“A nice venue for a friendly evenings Dinning” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Only 5 minutes walk from the city center, The Palms Restaurant is open for Lunch and Dinner.The Palms Restaurant is a wonderful place to "enjoy a unique dining experience"while enjoying the tranquil setting of the Queens Gardens in the heart of DunedinOpposite the Dunedin Chinese Gardens.
Mosgiel, New Zealand
“A nice venue for a friendly evenings Dinning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We went there for a Christmas Staff do and also for a member leaving function.
We had a private room with about 20 people Staff & partners. Great food, friendly staff and a fun night out. We provided our own entertainment. lots of laughs

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dunedin, New Zealand
“Truly dissapointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

In hindsight if I have visited the site before I went in then may be I wouldn't have tried The Palms. Have been wanting to try out The Palms for some times now and when I went in with my girlfriend this Saturday it was really dissapointing. From what I hear and can see from the price of the food, they are wanting to be an upmarket fine dining restaurant, marketing themself in the same light as Pier 24, Plato and Two Chefs (other fine dinig restaurants in Dunedin) unfortunately they fell well short in term of the standard of the food they put out at The Palms.

I had the Salt and Pepper Squid which was okay, nothing special, it was basically a squid salad. My girlfriend had the blue cheese and mushroom rissotto, which she enjoyed. Again nothing special tho. Both dishes could have been easily cooked by a none chef. However the worst was yet to come.

My girlfriend ordered the ribeye, I don't think we have tasted a more boring piece of meat. Came on top of potato rosti (hashbrown) and some other potato thingy, yuck! There were suppose to be jus that come with the meat but it was more like runny beef stock-$34.....not worth it. I ordered the duck breast, it came out sliced for you. It must have been the smallest duck breast I have seen, may be 6-7 small diced pieces of duck . It came with 2 table spoon scoop of black rice and a mango salsa thing, I wish I have taken a picture of this one because clearly the chef was having a laugh-$32..... I wonder how they justify that one. I normally have no problems paying over $30 for a mian if it is worth it. But here it seems like they didn't even care. Did not order deserts, didn't want to risk it. Defitnitly won't go back. On a positive note the girl who served us was really good.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Very nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Came across this restaurant whilst travelling round New Zealand. Interior very welcoming and Staff very friendly. Being a picky eater I found the menu very limited for my tastes but what I chose was of excellent quality although portion sizes might have been bigger. Overall, a very nice place to eat.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Average meal, good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Having heard a lot of good feedback about the food and service at The Palms, I decided to bite the bullet and spend up for a small birthday celebration. The prices were as high as I was warned but the food fell short on the quality expected for such pricing.

The entrée of breads and dips was very nice and would be hard to beat in most restaurants in Dunedin. The mains were unfortunately a let down from the recommendations of friends. The meals were universally agreed as average with two dishes of the duck being very warm but not piping hot and then covered with cold trimmings. This let down an otherwise quite good dish.

Desert was very good but not what any of us called excellent and overall, despite the great service by the wait staff, I doubt I would be visiting again. The same quality meal can be obtained from other places at cheaper prices.

While nothing that the restaurant could fix, visitors should note that parking is very limited around the restaurant and there may be a walk of a few hundred metres from the nearest available parking.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Average tasting food in a lovely setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had been to The Palms many times over the years but not since it went more 'up market'. It is lovely to sit by the big windows and watch the cars go by. We both had different mains - hubby said his pork was nice but the description on the menu promised more of a taste sensation than was was delivered. My steak was unevenly cooked - one side was more medium than medium rare and was quite tough (another diner was also heard to comment on how tough his steak was too). We shared the crepe dessert which was ok, with the vanilla ice cream being the highlight. The coffees were good too. The waitress was very nice.

• Visited August 2012