“Great staff, room disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars

Quality Hotel Cargills
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   678 George St, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand   |
Ranked #42 of 56 Hotels in Dunedin
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great staff, room disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here as part of an Air NZ Weekender deal, so this is not somewhere I would choose to say. The staff where really nice at check in, and we wanted to have a late check out, but the latest we could get was 11am so I paid for another night as we had a late flight back and the staff member was really good with moving bookings around so we could stay.
The room had been refurbished, but the walkway around the outside was a bit scary and creaky,not to mention being on an angle - I could also feel a really cold breeze in the room, and the windows where above the bed 8 foot high and no way to close or check, also there is a waterfeature downstairs and it sounded like the room was leaking water,also a few people where having drinks down there when we got back that night approx 10.30pm.
There was an old phone, and gasp no place to charge my iphone (maybe I have been staying at hotels too long). I was a bit disappointed that there was no body lotion, as I left mine at home and thought that this was a standard option these days. It was a bit of a walk from the Octogon, but it was nice to be able to make a cup of tea, only the Earl Gray was missing. A few long black hairs in the bathroom as well which is one of my pet hates.
I was not impressed with the buffet breakfast down stairs and wished I had given it a miss. I would not be back here, but would be ok if you are on a budget - I don't know the price as it was part of a package.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest.
Thanks for taking the time to write a review and provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you experienced great service from the staff as this is such a key element of our business and it is always pleasing to find out when we are doing it right.
Late check outs are difficult, as we like to work with our guests as much as possible but due to the limited cleaning window from check out to check in offering complimentary late check out after 11-12.00 is extremely difficult but not impossible depending on the many circumstances that affect this. I was disappointed to read your comments about the cleanliness of the room as I have so much confidence in the standards of our housekeeping team. I know they will also be disappointed to learn that on this occasion they have slipped up. The walkways from time to time do cause disruption issues and this is very high on my list of priorities to get this rectified. I was pleased to see also you rated the Hotel very high on value. Thanks again for your comments and I wish you all the best for your future travels. Kind Regards Dean Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were told this hotel is only a 5-10 minute walk to the Octogon but it's more like 15-20. The rooms are old and really outdated, we weren't even provided with a toaster to make breakfast. There's a window right next to the bed where the sun rises but no curtain, so we woke early every day which is a pain if on holidays!

They also accommodated a whole football while we were there, so both mornings we woke up to kids screaming and kicking a footy outside our bedroom window in the tiny courtyard.

The room rate was too expensive for what we got, would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel and the on-line community with feedback and thoughts from your stay.
Your location and value comments do conflict with what our other customers are saying so I am disappointed you didn't find our location and free car parking handy? The Octagon is a 10-15 minute walk but the beginning of town is really only 5 minutes so I apologise for the information you were provided on this occasion.
In regards to the rate you paid these do vary depending on demand and events in the city. Booking directly with the Hotel can be the best way to get the room you require at a good rate.
I wish you all the best for your future travels.
Kind Regards Dean Nicol
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights during a conference at University of Otago, and the hotel is ideally situated for both the university and town - easy walking distance to both. A spacious room on the top floor was a bit cold as the old radiator-style heater wasn't working. The balcony walkway is a bit creaky and loud as people have stated, so try for a room at either end of the walkways. The planted courtyard in the centre of the hotel was pleasant to look on and walk by. The schnitzel at Cargills restaurant was hearty and delicious and on-site catering was handy. But if you are looking for value for money, you might do better to stay somewhere without onsite food services as there are several cafes and restaurants nearby. I've paid less and stayed better. Good overall, but I'd try somewhere else next time I'm in Dunedin.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top level feel spacious and light but may be a little cooler in Winter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cargills, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Firslty I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide the on-line audience with an overview of your stay.
It was pleasing to read the positive aspects of your stay and you summarised it as being good overall.
It was disappointing to read your comments about heating as I know that if you had contacted reception regarding this that we would of got it repaired right away. The radiator heating is very efficient even in the coldest days of Dunedin's winter. Our pricing structure is based on demand and due to you staying at a very busy time it is possible your rate may have been higher than you would generally pay? As you will see from other comments a lot of guest find the Hotel great value for money.
Once again thanks for taking the time to write a well balanced review, I do appreciate it.
Best Regards for your future travels,
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Anyone who remembers chain hotels of the 80s in New Zealand (perhaps DB Hotels) will have a trip down memory lane here. Don't get me wrong, this place has been refurbished and is very clean, but it is dated.

A wooden structure with creaking floors. Sloping ceilings in the upstairs rooms. Beds from the 80s. Telephone from a museum. And the restaurant; fish and chips, steak, bangers and mash. Desserts are apple crumble, pavlova and cheesecake. Montana wine by the glass. Full of travelling salesmen. You get the picture.

Plus. Handy to town. Rooms around a nice courtyard, so shielded from road noise. Friendly staff. Good value. Big room. Parking. Nostalgia.

Negative. Dated experience. Soggy bed and mattress should have replaced at least a decade ago. Wifi only 1 hr free per day. Restaurant not up with the play; good food and friendly staff but a smell of cleaning product, barn-like atmosphere and limited menu.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cargills, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide the Hotel with important feedback.
I was pleased to read your positive comments about the very clean hotel, it's handy location, our beautiful courtyard garden, friendly staff, free parking, the large room and that overall your stay was good value.
The restaurant style has changed recently and we are looking to provide better value meals that are more satisfying. We have found this style of menu has been more popular with our internal and external guest but I do realise it does not suit everybody. There are plenty of options available and it is generally not a problem to assist with dietary requirements and special requests.
We have recently put toppers on all of our beds which we are getting great feedback from but I am monitoring any negative feedback we are receiving in relation to rooms needed replacement beds which is an ongoing process.
I would like to thank you again for your well balanced feedback and wish you all the best for your future travels.
Best Regards, Dean Nicol
Sydney, NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was staying in Dunedin for my sister's 21st Birthday so needed somewhere close to where she lives, but still walking distance to the Octagon.

Qaulity Hotel Cargills was a great experience for me - the room was lovely and warm (very important in Dunedin in winter!), was located perfectly and was a bargain as well.

Only suggestion I would make would be to update the kettle's in the next refurbishment - the model you have at the moment doesn't fit under the tap in the bathroom so I had to re-fill with a glass - not major issue by any means, just a suggestion to make the stay even better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Cargills, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide us with feedback. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the location ideal, your room comfortable and warm and it was great value for money. It is really encouraging to get good feedback so thank you again.
I agree with the kettles and we have a purchasing policy going forward that all new jugs are a smaller design so they can be filled directly under the tap.
I wish you all the best for your future travels.
Kind Regards
Wairarapa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Right...I am in bed at the Cargill at 11: 33pm and the NOISE is insane. I have travelled all over the world and I have never heard anything like this. I've complained twice , its a tour group apparently and they are going up and down the hall of this wooden, creaky, un sound proof structure over and over. One of them slammed the door FIVE times right next to my room just trying to shut it. I have 4 nights here, 3 days of meetings and I need sleep. Extremely poor management of room allocation (don't put business travellers in the middle of a tour group when assigning rooms).

The rooms are v clean and spacious, the staff helpful and the price is reasonable but there is no point being here if you cannot sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't in the middle of a tour group...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cargills, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest

I understand that this tour group of young adults was less than considerate for other guest the night they stayed. Due to the size of the group and the specific rooms they required unfortunately we were limited with the allocation options. There is a sense of good faith that the organisers will take responsibility for the actions of the team but on this occassion I was advised by my staff that there was a communication breakdown. This does make it hard. I do feel our staff could of taken more action and for that I do sincerely apologise.
On a positive note I was pleased to see you rated the Hotel very high on, Value, Rooms, Cleanliness, Location and Service.
I can assure you that these groups are not a regular occurrence and that generally the Hotel is quiet.
All the best for your travels.
Best Regards Dean Nicol
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Cargills has all you need when staying in Dunedin. The rooms are clean, spacious enough, and the bathrooms are big with great water pressure. Very accommodating! You also only have to walk a few blocks down the street and you are in the main centre of Dunedin. Cargills is great bang for you buck!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was so pleased to read your comments and how highly you have scored the Hotel.

It is really great when customers see the positive aspects of the property and rate it accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back and I wish you all the best for your future travels.

All the Best
Dean Nicol

Been to Quality Hotel Cargills? Share your experiences!