“Step back in time....” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 206 restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand, Fish & Chips, Chowder
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Established in 1932 the "Best Cafe" has become a Dunedin icon. It has been through world war II and the great depression and has changed very little over the last 80 years it has been trading.My wife and I are privileged to be its third owners and have fell in love with a piece of Dunedin history. Our aim is to supply a great range of local fresh fish with our hand cut chips, also maintain our reputation as the Best oysters in New Zealand. If you remember the days when you used to get bread and rolled butter at the table as soon as you walked in, with feeds that never left you hungry then you will remember the "Best Cafe"
Carterton, New Zealand
“Step back in time....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was a unique fish and chip shop. We loved the decor it was like stepping back in time to the 1970s. The meals were huge and really nicely cooked. Loved how the meal was served with complimentary bread & butter and a variety of condiments. It's a must try

88% Recommend
Merseyside UK
“Bargain bag”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I ordered the '$5 Fish and Chips' with a mixture of fish just as a taster from the takeaway. A few minutes later I was presented with a carton of piping hot chips topped with half a dozen crispy pieces of fish inside a paper bag. The final treat was that the top piece was a battered Oyster, a real first for me, and as delicious as the other fish and the chips. Great value as I struggled to finish all the chips!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manuwatu- Wanganui New Zealand
“Best Fish and Chips ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The family raved on about this place so we headed down for a meal and I was surprised when I walked in, not expecting much at all. It was like I had walked into a 1980s England cafe.
I orderes Blue cod and it was the best fish and chips I have ever had and I rave about the place now- we go there every time we are in Dunedin and I have told many people that it is the best cafe and they have all gone there and raved about it too!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dunedin
“Best fish and chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Always a good meal,this is one of our favourite takeaways.Delicious fresh fish and nice chips that are crispy and a good size.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Improved on Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've been eating at the Best Cafe for years, and look forward to it every time I visit Dunedin. They have mastered the art of frying fish and chips - crispy, tasty and never greasy.

Back on the Mainland, I had a pile of chips, fish and oysters today that were Even Better than the Best Cafe of the past. I don't quite understand how this could be, since they were perfect before, but today everything was so light and and fresh and flavourful that it was even better.

So, if you're visiting Dunedin, don't miss the Best Cafe.

• Visited July 2013