We chose this motel for our last night in New Zealand, as we needed to be fairly close to the airport for an entirely-too-early departing flight.
Having stayed at accommodation on Papanui Road in the past, my main concern was road noise.
I expressed this concern in an e-mail to the motel and they offered to hold one of their back rooms for us, which is how we came to stay in room #210, a very quiet studio room.
The motel offers excellent off street parking...ours was right outside our door and couldn't have been more convenient.
Our room had suffered a wee bit of minor cosmetic earthquake damage, but it suited us pretty well. Although the manor is an old building, the interior is modern and fresh, yet still maintains some of the original features. This makes for a nice mix of old and new and gives the room a bit of character.
There was a large accessible bathroom with two sinks on opposite walls, a nice stereo and TV set-up, sufficient space, an outdoor patio area, and a well equipped kitchenette.
The drawbacks for us were the smallish bed, the pitiful bedside lamps (not enough light to read) and the positioning of the bathroom door, which when open, hit the bed, effectively blocking the exit for the person on the right side of the bed. We had to sleep with the bathroom door closed to prevent spouse from slamming into the bathroom door if he had to get up in the middle of the night. We also had to close the bathroom door to watch TV, as it blocked the view from the right side of the bed. It seems a pocket door or sliding door would work better.
From a location standpoint, Merivale Manor worked well for us...about a 30 minute walk to the CBD and a short walk to our favorite Indian restaurant. And best of all, we heard birdsong, not traffic! The fast, free Internet was a nice perk too.
All in all, good accommodation. We'd not hesitate to stay here again (in a quiet room),
- Also Known As:
- Merivale Manor Hotel
- Merivale Manor Christchurch
- Merivale Manor Hotel Christchurch
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Merivale Manor Motel Christchurch. Originally built in the 1880's, Merivale Manor has been transformed into 10 elegant, luxurious Studio, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, as well as 8 Brand new Spa Studio units, all reasonably priced Christchurch accommodation, situated at 122 Papanui Road, Merivale, Christchurch, New Zealand.Merivale Manor Motel Christchurch is in a great location, less than 200 metres to central Merivale with its premier shopping, restaurants, cafes and bars. We are one of the closest Motels to St Georges Hospital, Nurse Maude Hospital & Hospice, St Andrews, Rangi Ruru, St Margaret's and Selwyn House schools. We are approximately 1.5 kilometres to Christchurch City centre. A short stroll to Christchurch's beautiful Hagley Park and Christchurch Casino. Merivale Manor is within easy access by car, taxi or bus to AMI Stadium, CBS Canterbury Arena (was Westpac Trust Centre), Railway Station, Christchurch's International and domestic Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your Merivale Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.