“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gingerbread Lodge Bed & Breakfast

You added Gingerbread Lodge Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Gingerbread Lodge Bed & Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   108 Roker Street, Somerfield, Christchurch 8024, New Zealand   |
Ranked #28 of 114 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at the gingerbread lodge for several weeks while looking for a permanent place to live when I first moved over from the UK. Miki (the owner) and her partner (Nathan) were incredibly welcoming, accommodating and supportive while I was trying to get settled and find my way about Christchurch.

The lodge feels more of a home than a B&B, with tastefully decorated rooms, lots of space and clean and well kept en-suites.

As well as a selection of breakfast options in the morning, they were also happy for me to use the cooking facilities in the evening which was a massive help so I didn't have to eat out every night.

Really enjoyed my time here and would recommend it for anyone who is looking for a nice, homely place to stay

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

It was fortunate to meet Miki. She is a type of person who is so caring and devotive. She didn't hesitate to carry heavy suitcases to upstairs by herself. She picked us up early in the morning at our hotel. She checked the information we needed. She even called people and asked for us.
I wish my daughter-in law was like her. Anyway, I felt so comfortable and close to her family which made me feel I found another home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our family stayed at Gigerbread Lodge on 10/17/2013, but even prior to staying there we befriended the hosts, Miki and Nathan, and they were super friendly and very nice to us. Miki was especially extremely helpful, and she drove us around the city - i.e. she drove my mother to the dentist and my sister to her general practitioner **Note, this was before our stay**. My sister was applying for her working holiday visa, and we asked Miki if she could stay there for a while, and Miki took us to the photographer for her pictures and the immigration office - we were in awe of her service. There is also a very cute dog whose name is Kou, so if you like dogs, you'll even be welcomed by him :) Anyways, my sister is currently staying there with Miki, and she is having a blast! She watches movies with Miki and Nathan, and Miki even took her to the beach nearby. The accomodation comes with breakfast and dinner option, but I would definitely recommend taking on that option! Miki is a professional, certified cook, and we tasted her dishes - they were all marvelously delicious! Her expertise is Japanese style, but you can ask for other styles also. Oh, btw, she happens to be a nurse, so in case of emergency, you're all covered! :) I would definitely recommend anyone going to Christchurch to stay at Gingerbread Lodge (I know I would, I even have plans going back hehe), or even call or visit Miki if you need some kind of travel assistance. I know she is a busy person, so she wouldn't be able to accomodate all your needs (we happend to be there when the lodge wasn't too busy), but I know Miki will be very willing to help you and make your stay as pleasant as possible! AAA+++ rating, must stay accomodation!

Room Tip: My sister is staying on the second floor, and her room is the best! It is nice and cozy, and also br...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night and it was wonderful! We had the lovely ensure room. The bed was very nice, we had a good sleep. The bedroom and bathroom were very tidy. Miki, the host is a lovely woman and also a wonderful cook, the breakfast was excellent! She made us feel very comfortable and we were feeling like we were at home! Next time we certainly come back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gingerbread Lodge Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!