“Great evening ” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Great evening ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Called reasonably late to book a table and they squeezed us in. The restaurant was packed so was surprised they found room.
Fabulous service which was surprisingly prompt. Thought we would have been waiting forever as they were so full. Our meals were all enjoyed.
I ordered lemon meringue pie which I felt was far too expensive. No need for the squirt of chocolate mousse and I assume home made ice cream. A vanilla tip top scoop would have been fine to drop the price from $15.
The wine was also a bit pricy.
Why is the menu so massive?? It was confusing as to where to even start deciding. How can they cook fresh meals when there is so much??
Overall it was an enjoyable evening.

Invercargill, New Zealand
“Average at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Ridiculously large menu with far too many choices, service average, meals ridiculously large, far too much food. Expensive, over priced meals.
I had the venison salad, sauce was a packet sauce with raw leek in the salad Yuck! Husbands steak sandwich was mainly gristle.
The kids loved it, great facilities for them but won't be going again.

Visited July 2014
Stewart Island, New Zealand
“Confused menu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We tried the cabbage tree for the first time, we went in for lunch. Wow it looks like an over crowded arts gallery and an American style ranch all rolled into one!! Staff were pretty average with serving, it was just us there when we arrived and over the time we stayed (under an hour) we were served by 3 different waitresses. It wasn't busy! The menu is massive, and confused, a lot of interesting food pairings going on, I asked what they recommended and was told the steak sandwich, so this is what I got. My husband got the chefs all day breakfast. Meals were served in good time and large, BUT the fries were the best thing on my plate, followed by the onion rings and that's not saying much considering they are both deep fried! My steak was over cooked, chewy and not seasoned, salad underneath was a bed of sliced peppers and very little lettuce and a few slices of tomato which looked like they had been prepped days before and very unattractive to eat! I am glad I tried here but won't be returning until they train good staff, that are welcoming, and sort out the menu as it's not appealing and far too much to decide what on earth to eat. The prices are pretty expensive I thought too. How do they serve fresh produce with over 100 things on the menu? I don't think it is very fresh, my steak I think was re heated!!! GO TO ZIFFS,, AWESOME MENU,GREAT STAFF,ALWAYS GOOD!!

Visited June 2014
“Food not fresh and staff not helpful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Probably doesn't help that I work in hospitality but when you order blue cod in southland you expect nice juicy fresh piece not a funny smell bland piece with brown through it - we never got meal checked and when we finally got a staff members attention she took my whole meal away and came back and said she would only charge for the smaller size ..... Not offered a replacement or another item or even a chance to eat the vegetables that were on the plate felt and this is meant to be a duty manager who should know how to deal with these sorts of things it was like I was being a problem.
menu is to large how can everything actually be fresh and prepped fresh need to be eating items that are popular with quick turn over to ensure it is fresh, staff don't seem to be happy and it reflects.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Invercargill, New Zealand
“sitting in the sun drinking coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

we go to the cabbage tree for coffee and a decadent muffin after taking our dogs out for a walk at sandy point nothing is nicer than sitting in the sun and relaxing while the birds sing, the staff are lovely and very friendly even though we are dressed in track pants sometimes gumboots they still treat us like normal I recommend it anytime we have also eaten dinner there and I would recommend that as well the food is devine.

• Visited April 2014