“Nice B&B in Dunedin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin

Save Saved
You added Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin to your Saves list
Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   360 High St | City Rise, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #27 of 58 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Nice B&B in Dunedin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We slept one light at Grandview, and had a very good time. We had breakfast in the morning and it was really delicious. The hotel is a little bit uphill not too far from city center. The room we has was very cosy and nice. The bathroom is not separate but in the room, which is very nice for a young couple like us. The toilets are behind a small separation screen, which is funny but did not bother us. This is a very quiet & nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Booked this room for the spa bath, ensuite facilities, and a view. As noted in other reviews the ensuites are behind partitions, not a separate bathroom, that was OK by us although the main drawback is that the steam from bath/shower fogs up the room a bit. There is the option to used the shared toilet.

The room was nice but being a B&B it doesn't have hotel facilities, so for tea/coffee and fridge/kitchen you need to used the shared facilities downstairs. There is a small TV with basic free channels in the room; the lounge area has a bigger TV with many Sky channels. The lounge area also has a reasonably priced mini-bar on an honesty system.

Was hoping for a better view from the room, but unless you stand at the windows you don't get a view. However there is a deck area with a panoramic view and it would be great to sit out there in the warmer months.

Breakfast is continental only which is fine by us, nothing wrong with the selection, and nice jams and spreads. The family who own it tend to be downstairs in the dining room during breakfast, and any other guests of course, so if you are feeling like a hermit then stick to your room otherwise go downstairs for a chat and some breakky.

Grandview is up a bit of a hill, steeper than it looks on Google Streetview. But fairly close to central Dunedin as the crow flies.

The house is nice and the hosts make sure you have whatever info you need. We got the discounted online booking rate. All things considered for us we'd say it was average (in a good way) stay, perhaps 3.5 out of 5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stumbling onto this B&B while trawling the net for somewhere to stay in Dunedin my wife and I stayed here for two nights in August.

Simon our host was most helpful and able to make great recommendations on things to do and places to eat. We ate breakfast each morning with the owners and were made to feel very welcome.

The accommodation was comfortable although the spa bath was a touch smaller than I had imagined.

I will be happily recommending this place to anyone else I know travelling to Dunedin.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at Grandview for 2 nights as a single traveler in the Olive room. Very quiet and comfortable because it's away from the street and double brick. Bathroom/shower just across the hallway. No view from window but that didn't bother me as I was only there at night. Bed squeekes so probably not good for a couple even though the matress is very comfortable. Adequate continental breakfast, great to have guest kitchenette and sauna. 10 min walk to CBD. Was very comfortable here and highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

After waiting outside in the cold for almost 40 minutes, our greeting was no warmer than the weather. We were told the spa in our room (our main reason for choosing grandview) was broken. No apology was offered for the spa being out of order or being made to wait in the cold. The service continued in this manner for the duration of the stay, causing me to feel uneasy to say the least!
While the room and other facitilies were nice I couldnt relax in the place, I was not at all comfortable using the open plan en suite with just a screen for privacy. I was extremely dissapointed at the service especially after reading so many positive reviews and from speaking to friendly staff prior to my visit, to be honest i would have left after the first day if i could have.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Simonclausen, Owner at Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
We would never leave a guest waiting out side for 40 minutes, and we always try our best to warmly welcome all guests into our home. We have the jet motor in the Colonial Spa Bath being refurbished, this is part of maintenance that has to be done, we offer all guests that are not happy with this either a discount or free upgrade. Our Colonial Spa Room is advertised as open-plan with photos that clearly pointing this out, I’m unsure why this guest booked a room with this clearly advertised.

We go out of our way to give everyone a warm & comfortable stay (which shows in previous reviews) however it’s obvious some people choose not to be happy & look for problems.

Simon Clausen
Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I'm not really a B&B kind of boy - reminds me of naff holidays in Scarborough and Blackpool as a kid. However, this place was great. After having to put up with a 30-minute grilling by the inept immigration service at Dunedin airport, I wasn't in the jolliest of moods when I arrived. However, the welcome at Grandview and their recommendation that I eat at Speights Brewery soon had me in a much better fettle. Suitably filled, the walk back up the steep hill to the B&B worked off some of the calories, allowing me to rest easy in my room with a view. It was a shame not to get a fry-up the following morning (they are, after all, the only saving grace of most B&Bs) but everything else was spot on - the welcome, the fast (and free) WiFi, the views, the room. Apparently the BBC booked the place out for a month during the Rugby World Cup so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I'd be very happy to return there if ever I'm back in Dunedin.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Penn Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Wonderful Victorian B and B with a beautiful View of the Dunedin. Walking distance to town center.
Family sits with guests at breakfast and you feel so very welcome in their home.
Very knowledgeable of the area and knew people to contact to make sure their guests saw what they wanted to see. Planned to stay one night and stayed three. Told us about Natures Wonders Naturally which is a working sheep ranch and also a penguin and fur seal sanctuary. What a find!!

Room Tip: The large room upstairs and 180 degree views of the city
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin? Share your experiences!