“Needs Serious Upgrades; poor location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bealey's Hotel

You added Bealey's Hotel to your Saves list
Bealey's Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   263 Bealey Avenue | PO Box 21189, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #119 of 142 Hotels in Christchurch
Halifax, Canada
“Needs Serious Upgrades; poor location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

By the time I arrived in town and at the hotel, all coffee shops in the area were closed. My options were a casino that may or may not have had a restaurant, and that I may or may not be dressed appropriately for, the hotel bar which was loud and did not make me feel comfortable to go into alone and the gas station across the street. I opted for the gas station. Even during the day, it didn't seem like there was really much around.

My room was at the back. The sidewalk was uneven, the lighting poor, and my door opened into the parking that was used by some of the bar guests. It was not noisy, but I certainly didn't feel entirely safe. I was happy that I would just be there the one night. If I had been there longer I actually think I would have found a different hotel for the next time. The lighting and sidewalk issues seemed to be relatively easy fixes.

The front staff were nice, however, and even showed me to my room.

There is quite a bit to do in Christchurch and the surrounding so if I ever return, I will choose a different hotel in a completely different part of town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

After the worst start ever, the staff where apologetic, sympathetic and showed empathy. A rare thing these days. Room was very clean, large, comfortable with a homely feel. Restuarant food was great. Large serving and reasonably priced. No noise could be heard in the rooms from the Ale House, even with Cup Day celebrations going on. 5 minute walk to town.I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

No idea. Booked and paid ahead, with email confirmations. Got there after a ling day of travel only to be told theyve overbooked and given my room away to a guy who cancelled but showed up anyway. Pay the extra $20 a night and stay at the 5 star hotels.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am severely allergic to wheat, so every one of my reviews will probably talk about food first. This place had a great pub attached, called Speight's. The hotel was dated, but the rooms were clean and organized well. Beds were thick foam and very comfortable. Shower had powerful, warm water, even though the fixtures were a bit old. Kindly woman at reception was AWESOME at fixing any problem we had. Look past the decor and remember Christchurch had an earthquake a few years ago. This place is still standing and still lovely for the price.

For my fellow Gluten free types, try the house Red with the Pork Cutlets... Easily in my top three meals of all time.

Room Tip: Wear yourself out locally and come home to sleep. Ask the kindly woman behind the desk for a WiFi k...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after along days travel. Greeted by a lovely lady who was happy to show us to our room. The room was small. Dingy. Unclean. There was sand on the bed. The bathroom was filthy. The toilet was not cleaned. There was someone's old razor blade left on the floor. It was disgusting. Three nights accom VERY quickly turned into one!!! Would not bother next time!!!! Will never stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Booked online. Arrived and they didn't have our booking even tho I had conformation.
Were put in a room with a double bed, YES A DOUBLE and 2 singles. Sheets nice quality. Bathroom tiny & in need of a good paint!
Totally not worth the $105

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This place seems to have ignored the passage of time and is locked in the 1970's. First impression is of a barrack block although view into the courtyard is better.
The first room I was shown smelt of smoke, room 2 was already occupied and room 3 was very basic. Painted block walls, no bedside table, one chair even though there were 3 beds. In the restaurant my order was taken in the bar as there were no tables free, and then never passed to the kitchen. Food was fine when it came and I was offered a free drink for the delay.
I will not be going back

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Bealey's Hotel? Share your experiences!