“Exactly what we were looking for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Airport Christchurch Luxury Motel & Apartments

You added Airport Christchurch Luxury Motel & Apartments to your Saves list
Airport Christchurch Luxury Motel & Apartments
4.5 of 5 Motel   |   55 Roydvale Avenue | Burnside, Christchurch 8053, New Zealand   |
Ranked #13 of 142 Hotels in Christchurch
Certificate of Excellence 2014
French Polynesia
“Exactly what we were looking for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Clean, friendly, not too expensive and very convenient for family.
May go there for business also.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
wellington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I am writing to complain about John at the Airport Christchurch Hotel.

I arrived late, around midnight, on Friday 26 February into Christchurch from an international flight to stay at the Delta Motel. I had indicated on wotif, where I booked the hotel, that I would be arriving at midnight. Unfortunately, I missed the message to contact the hotel directly if I would be coming in after hours.

When I arrived, there was a note on the Delta door to use the reception at the Airport Christchurch Hotel. John from Airport Christchurch Hotel met me. He was obviously irate and proceeded to berate, and then lecture, me on not informing the hotel of my arrival time. Not wanting to cause a fuss, I intimated that I had included my arrival time on wotif but had missed the message to contact the motel directly, I was happy to pay the $30 late fee and, explaining I was tired, suggested we expedite check in. However, John continued to berate me, at which point I noticed the guest book and began to write an entry. John aggressively grabbed the guest book from my hands and told me, condescendingly, and for the second time, how to access my key saying I would not get in if I did not listen (which I had). He was aggressive and intimidating. My feeling is that he could not, or would not, have physically snatched the guestbook from my hands if I had been a man.

On checking out the next morning, and after asking, John refused to allow me to finish my entry into the guest book saying I did not stay at the Airport Christchurch Motel and thus could not make a contribution. On pointing out that I had dealt with him administratively on my stay, he simply refused to give me the guest book and began, again, angrily telling me about the late arrival. At that point, I walked out returning only for a moment to mention that I will be contacting wotif, Tourism NZ, Tourism Christchurch, Qualmark and the Christchurch Motel Association etc about the incident.

As a lawyer and academic in international law, I travel much of the year and all over the world. I have never encountered such behaviour from a hotel staff member, and have never had cause for complaint. At that point, I was embarrassed also as a New Zealander to know that international guests might be treated in such a way on their arrival into New Zealand.

While I did not mention the following to John at the time, I would add that I think it is unreasonable for an airport motel, situated close to an international airport, not to provide a personal and friendly 24 hour service for check ins and check outs given that planes land and leave at all hours. I also think a late arrival fee of over 20% of the hotel room cost is considerable.

Finally, I have absolutely no quarrel with the Delta Motel. The Motel room was well appointed and pleasant and the staff I met in the morning both helpful and concerned with John's actions also.

Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Lovely motel, close to airport. Very helpful staff to organise transfers.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Timaru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

I've stayed at this motel three (?) times prior to catching early morning flights to Australia and I can find no fault in the service provided.
The staff are very helpful.
The wakeup call system is all automated and is perfect for the 3am starts. Free taxi to the airport as well and it's less than 5mins away.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Very comfortable night's stay. Room was was furnished to high standard. Bathroom and bedroom spotless. Breakfast very nice. Airport transfer efficient. Could not fault this motel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This was the best hotel on our trip - which was a pity - because it was also our last night in NZ. We chose this hotel because of the good reviews, and its proximity to the airport. We were not disappointed! After staying in some less than ideal hotels around the South Island, it was a pleasant surprise to have this fantastic hotel as our last night - it was well appointed, very clean, fantastic bathroom, and a very convenient kitchenette. The guy at the front desk was also very helpful. We were also pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was - didnt hear any street noise or aircraft noise. So I would highly recommend this hotel - next time we stay in Christchurch - we will make a point to stay here - regardless of the fact that it isnt in the centre of town - the rooms are worth it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
LONDON, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on 14 January 2010 for one night while en route to Australia. The rooms are modern, spacious and beautifully appointed. The owners run an impeccably smooth operation, efficient and friendly. No-one will be disappointed with this Motel which is absolutely top class.

Jeff D, London

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Airport Christchurch Luxury Motel & Apartments? Share your experiences!