“Dirty Mouldy Loud” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 34 Specialty Lodging in Dunedin
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Dirty Mouldy Loud”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Staff were rude and disrespectful, and completely unaware of their own noise at 2.30am, despite being asked repeatedly to shut up. They had party to which a load of people outside hostel were allowed in leaving no security and marginalising guests, again requests had to be made at 11.15pm for them to move it to tow, they moved it outside.
Mould in showers and shaved hair in sinks, dirty dishes left all over communal areas. They are going through renovation in quiet (ha!) period, but make little apology for this.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I originally booked 3 nights stay here. Me and my other half decided to take a detour to Invercargill on the way round the south coast thus needing to amend our booking. The policy was to give at least 48 hours notice to cancel any booking. We only required 2 nights stay here in the end so as required sent them the relevant information to cancel one of the nights stay. This was done not 48 hours before but nearly a week before, giving plenty of notice. On arrival the place looked quite nice, homely even. We approached the desk expecting someone to show us to the Double room we had booked for our stay. Instead it was like we never existed. A very nice young lady showed us to a room she thought was allocated to us. When we got there it was out back in a disgusting annex in a room i could only describe as inhabitable. The room was pretty empty apart from 2 single beds. Due to the long drive i decided to grit my teeth and rearrange the beds to suit our needs best we could. Shortly after trying to get settled I had received a phonecall....something i wasn't expecting specially as i'm from the UK and knew no one in NZ. It was the owner of the establishment who gave me grief about 'taking' someones room. I continued to tell him we had cancelled 1 nights stay with plenty of time and only required the 2 nights to try and jog his memory, he had no recollection of this so i told him to check his emails. He sounded as though he was showing off to whomever he was with at a 'rugby' match with, telling me i could grab a set of keys from behind the desk.....and stay in a shared dorm. Now I am happy to stay in a shared dorm when i book one, as i didn't, this was beyond unacceptable. What made it worse was he had taken my money for 3 nights stay out of my account without even letting me know. I had just about had enough when the owner turned up and had to eat humble pie when he realized he was in the wrong (assuming he read his emails), apologized and said he would refund the 1st night we didn't stay, wow that was good of him. He then said we could stay in the horrendous room we were taken to originally...again what a lovely bloke. I don't often get angry but when I awoke the next day to go and collect my refund for the night we didn't stay he stood behind the desk, looked at us up and down and asked 'can i help you' as if we shouldn't be there, at this point i was ready to smack his smug grin off his face!!! If you're are on a budget and want to stay in a absolute dive run by a tosser then by all means carry on. I don't usually write reviews either but this place was a JOKE!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oamaru, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Me and my two other friends stayed two nights here, our last night was last night. Found it pretty good, we were out most of the time at the mall. We were in room 5 and it was nice, bathrooms were clean and cleaned regularly while we were there. When we got there they gave us a tour and showed us where the bathroom was etc and there's a hot tub you can use but didn't use it. Staff were friendly and other people who were there were friendly. Bedrooms were quite cold though but the guest lounge etc had a fire and was quite nice. backpackers lock up at 10pm but you can stay out late and you just come to the back door and enter a code in the door to get back in so you can stay up till whenever you want. Only thing i didnt like was all the bloody hills lol, got a taxi up them

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Elm Lodge? Share your experiences!