“Routeburn Track with Ultimate Hikes” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #119 of 202 Activities in Queenstown
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“Routeburn Track with Ultimate Hikes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was one of the most amazing experiences I have had in my life.It was great having a guided hike with Vernon,Tony and James who were so knowledgeable about the history and fauna on the Routeburn. As our group of eight, average age was 58years, we relished the beautiful meals, hot showers, comfotable beds and only had to carry a 5-7 kg pack made this hike so enjoyable giving us time to take in the fantastic views.We were encouraged to walk at our own pace which made it so relaxing.We did train for this,which helped enjoy this hike.We also had beautiful weather.

Visited March 2013

Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Routeburn Track- Ultimate Hikes.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

As someone who is used to carrying tents, sleeping bags and food into a remote destination, walking the Routeburn with Ultimate Hikes was a revelation. The lodges were wonderful and having your food (great food) prepared for you after a big day of trekking was pure luxury. We are vegetarians and ate just as well as everyone else.I think the highlight were the guides though. Knowledgeable, unflapable and amusing they gave an extra dimension to the walk, not to mention they were a lot of fun to be with.

We did the full track and its is one of the most beautiful walks we have ever done. A blind person could take a great pic here- EVERYTHING is stunning. In fact, the scenery rates as good as the higher altitude treks I have done in Nepal. I was delighted to see a Kea (alpine parrot) up close and some rare plants. Do this! Get out there!

Visited December 2012
Auckland
17 attraction reviews
“Awesome Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I just loved the guided walk on the Routeburn with Ultimate Hikes. Scenery and weather were stunning. The track is well formed and anyone with reasonable fitness will enjoy it. The lodges we stayed in were really comfortable and the resident chefs at both lodges catered to my vegetarian diet perfectly...exceeded my expectations!

Visited December 2011
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“as good as I thought it would be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just completed the 3 day/2 night hike on the Routeburn Track. It was spectacular. The views were awesome, the huts we stayed in on the trail were great, the walk, although challenging in parts, was both very rewarding and a great experience. Best things were the views, the people we met and the challenge, the worst? not much really. We did have exceptional weather, no rain, I would imagine if it was teeming down it wouldn't be fun. Do equip yourself correctly...it gets cold at night and in the mornings, can be extremely wet, correct footwear is a must...hiking boots!!. You need clothes to cover a lot of different conditions...cold/wet/warm and remember you have to carry it all. And bring nice food, it makes for a much more pleausrable experince. Go do it, it's worth it!!

Visited March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
“Stunning views from beginning to end.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Perhaps the most beautiful hike I have been on - the only area just beating it, Glacier National Park. I fell in love with New Zealand based on this hike. Depending on your skill and comfort, you can do this hike in 1, 2 or 3 days. Poles should be used, but as an average hiker, I did not find this trail difficult. Because I wanted to take my time and take photographs, I did go with the 3-day Ultimate Hikes. Unlike one review, no - they do not carry your bags from place to place. You are responsible for carrying your equipment, but I absolutely enjoyed great cooking, wine and comfortable but minimalistic lodging in the evening.

Visited January 2012