“An expensive motel style hotel!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Quality Hotel Cargills to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Cargills
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   678 George St, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand   |
Ranked #41 of 55 Hotels in Dunedin
“An expensive motel style hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

A friendly welcome at reception and cases stored as we arrived early. Rooms arranged around a garden quadrangle which was very pleasant. However rooms, although spacious and beds comfortable were generally shabby. Breakfast was not included in the tariff and was poor value for money. Internet access was at extra cost. We would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Are there any?
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear guest

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Feedback is an important part of our operation and it helps us to provide a better experience for our customers.
I am so pleased you pointed out the positive aspects of the hotel, such as the friendly staff, the tranquil and unique garden setting, the comfortable and spacious rooms and the high standards of cleanliness.
We do have breakfast included rates available and these are generally very good value. Wireless internet is an extra charge but that is not uncommon in NZ and from my experience I would have to say we are at the lower end of the market for the service we provide.
Again thank you for taking the time to write a review.
All the best.
Dean Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
gold coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

5 years ago it was a very nice resturant it has slipped a little since then, for basic accomadation its fine, a company pays my bills when i stay there they still take a credit card deposit just in case wether you use it or not be aware its happened twice to me they took $50 for no reason.
cheers

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Feedback helps us to improve our service and constantly look at the way we are doing things.
As part of our procedures we take a credit card authorisation to cover extras that may occur on the room. Your company does cover certain purchases but not all and this is why we ask for a credit card. On this occasion the receptionist has made a genuine error of doing a purchase rather than an authorisation. This error was only discovered when we balanced the day after check out. Due to the hotel not having the full credit card number we were unable to refund the card immediately. I would like to apologise for this genuine mistake and confirm that as soon as we were contacted and the details supplied the refund was actioned.

Kind Regards

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Don't judge a book by it's cover! That's what I learned through my stay at this hotel.
Because Quality Hotel Cargills might not look particularly inviting from the outside, but the rooms are absolutely spot on: clean, newish and spacious, they have nothing to envy to their upmarket counterparts.
So don't get fooled by the shabby exterior and give it a chance. It's great value for money and totally recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Customer feedback is so important to the team at Quality Hotel Cargills and I will be passing on your encouraging comments.

Your evaluation of the Hotel is spot on and really great to read. Thanks again for the comments and recommendation.
Kind Regards
warwickshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012 via mobile

Good value accommodation, nice walk into town passed interesting cafes and shops. Staff were excellent, happy, accommodating. Found and kept my crystal for me!

• Stayed September 2011
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was very pleased to read your comments and it is great to receive positive feedback.
I will ensure that your review is passed onto the staff and if you are travelling through Dunedin again we would love to host you.
Thanks and Regards
Cambridge, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Very friendly staff very very helpful the gardens outsides was a litle osais nice to see

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear Traveller

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I really appreciate your comments and I will pass these onto my team.
I think it is awesome when our guests have a great experience and see the value that this property offers. We have so many great comments like yours but very few people take the time to write them down so again I would like to say thank you.
All the best.
Dean Nicol.
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed a night following a conference. Room on the ground floor looking out to the garden - but backing onto the driveway and carpark. Didn't notice the noise.
Room was big and roomy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, December 18, 2011
Dear Guest
Firstly thanks for your comments, feedback is an important part of our business and I always like to acknowledge our clients who take the time to write a review.
It was good to see you noted your room was spacious and quiet as I am sure these are important factors to potential clients. I hope you can visit us again if and when you are returning to Dunedin?
Merry Christmas and all the best
Dean Nicol.
Dunedin, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at Cargills for two nights, and it certainly looks better on the internet than in real life. To be fair; the rooms were clean, tidy and comfortable. However, on arrival I was not impressed. I felt the reception staff weren't as friendly as they should be, and were uninterested in us as guests. We booked as a bed & breakfast deal, and were disapointed with the breakfast supplied. One of the female staff members in the restaurant was unfriendly and unprofessional, and we certainly didn't feel welcome. The younger staff member however, was friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was pretty ordinary, I ordered scrambled eggs that quite frankly; looked disgusting. (and thats honestly not being unfair) They were not at all yellow and tasted just as bad as they looked. I unfortunately could not eat them. On departure, the receptionist was friendly enough, but made no effort with small talk which I felt adds to feeling important. We had a room downstairs and could hear the guest in the room above us, walking, talking and using the shower. Sorry would not stay again! Good location to walk into town and garden in the middle was nice.

Room Tip: Sleep upstairs.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dean N, General Manager at Quality Hotel Cargills, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Quality Hotel Cargills. We appreciate your feedback as an important process in our continual improvements and I take it very seriously.
I am disappointed to read your comments about the service you received, as we consider our customer service to be one of the defining factors at Quality Hotel Cargills. It would appear on this occasion we have missed the mark. I know the team will also be disappointed when they read the comments as so much of our culture is built around hosting customers with a personal and friendly service. I apologise that on this occasion we have not meet and exceeded your expectations.
Thank you also for pointing out the other strong features of this property which are the lovely courtyard gardens and the great location.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.
Thanks again, Dean Nicol.

Been to Quality Hotel Cargills? Share your experiences!