“really disappointing!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Arden Street House

Arden Street House
You added Arden Street House to your Saves list
Arden Street House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   36 Arden Street Opoho, Dunedin 9010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #39 of 63 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
“really disappointing!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My daughter and I booked this place by phone on our way from Queenstown. It sounded good in the Lonely Planet. When we arrived it was the most terrible rain so we rushed into the main house (thinking we were staying there) and it looked nice with people in the kitchen cooking so I happily paid for both of us. Immediately we were shown into another house - which was a walk down a path in the lashing rain - so in no way attached to the main house. This second house was very damp and dark and grotty. We were stunned. The kitchen was tiny and had no space for even a couple to cook in let alone lots of backpackers. I went back to the main house and asked for my money back from Joyce. This was only 10 minutes later. She refused although she could see how unhappy we were. No matter what I said she would not refund me and offered us a room in the main house for extra money!! She said we could join them there for dinner or breakfast - again for a lot more money! We had no option but to stay put that night in a grotty and damp room and we found a lovey Wine bar down the street where at least there was some comfort for a few hours as we couldnt bear the thought of cooking in the kitchen. We are not fussy having travelled the entire west coast in a tiny camper van in all weathers. We had far better accommodation in other backpackers for the same money that had great facilities and lots of atmosphere. This was by far the most depressing place we stayed in our 5 weeks in New Zealand. I think there is a huge difference between the main house that obviously the Lonely Planet wrote their review on - and the small damp grotty place we stayed in which seems to be for backpackers and woofers. Be very careful when you book this place!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had a fantastic time staying here. The hosts were fantastic and we had a lovely evening of conversation. The facilities are very nice and the breakfast lovely. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I stayed in the main house and felt very comfortable and safe. The caretakers were very helpful with info about the city and letting me store bags there for an afternoon. The house is decorated in a fun funky way, internet is nice and fast and breakfast is always ready.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at Arden street for 3 nights recently while visiting family in Dunedin. Joyce was very helpful and found me a comfortable room even though I had left booking accommodation until the last minute. Joyce has created a fantastically warm, welcoming and quirky atmosphere. The decor is fabulous (antique treasures meets jungle!) and the room I stayed in (Room 1) was clean and very comfortable. I particulary enjoyed the shared meals which were excellent value at only $15; great food and great company. The B & B is only 5 minutes walk to the beautiful Botanical Gardens and ony 20 mins to the new stadium. Joyce's son Louis is the resident IT expert and he was very helpful with all things ITish! Actually all staff went the extra mile to make your stay as easy and comfortable as possible.
I will definitely be recomending Arden Street to friends and family and I look forward to staying there agin on my next trip south. Thanks Joyce ;-)

Room Tip: Room 1 has great views of Knox College and has an en suite
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Eastbourne, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip.
My initial impression of the accommodation was that it was akin to student digs. The decor and facilities were dated and there were layers of hairs and dirt around the base of the shared shower facilities. This property was built in the 1930's and the kitchen etc looked like it hadn't been touched since.
That aside, the room seemed adequate, despite having an overwhelming smell of chemicals from sprays etc, which started me coughing. Against my better judgement I decided not to be so judgemental and stay the duration.
On return to my home I came down with what I thought was a severe chest infection, and just put it down to the damp of Dunedin in winter. Two courses of antibiotics later, I was hospitalised with breathing difficulties. Tests have shown it wasn't a bug as suspected. The only hypothesis we could ascertain is that it was a severe reaction to the chemicals used at this property, which I breathed in whilst staying there. I am contacting environmental health.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I stayed in Arden Street and I thought it was such a lovely place to stay !
I met lovely people and lovely cats !
The yummy dinners with Joyce were very nice and it was funny to meet all the international people around the table !
Everybody was giving me many advice to visit the area.
Location is good, very easy to go to exciting Dunedin.
Definitely a great place to stay if you want a true kiwi experience ! Enjoy !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Arden Street House? Share your experiences!