“Top service food and accommodation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kelvin Hotel

You added Kelvin Hotel to your Saves list
Kelvin Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Kelvin & Esk Streets, | P.O. Box 1064, Invercargill, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Invercargill
southland nz
“Top service food and accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We so needed a night away hard to know where to stay in Invercargill, however I picked the Kelvin because it was central to everything and because we wanted to dine as well.
The room we had was very clean well appointed with a small balcony. It was a very busy night prior to Christmas but the very helpful staff got us in to dine. The food was great! portion sizes aren't huge but very satisfying.
We will go back in a flash,,,,wish we could have had two nights there..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Another one night stay but amazed to get a huge room with double shower, spa bath and balcony. Very modern and comfortable. Needed some papers printed out - done very promptly and at no cost!
Only had a light meal in the restaurant but very nice Stewart Island salmon from a varied and interesting menu.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at the Kelvin and have enjoyed it both times. All the staff - from the reception desk, to the cleaners and the ladies in the bar - are extremely friendly & helpful. The room I had was comfortable and very clean. The rooms are obviously not brand new, but are well-maintained and spacious. The location can't be beat, right in the centre of town & within walking distance to all that Invercargill has to offer.
The only thing I didn't really like about the hotel was the prices charged for food in the restaurant and the Sports Bar. For the quality of the food and the sizes of the servings, I don't think they are good value for money at all.
I would definitely stay here again, but would find somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and I must say I enjoy the friendly staff greatly. It is situated centrally within the main town area. Although quite old this hotel has been maintained to a fairly high standard. The room I was allocated (Level 2) was clean and practical although what annoys me often when staying at hotels is often the TV remote will not work and this was no exception. (OK, not the most serious issue in the world  )
I met a colleague in the bar for a pre-dinner drink and frankly could not have been more impressed with the barman who served us and looked after us for the following hour we were there.
We then visited the restaurant for dinner. As some reviewers to this site point out this is a area of concern at the present time. Just to put things in perspective, this hotel was quite “famous” over the years for the great food at the restaurant. It’s never been a “fine dining” restaurant, just really well prepared fresh local food. It does seem to be going through a bit of a down period with quality and focus. Although passable it really was nothing special, nor different from many other eating establishments (steakhouse type). The staff however was great. Breakfast was similar with what could only be described as stock standard hotel breakfasts (pretty awful to be honest, as most hotel breakfasts are)
Check in and check our was great, with the receptionist realising I had a car, offered to have it parked for me and was waiting for me on checkout.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bryan T, General Manager at Kelvin Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your honest review of the Kelvin Hotel. Although the rating of the Restaurant is not to the level I would have expected I do appreciate your impression of the Hotel.
Our focus is to provide the best possible products and services while being true to the 3 plus Qualmark Hotel that we are. If we can succeed with meeting our valued guests expectations we are on the right track. and will continue to improve wherever possible. We look forward to being of service again in the future. Regards Bryan Townley
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This would have been an excellent review, but for the restaurant. But I'll get to that. Walk through the front door to an open, spacious and well appointed foyer. I stayed here back in the mid 90's and don't remember this entrance. Reception was so friendly and welcoming. Just a pleasure. Some reviews have criticized the rooms, but I can't. Stayed in a quite large room on the 3rd floor. A double and a single bed, plenty of room, flat screen TV, double glazing, separate toilet and bathroom, with an excellent shower. Room temperature moderated by an in room heater to a perfect level. No weaknesses so far! Ok, so the rubbish bins were so old that the hinges holding on the lids had broken, and this was a nuisance, but I'll get over it if you promise to have them replaced.

Breakfast was interesting in that while the continental style brekkie was buffet, the cooked one was off a menu. On my first morning I ordered the No.1 breakfast, which consisted of everything, and could have fed a small village ( I did not eat it all!). On the following days I ordered poached eggs on toast, which was no problem and which were beautifully cooked.

I dined in the restaurant on one evening. An interesting experience. Greeted promptly by a friendly staff member who seated me, told me the name of the waitress who would be serving me and would be bringing me water, without delay. Except that she didn't. After some 10 minutes another waitress who was passing at speed asked me if my order had been taken. When I told her that it hadn't, she said she would be right back to take it. Except that she wasn't. After 7 or 8 more minutes she did arrive, obviously distressed and crying. Midway through pouring a glass of water, she said she needed to go and compose herself, and left. She did come back and complete the order, but I am surprised that whoever had control of the staff that night would not recognize the state the waitress was in, and do something about it, both for her benefit and the diners. I did note that a while later, she seemed to leave for the evening.

Part of my order was for a beer, which was to come from the bar, about 20 feet away. Except that it didn't. Not for some time, accompanied by an apology from a new waitress.

Which leads me to the real problem. I ordered a 250gm rib eye steak, medium rare. It was delivered and looked good. When I cut in, it appeared to be perfectly cooked (perhaps sous vide?). But the quality of the meat was so poor that I estimate about 100gm was inedible. It was awful. The waitress of course noticed and because she asked, I gave my opinion and she took the plate away. She came back, said she had shown someone in the kitchen, and I was told that rib eye naturally had a line of gristle through it. I suggested if they were getting meat of that quality it was time to change their butcher. Just unacceptable. Check out the photo I have attached.

Would I stay here again. I certainly would. It was great. Would I eat here again. Not unless they can convince me they serve edible beef.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bryan T, General Manager at Kelvin Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Oh boy, when I first read the "everyone smiles" I thought, yes this is what we want our valued guests to experience. As I read on I got the rubbish bin, and they are on the "replace as required list" I will check with Houskeeping. Your dining experience, for a Manager who believes he has the finger on the pulse, this took me by real surprise! and I will certainly be having discussions with both Kitchen and Front of House. The comment about your ribeye was totally unacceptable,we do have a very good supplier (usually) buying Hereford Prime Beef, if we get it wrong, we want to put it right! I hope you do return in the future and would appreciate the opportunity to meet you in person. Thank you for your review, your comments have certainly been taken on board. Regards Bryan Townley General Manager
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have had the pleasure of staying at the Kelvin. A great central location.
I stayed 1 night recently & was allocated a top floor suite. I found this to be extremely good value for money. The room was excellently appointed, plenty of space, clean & warm & the heated bathroom floor most welcome as it was a bitterly cold night & morning. Great shower.
A good selection for the buffet breakfast & the waitress on duty was helpful & friendly.
My flight out was cancelled due bad weather so I was forced to hire a rental car. Some roads were closed due to snow & the reception staff were very helpful in finding out road conditions for me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Level One at the Kelvin Hotel was a good place to dine. Something seriously has gone wrong. Last night's experience left a lot to be desired.

Let's be upfront: the staff were great, it was the food I am not happy with.

After a drink in the bar (very nice) we went into the main dining room and were shown our table by a very lovely person who went to great lengths to make sure we were happy with everything.

Our table of four chose Salmon (just average) a T-bone steak (very good), Pork (very good) and battered Blue Cod (average to reasonable).

A starter of Calamari (terrible) and sweetbreads (the jury is still out on that one) was not a great kickoff for the meal.

Deserts were ordered along with coffee but after some time, the waitress came to apologise as the kitchen had forgotten to prepare and they apologised.

VERDICT
Food: Something has gone wrong. What was once a great place for a good meal has now become just average. The Calamari was just awful - a gluggy mess of rice and rubbery squid. What possessed the chef to think we would want our delicate squid stuffed with gluey rice is beyond me. The sweetbreads too need a design rethink.

Mains: what happened? Only a 50% pass rate?

Kitchen forgot to prepare deserts? Oh well, this happens! NOT.

The waitress did apologise and we were not charged for the cost of deserts so well done. But we would have still preferred to have them delivered on time.

Come on ILT: you have dropped the ball and so get yourselves better organised. You were good once, so get yourselves good again.

RESULTS:
Pass rate: 50%
Would we go back: Only if you get your act together
Could do better department: Just about everything.
Low points: That terrible calamari.
High points: Lovely staff

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kelvin Hotel? Share your experiences!