“The best dining experience we've had for a long time.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #357 of 519 restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Swiss
Invercargill, New Zealand
“The best dining experience we've had for a long time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We dined at Le Pot-Au-Feu in Christchurch this weekend, and it was one of the best dining experiences either of us has ever experienced!

We both started with the lamb carpaccio - my wife knew exactly what it was, but I had no idea that it meant raw (seared) meat! A little out of my comfort zone, but the tastes were amazing and definately worked. I would have it again!

For a main I was going to have a veal dish, but the last portion had just been served but chef Bono offered to serve beef fillet with the same sauce and presentation - and it was simply amazing. Once again wonderful flavours that worked brilliantly together. My wife, who can't eat huge amounts, had Crevettes gratinee "Aurore" - a prawn dish - and thought it was absolutely lovely. I'm not really a prawn person, but I tried the sauce and it was just to die for!

We finished with the Crepe Suzette, which Bono flambed at our table.

Neither of us are really educated in red wines, and tend to go with the 'safe' whites that we know - in this case we had a lovely Nelson Pinot Gris. I'm sure it wasn't quite what Bono would have recommended, especially for my beef, and after talking to her more about NZ and Swiss wines I think we might have to just let her choose next time!

Other than the excuisite food, what really set Le Pot-Au-Feu apart was the service from Bono. She does it all - she took the phone booking, welcomed us, cooked and came out and talked with us - she is a facinating person and does everything there. The dining room is small and intimate, so its never going to be crazy-busy there, but that's a good thing - we're over horrible, busy places (like Plato in Dunedin - never again!).

We will certainly be going back next time we're in Christchurch - as many thumbs up as we can manage!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Really very, very special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We visited with friends for a joint "significant anniversary". We were looking for something quite special and this place came up trumps! It is quite different in that it's a 1 person establisment where the propieter does everything her self. This effectivly means that she is cooking just for you. Everything was prepared from fresh ingredients. The four of us made slightly different choices. I can't remember the last time that happened and at least 1 person was not dissapointed in something. We were all quite rapt. I can honestly say that she prepared the best sauces I've ever tried. This is "fine dining" at its finest.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, NZ
“Good food, weird place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Well, I went there with no expectations - literally. Was taken there for a meal and had never heard of the place.

Nice that the food is prepared on the spot, cooked and served by the chef - a one-woman show - good for her that she works her butt off to do something she loves.

The food was not mindblowing in any sense (had the fish option that day) and felt that it was playing dressup in mom's wardrobe type of place. The ambience is a bit put on - location is a converted store front on gloucester near some backpackers. Not sure where the miss really came from.

My partner really likes that place though and thought her food was fantastic - so perhaps it's just me and my general dislike of 'fine' dining? Would go to Sez'n first.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great classic swiss and...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

Great classic swiss and french cooking. Get on Bono's degustation dinners mailing list. They are awesome