“Great staff, nice garden, lousy coffee” 3 of 5 stars

Quality Hotel Cargills
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   678 George St, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand   |
Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Dunedin
Jakarta
“Great staff, nice garden, lousy coffee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Cargill's is a an ok hotel that with just a few tweaks could be a pretty good one. The front desk and cleaning staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. The location is great, especially for downtown access. And Cargill's has a beautiful interior garden which, when we stayed, was full of fruit trees that were just starting to ripen. And yet the hotel needs a more attentive management to pick up the annoying details that frustrate travellers. Its internet is penny-wise and pound foolish: full of little glitches and inconveniences intended to ratchet out more money, despite the fact that business travellers these days choose their hotels on access to easy, free internet. The continental breakfast sounds like the continent it had in mind is Antarctica: pasty, dull pastries, canned fruit, and coffee so bad that I thought that I'd been magically transported to Ohio in the mid 1950s. With just a bit more management attention these are all easy-to-fix glitches -- and I truly hope they do, if only to save New Zealand's reputation as one of the world's great places to drink coffee.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the Hotel and on-line community with feedback from your recent stay at Quality Hotel Cargills.
Great to see you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, our location was ideal for your purposes and that you enjoyed our unique courtyard garden.
The other points you have raised are very relevant and assist myself and the team in providing a better service to our guest. I understand the importance of good Coffee! and I will be following this up with the kitchen team on our current processes. The internet discussion is an interesting one and expectations are definitely changing? After travelling recently myself it is off putting having to pay but I would of found the 1 hour free wireless that we currently offer perfect for what I required? Feedback from our guests regarding this topic does assist with current and future decisions and it is something I am thinking about seriously going forward.
Thanks again for your constructive review and I wish you all the best for your future travels.
Kind Regards Dean Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed on the ground floor. It was very comfortable and the staff were nice. They let me leave my suitcase until after lunch the day I checked out and were friendly. The room was away from the main road and so not too noisy. It had all I needed (cups, saucer, kettle and a small fridge). Great shower. I slept very well.

Room Tip: Some rooms look at the garden and some don't. Some rooms are near the restaurant (which might be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to provide the Hotel and on-line community with feedback from your recent stay at Quality Hotel Cargills.
I was very pleased to read that you received friendly service and that your stay with us was pleasant. It is always encouraging to receive positive reviews and I will be passing on your comments to the team.
All the best for your future travels.
Greta, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Hotel has a great location but is very noisy. The hotel has walkways around the entire upstairs floor which are carpeted and exposed to the weather. There was noise all night and a dreadful smell of wet carpet.
The rooms were pleasant enough but it is very dated and doesn't offer value for money.

Stayed May 2013
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel and provide us with all important feedback.
I was disappointed to read your experience was not a positive one but pleased that you highlighted our great location and that your room was pleasant. I will be taking your comments on board and discussing how we can address these issues.
Thank you again for your time and feedback and I wish you all the best for your future travels.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Awesome place. Very clean and comfortable. 5 star for the price of 3. Gorgoues garden hideway in front of your room. Meals are reasinably priced and very nice. Cant wait to go back. Staff where only to happy to help. Town is a 5 munute stroll. I cant say enough about the Cargills.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Tarsha B

Thanks for taking the time to provide the hotel and online community with feedback from your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and I will be passing on your positives comments to the team.
Again thank you for your encouraging review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Balclutha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I found the Cargill's Hotel, very affordable. The room was neat and clean, variety of hot drinks to choose from. I liked how the rooms looked out onto a garden. kept tidy, and the water feature was a good addition to it. Lovely to look out to. The walking distance to the centre of the city was not far, we enjoyed our walks and it was just suited us. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere of the place was inviting. Our meal in the restaurant was yummy and we would certainly go back in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Ursula

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Hotel and on-line community with feedback from your recent stay at Quality Hotel Cargills. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and I will be passing on your positive comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Timaru City, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel was very nice to stay in and the meal we had there was good quality for the price. Would recommend to anyone passing through Dunedin and looking for a reasonably priced place to stay. Only thing that we didn't like was the very soft bed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Janice D

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide the Hotel and on-line community with feedback from your recent stay. I was pleased to read your comments and it is always very encouraging to know when guests have enjoyed their stay. The soft bed issue can be due to the toppers we have put on all beds recently but I am aware that on occasion the bed does need replacing. If you contact the Hotel directly when making your booking I am sure we can match you with your requirements.
I also thank you for your recommendation and hope that you would visit us again if you are travelling to Dunedin.
Thanks again and all the best with your future travels, Dean Nicol.
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel is easy walking to town. The staff were really nice but do feel as though some of the areas need an upgrade. Our room was very clean and the bed comfortable. Towels etc. were changed daily. The restaurant had reasonably priced food with quite a variety on offer.The staff in the restaurant were particularly helpful. The area that had the real WOW factor was the courtyard.Congratulations to the person who looks after this. To stroll amongst the trees loaded with blossoms and hearing the water feature going was a real treat. i couldn't help thinking what a gorgeous spot for a small wedding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide the Hotel and the on-line community with feedback from your recent stay. I was very pleased to read how you have highlighted the staff friendliness, our great location and of course the wonderful courtyard garden. I have passed on your comments to George our gardener and he was also very pleased to hear your comments.
I have put forward upgrade plans so it is hopeful that we will see progress in this area?
Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and I wish you all the best for your future travels. Best Regards Dean Nicol

Been to Quality Hotel Cargills? Share your experiences!