“We got more than we bargained for!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 165 activities in Queenstown
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: WINNERS of Best Tour Operator New Zealand 2012/13. Come for a guided walk or snowshoeing adventure with us into the beautiful New Zealand back country & discover what really makes New Zealand different - EVERY STEP has A STORY to fascinate & astound you. Guided Nature Walks specializes in nature interpretation. The area is steeped in natural history with river valleys covered in ancient native beech forests, mosses, ferns & alpine flora & a variety of native bird life is close at hand.
Sydney
“We got more than we bargained for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Its Andre and Michaela here from Sydney and we just finished the half day snow shoeing with Pete who was fantastic. His in depth knowledge of the mountains and experience of the area made the tour alot more personable and unforgettable. I would highly recommend going with this company as the price was more than reasonable for what you get and all in all we had alot of fun. Thanks again Pete and all the best with snow sheoing this year!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
“Showshowing: the next Big Thing in NZ tramping!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Like a few others here, booking in for showshoeing was a bit of a last-minute decision by us, and we did it not really knowing what we were getting ourselves in for.
It turned out to be one of the highlights of our entire NZ stay!
Pickup was prompt in an immaculate van with an entertaining and informative guide (Pete), with whose expertise we would have been comfortable walking up any mountain in any weather. In fact the weather could not have been better and we enjoyed million-dollar views at a basin just shy of the top of The Remarkables. Nothing beats a hot cup of coffee, sitting in a freshly-carved show-seat, enjoying the serenity.
Could not recommend this activity more highly. If you haven't been snowshoeing, why not?

New Orleans, Louisiana
20 attraction reviews
“Fabulous fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I went snowshoeing at the Remarkables in lieu of cross country skiing at Snow Farm.
We were picked up at the hotel, fitted with snow shoes at the Remarkables and proceeded to hike/snowshoe around Lake Alta.
It was fabulous watching avalanches, snow boarders and breathing that pure mountain air.
Lunch and a cup of tea was more than adequate.
I was promised soup, but the weather was supposedly too nice for that!

Toowoomba
“Snow Shoeing - A "must do" wonderful activity in the snow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We made a last minute booking to do snowshoeing in Queenstown without really having an appreciation of how good it was going to be. We were picked up from our hotel at 12:30 pm and returned at 6pm. Our guides took up to The Remarkables ski field above Queenstown where we spent several hours on the snow. We were provided with modern and easy to wear snow shoes and adjustable ski poles. The snow shoes simply strap on to your existing footwear (wear waterproof shoes if possible). The group hiked up through the ski sploes to a frozen lake. The guides even carried up a hot coffee and afternoon tea. The guides were very experienced and were careful to take all the safety precautions (they even carried emergency beacons). The trip back down was amazing - the chair lifts were closed, all the skiers had left the slopes and we really had the mountain to ourselves apart from the snow patrol staff from The Remarkables. The views over the snow to the setting sun were fantasic.

Queenstown, New Zealand
“The Best View in Queenstown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Having decided decided to walk up Ben Lomond (1747m) with Pete and Karyn from Guided Nature Walks, I thought I would treat myself to another night at Central Ridge Boutique Hotel as a reward for hauling myself up a mountain. The spa was what I had in mind, with a nice cold glass of sav. Perfect after a days walking.
And what a day. Pete and Karyn picked me up at 8.30 am and we headed over to another hotel to pick up the other walkers. We started off with a ride on the Skyline Gondala, which was stunning. It rises quickly and steeply up 450 meters to the top of Bob's Peak, where the Skyline perches, and is reputedly the steepest lift in the Southern Hemiphere. Once at the top you can wander around the 220 degrees of viewing deck looking over Queenstown, The Remarkables and the surrounding mountains. We watched people hurtling down the luge (a crazy go-cart cross taboggan track) situated at the top of the Skyline, then started walking gently upwards through the cool forest. The weather was perfect, it was blue skies with a few small foggy looking clouds drifting over the tops of the peaks. I was surprised at how steady the track was, it's really only the end when you climb up to the very top that makes you puff a bit. For the most part the walk meanders up and around the mountain. The saddle was the best part for me, it gives you views down over each side and accross to the mountain. Pete and Karyn served up a yummy lunch on the side of the saddle overlooking Queenstown and Pete told us some jokes!
The scenery spoke for itself on this walk, I took so many photos that I'm struggling to choose which ones to load. Pete and Karyn were as always fantastic hosts, pointing out more edible berries and points of interest. Once we were back down they drove us out to have a look at AJ Hacketts Bungy jump over the Kawarau River. Why on earth anyone would pay to do that is beyond me. If someone paid me I might consider it, and really only if it were a substantial ammount of money. We waited until we had seen a couple of screamers, (which I might add is exactly what I would do with a few expletives attached), and then were returned to our hotels around 5pm.
I was greeted at reception at Central Ridge by the manager, Annabel, who had blissfully arranged a bottle of ice cold sav in my room. Sitting in the hot spa, sipping my delicous wine, with a fluffy white bathrobe ready to wrap myself in, I realised that the most important decision I had to make that evening was which DVD to watch from the hotels extensive collection. Oh - and possibly what to have for breakfast in the morning.