“Fantastic half-day adventure!” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Expedia
Book a Tour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating out of Queenstown airport and flying across the Southern alps on one of the most spectacular short scenic flights in the world, Glenorchy Air is a family business owned and operated by Janet and Robert Rutherford. We operate daily fly-cruise-fly, overflight, helicopter and coach options into and out of Milford Sound and have been doing so for 20 years. Glenorchy Air run regular flights to the Mount Cook region, to Mount Aspiring, Queenstown's local glaciers, Stewart Island, Otago's East Coast and to Fiordlands Doubtful Sound. As we worked on the "Lord of the Rings" movies we have a unique insight into movie locations with various flightseeing options and personalised tours on offer.
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic half-day adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We would highly recommend flying to Milford Sound with Glenorchy Air. We flew as a family with our boys of 10 and 7 and we were very well looked after from our pick up in the morning until we were dropped back in the afternoon. We flew in an 8-seater and the flight was absolutely stunning. Our pilot Hayden gave us plenty of information about the lakes, mountains and glaciers. The flight was about 35 mins and was pretty smooth except for a few small bumps.

We toured Milford Sound on one of the bigger boats which was all organised by Glenorchy Air. It was a beautiful tour which lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Make sure you take plenty of warm clothes, as you will want to be on the top deck and it does get cold. We saw seals and dolphins and took some spectacular photos of the scenery.

Milford Sound is spectacular, but I'm not sure we would have enjoyed it so much with a 5 hour drive each way. Flying is expensive, but it really was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we would highly recommend.

Visited April 2013
Glenorchy, Front Office Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for the great review, as we are a family owned business it is always positive when we receive a great review from another family. I'm glad you had the opportunity to see so much and your positive comments are greatly valued by all of us at Glenorchy Air.

Singapore, Singapore
8 attraction reviews
“You should not miss out on this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had a very good travel experience with Glenorchy Air - having chosen the package to fly-cruise-fly to Milford Sound. The prices are affordable and the sights are simply breathtaking.

This is also the quickest way to get to Milford Sound from Queenstown - the alternative is a daunting 4-hour drive. The flights are also very dependent on good weather - and if there is a storm/rain then they will not fly at all.

I did another Glenorchy Tour earlier in the morning and asked to be dropped off at the Glenorchy Airstrip, where I would start my tour with Glenorchy Air. Once I reached Milford Sound, I hopped on a bus to get to the ferry terminal where my cruise was immediately arranged by our pilot, Will, who was super helpful all the way.

Will also waited for me to complete my cruise before offering to fly me back to Queenstown and drive me back to my hotel.

Just exquisite!

Visited April 2013
Glenorchy, Public Relations Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review. Its always a terrific boost for our pilots and staff to receive such positive feedback.
AKJL
13 attraction reviews
“Professional and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Easy booking process, and great flexibility when we needed to change dates. Pilot Hayden was very professional, but gave a really relaxed warm welcome. Souvenir DVD was a lovely final touch

Visited April 2013
Glenorchy, Front Office Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are so pleased you enjoyed your trip with us. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review and for choosing Glenorchy Air.
Leicester, North Carolina
“Best trip ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The flight to and from milford sound has been the highlight of my holiday so far in new Zealand. Our pilot ray was a top class bloke and brilliant pilot, we wouldn't of wanted anyone else to show us the amazing views of the milford sound. He was very knowledgeable about the area and pointed out all of the landmarks including where parts of the lord of the rings was filmed. I would highly recommend the package that we opted for(flight, cruise, fly) it even included hotel pick up and drop of. The flight and cruise gave perspective views from land and air from the amazing views the milford sound has to offer. Must see when in new Zealand and ask for ray to pilot your plane!!!

Visited March 2013
Glenorchy, Front Office Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I agree that the fly/cruise/fly option gives you a great perspective of Milford Sound and the surrounding Fiordland National Park. It is always great to hear that we have been the highlight of someone’s trip to New Zealand. I have passed on your comments to your pilot Ray. Thanks again for such a wonderful review.
Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
“Friendly, efficient service and awesome sights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Today my wife and I went on a fly/cruise/fly trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound with Glenorchy Air. The flight to Milford Sound was an experience never to be forgotten and the commentary from our excellent pilot (MacKenzie) was most informative. Glenorchy Air informed us there was a high probability that the weather would close in and we would have to take the coach back, but a senior pilot, Ray, told us he would wait as long as the weather would safely allow. After a wonderful cruise on Milford Sound, we were delighted to find that Ray was waiting for us and had arranged one of the coaches to drive us to the airport. We had another remarkable flight back to Queenstown following a more southerly, but equally scenic, route and were excellently informed and entertained by Ray. Today was a amazing experience and we thank Glenorchy Air for their professional and friendly service. Most highly recommended

What a great review! As you know the weather plays such a huge part in our line of business, I am so pleased we were able to offer you the flight back to Queenstown and that we were able to take a different route allowing you to see even more of the amazing scenery. I have passed on your comments to the pilots and both Mackenzie and Ray thank you for your kind words.