“Everyone should do it” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 202 Activities in Queenstown
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly with Skytrek, Tandem Hang Gliding & Paragliding in Queenstown, New Zealand. Flying since 1992, we have flown over 60,000 customers. Fly from the highest commercial takeoff in New Zealand with professional experienced pilots. A gentle flight or a thrilling ride - your choice! No experience needed.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Leeds
“Everyone should do it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I cannot recommend SkyTrek highly enough. As soon as I walked in to the office to enquire about handgliding I was met with smiles and straightforward answers to questions they probably hear all day long. I was picked up by minibus and taken to the take off point by friendly staff. It didn't take long to set up the handgliders and then Andrea, my pilot, gave me a very simple brief. My only concern was whether I could run fast enough down the hill to take-off.... but in the event we took 2 or 3 quick steps and we were airborne. The only noise was the wind in the rigging and the view was spectacular. Andrea clearly had everything under control as we drifted down the valley and we chatted away about how handgliders work .There are few experiences in the world that match the first time you jump off a mountain on a handglider and these professional, friendly guys at SkyTrek make it a memory you will cherish forever.

Visited January 2014
Ian_Skytrek, Front Office Manager at SkyTrek Tandem Hang Gliding & Paragliding, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi Tim,
Yes your right, everyone should do it! We never mind answering questions- we are always enthusiastic about flying. Good to hear you had a great flight with Andre, thanks for your review.
Cheers,

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I booked tandem paraglides as part of our honeymoon. We chose to book with SkyTrek as they take off from the slightly higher Rocky Gulley point on Coronet Peak for about the same price as other companies.

We were really lucky with the weather, having to wait for about 20 minutes for the rain to stop and some wind to pick up. The flight was excellent, with beautiful views, and our instructors were both great. The pick-up and drop-off in Queenstown made the whole experience easy.

Visited December 2013
Ian_Skytrek, Front Office Manager at SkyTrek Tandem Hang Gliding & Paragliding, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thanks for your review, it is always good to get great fed back, us and our staff appreciate it.
Enjoy the rest of your travels,
Melbourne, Australia
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I went paragliding with SkyTrek and it was amazing. The staff were all friendly and made us feel comfortable. I was amazed at how easy it was to run off a mountain! The views were incredible and your instructor will give you an option of a leisurely cruise or to do some pretty intense turns. You get a free 1 minute video emailed to you or you can buy a video of the whole flight.

Hi there,
WOW is a response we get quite a lot, and your right-it's an amazing flight with great scenery.
Pleased you had a great experience, thanks for the review.
Cheers,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A brilliant experience - so peaceful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this whilst on a 2 day trip to Queenstown for the morning session (in time for us leaving after lunch) and couldn't recommend it enough!
The group we had was a good small size (6 of us) and we were all first-timers so a bit nervous but the guys put us at ease on the scenic drive up to the take off point on Coronet Peak. The views were sensational before taking off but once you got out into the air it got even better.
I felt really safe the whole time and the photography that they do during the flight really helps to capture the magnificent scenery and is great to take home and re-live the experience.
The flight was really peaceful for the most part and towards the end the guys will take you on some fast spirals down and do some impressive turns of the parachute which was great fun (and still felt really safe...sort of like being on a rollercoaster)!!

Seriously recommend it for people wanting to see the scenery of Queenstown a different way.

Hi there,
We couldn't of said it better- it is magnificent scenery, and it is great to have the photos to re-live the experience!
Great to hear you had a good flight.
Thanks for your review,
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“2 amazing flights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have been lucky enough to do both the hang gliding aero tow in Glenorchy and the paragliding flight from the summit at Coronet Peak.

First up was the hang gliding aero tow in Glenorchy which blew my mind away. Got dragged up to 3000ft by a microlite, before Ian my hang gliding pilot (Absolute legend) released the hang glider from the aero tow. With a view of the Dart River, Glenorchy, Mt Asparing NT Park and lake Wakatipu the flight is absolutely breath taking.

Next up I did the paragliding from the summit of Coronet Peak which is only running during winter. Took the ski lift to the top and then walked even further up only to be meet with a 360 degree view of snow covered mountains. After I finished enjoying the amazing views we took off and flew over the ski field. My pilot Shai (The King of Paragliding) made sure to throw in some wicked spirals and other cool stunts to make the flight both scenic and exciting.

Bottom line, I highly recommend both flights to people who want some amazing scenery and good fun.

Visited August 2013