 more - from what I can see on their website anyway).

We went for the morning session (pick up from Queenstown centre at 9am) and we were back in Queenstown by 12.40pm. The only downside I can think of is that you have to call half an hour before to check if the weather condition is good enough. So in essence you dont really know whether you can go or not until the actual day! This kinda sucks for holiday planning but of course it is for safety reasons. When I was there the afternoon slot was cancelled due to low hanging clouds. So we were lucky with the weather and hope you are too!

Visited August 2012
Thanks for your thorough review! We love hearing about customer experiences and what you think in comparison to other companies.

As you mentioned, our handicam photos/video offer a slightly different perspective than the more expensive option of someone else jumping with you. There are also other benefits with handicam footage - we capture parts of your entire experience, including how you feel when the parachute canopy is out and you are flying amongst the stunning backdrop.
Melbourne, Australia
“The Perfect 'Sweet As'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Skydive Paradise were my first choice, after hearing loads of fab things about them from other travelers. They're a smaller company, and instantly made me feel so welcome and relaxed. The views were stunning, and the photos and video are worth every cent spent. I immediately wanted to do it all again! Skydiving is a bucket-list definite, but if you're going to NZ wait until Queenstown and do it with Paradise. You won't regret it. Thank you guys for the best, epic day - hopefully I'll be back with you in the near future to do the 15000 ft jump!

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Best fun you can have in Queenstown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

What a rush!!
This was one of those experiences that is impossible to capture in words. You simply have to do it.

We did the 15,000ft dive, although you can do a 12,000ft or 9,000ft dive. If you're going to do it, go all the way to the top. The view is sensational from the drop zone. With 360 degree views of snow-capped mountains, rivers and the sheer beauty of Glenorchy, you cannot get this anywhere else.

What most impressed us was the crew and the set-up at the drop site. The jump masters are super qualified. Ours had over 10,000 jumps under his belt. There a funky outdoor bean bags to laze in and gaze up at the sky, watching the other jumpers until it's your turn.

The crew are relaxed, fun and outgoing. Jump masters have a camera and video camera strapped to their wrist so that your whole experience is recording. I definitely recommend purchasing the video and photos. It's one memory you will want to keep and share.

The drive to the drop site is absolutely surreal. Picture postcard scenery all the way, unlike the other drop sites with other providers. Skydive Paradise are also much better value for money.

You don't need any special gear - they provide everything. Just wear sensible shoes.

A must do experience that you will never forget.

Auckland
“The best thing you can do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

It was my first Skydive and I've chosen to do it very spontaniously as I was actually crazy frightened of the idea to jump out of an airplane. The staff of Skydive Paradise did the best job they could do: They were all super friendly,helpful and professional! While sitting in the airplane,my instructor Brian and the other ones were joking all the time so that I was laughing instead of freaking out!;) When we jumped out of the plane I couldn't stop screaming (well,actually it's better to close the mouth during the freefall but whatever;)) because I was so happy and it was just the best feeling EVER!! It was such a beautiful day and the view was just so stunning! I don't think I ever felt that happy before - so guys DO IT!! It's absolutely worth it!
Thanks so much to the whole team of Skydive Paradise who made the best experience in my life possible! I'll come back;))