“Proper fish and chips!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 211 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand, Fish & Chips, Chowder
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Established in 1932 the "Best Cafe" has become a Dunedin icon. It has been through world war II and the great depression and has changed very little over the last 80 years it has been trading.My wife and I are privileged to be its third owners and have fell in love with a piece of Dunedin history. Our aim is to supply a great range of local fresh fish with our hand cut chips, also maintain our reputation as the Best oysters in New Zealand. If you remember the days when you used to get bread and rolled butter at the table as soon as you walked in, with feeds that never left you hungry then you will remember the "Best Cafe"
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Proper fish and chips!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I visited here with my family who are locals. It is quirky and just like fish and chip restaurants I remember as a child. I loved it, especially the plate of bread and butter. I had blue cod and chips and it was delicious. The fish tasted divine and the chips were hand cut. I would recommend anyone visiting Dunedin to go there for the experience.

Hi Hil2405,

Thanks for your great review, we're so glad that you appreciated our 'time capsule', we endeavor to keep it just the way people remember from their childhoods so it's lovely that you felt that way. Hopefully you come again next time you're visiting family! Thanks again for your feedback.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“It truly is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was doing a quick walk of City Centre in Dunedin (taking pictures) and was headed back up to the Octagon from the train station when I came upon the Best Cafe - a seafood restaurant. I decided to try it out.

They seated me even though their posted closing time was in a half an hour. The decor was VERY modest but that was its charm! I ordered an entreé of scallops and the waitress warned me that the entreé didn't come with chips but I said that was fine. I also ordered a single Bluff oyster (I had been there the day before but didn't have any oyster in Bluff).

When the scallops came I was surprised how big they were! I asked the waitress for advice on how to properly eat the raw oyster and she had the boss out to tell me his "best technique". He stayed and we had a great talk while I finished the meal.

I was really impressed by the food but the service was the "best" thing about the Best Café!

I was there until after the posted closing time but just as I was about to leave a party of eight came in and Mark (the owner) took their orders.

If I didn't live 10,000 miles away, I'd be a regular!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Terry ,

Thanks for the great review, I hope you had an awesome holiday in good ole New Zealand.
It was great talking to you about your travels as its not every day one meets a well traveled man like yourself. Be sure to pop in next time your in Dunners as they will always be open for you.

Cheers

Marc
La Ciotat, France
“Excellent. Just excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fish and chips is not a fast food. It's not something that can be done by some nameless chain. We had blue cod here: it was clearly freshly cooked. So important with batter. And the fish was of excellent quality. And superb hand-cut chips. Really, really good. Go. Go without hesitation. Wonderful.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi MichaelLaCiotat,

Thanks for your wonderful review, we too realise how important it is to cook fish properly and we're so glad that you enjoyed your dining experience. Thank you again for your feedback.

Dunedin, New Zealand
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Heard it was an outstanding fish cafe, found it to be very average. Small portions, soggy fries and so-so fish

Visited July 2012
OleSchool, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hi Mike
Sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your meal, was this a Takeaway? or was it Dine In?
The reason I ask is so I can monitor the quality. As you can tell from our other reviews this is something that we pride ourselves on, so I am very disappointed that you had this experience and I apoligise.

Marc
Franklin, Tennessee
“Post Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My group really likes good fish and chips - we have endeavored to locate the very best in every country we travel - most do not even rate a second thought, but this one is a stand-out - we were about to go to one of the ones recommended by ssome of the travel guide publications, but a couple of locals said absolutely not - go to the Best Cafe. It is clearly in the top 5 we have enjoyed worldwide and #1 in all of New Zealand - compares to one of the most highly regarded Chippy in th UK (Tenby Wales). As my English wife would say - this is a "Proper Fish & Chip Shop" - absolutely a must if you like great food of this type!!

Visited February 2012
Hi jimmclendon,

Thanks so much for your review, we love the fact that people love that we're an authentic fish and chip restaurant! We're so glad that you enjoyed your Best Cafe experience and thank you again for your feedback.