“Just the Best!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Granada, Nicaragua
“Just the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

A recent visit to CHCH - my friend booked us a table at the Red Verandah - just as well the place was full on a Tuesday! The food was out of this world, my seafood chowder was the best I've had and my friend has the corn fritters which were also to die for. Service was excellent quick and friendly. Highly Recommended.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Brisbane, Australia
“Sad Change”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Prior to our move to Brisbane and the obvious earthquake, we were locals and regulars here and while we are aware that alot has changed throughout Canterbury we expect the simple most basic service standards should always remain. The old 2 Story Cafe had a great vibe, super service, fantastic food, cosy indoor/outdoor dining and down to earth staff (especially the manager, her name I can not remember)

We had been in Christchurch on holiday from the beginning of December til end of January during this time we had visited 3 times. We booked once and our friends pre-booked on the other two ocassions.

Our first visit was a Sunday Brunch 10:30 booking for four. We arrived slightly early and the place was busy. Our first welcome to the Cafe was "do you have a booking", I replied with a smile umm yes we do. We were told we were early and as you can see we are really busy and there are no other available tables just yet, we agreed and suggested we wait outside. We walked around the cafe trying to collect our bearings regarding the old cafe and came across the old villa at the back which they have turned into cute dining rooms and the male waiter who first "greeted" us having a durrie.

We were seated on the verandah, first table on the right. It was a very tight squeeze but we are all good friends (awkward if we were not) and were happy to be back at the cafe reminiscing.

We ordered our meals and had requested coffee with our meals and settled on cold drinks to start. We could clearly hear the barista expressing his views on how he was not going to send coffee with meals and that we will "get them, when we get them". We got the waitresses attention as she was tending to another table and asked her to kindly remove our coffee order as we did not want to upset the works. The barista seemed to continue on about the issue, loudly re-educating staff about the importance of coffee orders, we felt sorry for the waitress who was the obvious receiver of the very public tongue bashing.

Our meals arrived. Hubby had the Bacon Benedict, I had the Brushetta, our friends had Cornfritters. Sadly the meals were on the cooler side of warm, the poached eggs were more like hard boiled eggs. The bacon was burnt to a crisp and the toast with the Benedict was more like oily chewy bread. Our friends Cornfritters were under done with a "goowy" centre.

The waitress took our plates away asking if everything was ok with our meals? I think the large amount of food left on our plates would have been a clear giveaway? Asked if we wanted coffee, we declinded. We paid the bill, left and had coffee and cake elsewhere.

Our friends booked our second visit (we went with an open mind hoping that this visit would be better) Seemed a little less busy not sure if this is because the booking was 1pm on a Saturday? There were 8 of us seated at a table on the verandah, our friend asked if we would be able to move to an outside table, the waitress was obliging and away outside we went.

It was a beautiful summer day, our friends all now, like us ex regulars and locals to Under the Red Verandah now living over seas. We all shared stories about this cafes history, we all recall the mature guy with glasses who we found out from a waitress was Peter who is now in Oz, we all agree he was great. We had not told our friends at this point we had been here the weekend prior,

Coffees ordered, then meals. Coffees arrived, some had more coffee in the saucer than the cups but O Well. The coffee was bitter to taste as one of our friends indicated, so she sent it back. Our meals came and our friend had still not recieved her returned coffee so she went to ask the barista if he had recieved the re-order. She said the music was so loud she was shouting and he obviously mistook this for aggression and he said "I can't make it if it aint on the list" she returned to the table deciding to not bother with coffee.

The meals were all delicious, great presentation, generous and as expected. I tried the Brushetta again (beautiful) and hubby opted for the Very Big Brekky, no complaints from him apart from the toast again and we noticed a few of the others did not eat their toast.

Great attentive waitress, food and cold drinks. On the negative, hideously loud disco night club music (affected us more so when we were on the verandah table), courtyard seems sad, bird poop on the out door tables hard to miss, coffee and there was an issue spliting the bill.

Last visit to cafe was booked by my sister-in-law who is a proud regular to Under the Red Verandah. Again we decided not to mention we had been as we really wanted just to catch up and not start on a negative. Sunday 12:30 booking.

Seated on the verandah, my sister inlaw obviously more at home with the place and quickly asked for the music to be turned down, this however would not be the first time she would ask, as it slowly kept creeping back up.

We ordered cold drinks and the others ordered coffee. Drinks delivered by the barista which I thought was a nice touch but he was obviously hot as his shirt armpits were stained and smelt of durries, I found this a little off putting. Meal order placed. At this stage we realized that perhaps the music was up loud so that the staff could not be heard talking about the customers because we could hear a huge amount of inappropriate conversation.

Meals arrived, I decided to share my hubbys Big Breky, sadly again the eggs were over done (not very bright yolk so im not convinced they were free range) I asked the very young waiter who had to go and ask the kitchen if they were, I watched him ask from my table and he seemed nervous asking, I'd made up my mind at this stage.Bacon again over done and toast not edible and oily. My sister in-law was visibly embarrased and said she would only come back for coffee and cake in future if at all.

Not sure whats happened here but it has lost its charm. It has an element of pretentiousness, the music is over the top and loud, the younger staff seem a little scuffy and appear to not know the menu or product. Perhaps if a manager is employed some of these basic issues can be resolved? This cafe is far from what it was and sadly we and our friends have lost the cosy corner cafe that once was.

Good luck with your future

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Best breakfast in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This place has the best breakfasts. Corn fritters or Brusetta are my fav! Great on a warm day if you can sit outside, but even if it's not, the verandah is perfect and covered in.

In a random wee part of town, but worth the trip.

Visited September 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Lovely Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Under the "New" Red Veranda has had a few earthquake hiccups over the last 3 years but the food and service has remained top notch. we visited for brunch recently, sat outside in the courtyard and had a wonderful start to the day. Recommendable.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointed with the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I had read afew reviews and we thought we would check this place out for breakfast. We thought the coffee was delicious however they got my order wrong so while my partner was eating I was waiting for my breakfast. This didn't really matter but he was almost finished his breakfast by the time mine arrived - the food looked good but my meal was so salty it was almost unpalatable, this is probably the worst breakfast I've ever been given. I was really disappointed as we were looking for a great local breakfast place but as this was our first visit it will also be our last. One redeeming quality of the cafe is that one coffee was taken off our bill however it was too little too late.

• Visited November 2013