“Not worth going back to” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #147 of 214 Restaurants in Dunedin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Auckland
“Not worth going back to”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My grown up daughter and I went there for dinner early one evening. The first thing that struck me was how dark it was inside. It was about 6.30pm and still fairly light outside, but there were only a few tables occupied and they only had one tea light candle on each. I actually thought they were having a sudden power cut!
We found a table in the gloom at the back of the room and had to ask for some candles/lighting as we couldn't read the menus!
The food eventually arrived, but not really worth the wait. My daughters pizza was cold and my pasta dish was OK but it tasted like it was all out of a packet!
Daughter went to the loo which is downstairs and she came back in disgust and said Mum, don't go down there! It was dark, dingy and not very sanitary.
It seems from what I can gather from the locals that this place is more suited to a night club, so stay clear in the day and early evening!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Wellington, New Zealand
“Sort their [--] out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Ok, so I live in Queenstown and occassionaly go to Dunedin to get out of the bubble. I've been to Metro twice with the Mrs & both experiences were pretty bad. Thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt after the first time, but 2 bad experiences does it for me. 1st time: Just went in for a drink, thought I'd try the tequila beer which is no longer available and it was pretty good. I went to the loo and came back to the barman and his mates swarming around my girlfriend like flies round dung. Great look. Then we ordered food in the form of the man fries. Fries with cheese and bacon. Sounds good. yeh, unless you wait over 30 mins in a near empty bar, then ask the barman where the food is, so he scuttles off to the kitchen cos someones obviously forgotten about them. 2nd time: Walk in, no-one at bar. Stand around for a few minutes then observe a girl serving pizzas to what looked like a group if computer geeks on a night out. She then comes over and her service manner was less than hospitable. She just couldn't be bothered to deal with us. We drank up and left asap. Going to another bar in town we questioned 'Metro'. Their words were, "It's a last resort in your night out". Never going back to this dive.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“Bacon Butty to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

It wasn't an obvious choice for breakfast (it did feel like a nightclub) but the bacon butty and coffee at Metro was to die for.

The Bacon Butty came on a crusty Italian style bun, with a sensational Onion Jam and a little Hollandaise...............my Cardiologist would kill me. But if I lived in Dunedin I would be at the Metro every morning.

The Bacon Butty and the Coffee cost about AUD13.

Great value!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Addis Ababa
“Neat place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Good pizza and finger food. Decent coffee. At night it turns into a night club/bar. I like coming here for evening drinks in the winter as they have the braziers going outside. Service is always friendly.

Visited October 2011
Sandgate
“Nice for lunch but don't go downstairs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

This place right in the center of Dunedin is a bar which serves cafe style meals. It stocks something called Green Man beer, which I thought was actually very good. We had wraps and pizza, which the chef came out of the kitchen and served herself. The wraps were delicious and I didn't try the pizza but the kids said it was good. The only thing is, the toilets are downstairs and you have to negotiate your way through some nightmarish dive of a downstairs bar to the toilets in the alleyway. Don't send your kids by themselves. Upstairs is fine though.

• Visited July 2011