“Misleading and Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Christchurch

You added Quest Christchurch to your Saves list
Quest Christchurch
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cathedral Junction 113 Worcester Street | *** currently closed ***, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #52 of 137 Hotels in Christchurch
Victoria, Australia.
“Misleading and Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We came to NZ for a couple of weeks and spent our last two nights in Christchurch - we selected the Quest apartment because we wanted to stay somewhere special for the end of our holiday.

I booked the bubbly surprise apartment package. When we arrived I was very disappointed. Instead of an apartment I found a basic hotel room without cooking, washing or dishwashing facilities - this is what they call a studio apartment - styled room- but it is really just a very basic, bland hotel room. I was also really disappointed that the 'bottle' of bubbly turned out to be a 200ml bottle, that wasn't chilled (so we could drink it) but left on the bench. Although technically correct, I found the advertising of the 'studio' apartment and 'bottle' of bubbly to be very misleading.

I went to reception and spoke to a staff member there - he was excellent - he listened to my concerns and arranged for us to be moved to another apartment.

I went back to reception to return the keys from the first room and to check whether car parking was included in my package as I had been handed a note to put on the car that had parking charges, and I had booked an accommodation package that included parking. I spoke with the receptionist and she confirmed that parking was included.

We found the apartment to be clean, spacious and we enjoyed the central location. It is frustrating to have so many doors to open to get in and out, and they have this ridiculous noisy fan in the bathroom that stays on for 10 mins after you turn off the lights. It's quite annoying.

Our stay at Quest Christchurch was soured by the rudeness of a Front Office staff member at the time of checkout. We put our luggage in the car and I went to return the keys. I was asked to pay for car parking. I explained that I thought car parking was included in the package. I was advised that it wasn't included in the package and needed to be paid before I could leave. I explained that I had checked with the receptionist and she confirmed that it was included in the package. The staff member rolled her eyes at me and then made a sarcastic comment like 'well then it is included'. I was stunned by her behaviour, her lack of customer service skills and her lack of basic respect. I wrote to the Manager of Quest Christchurch and haven't heard anything in over a week (other than 'thanks I got your email') . It is a great, central location, but be warying of what you book because I found that all is not as it seems.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the staff and the misleading advertising
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mooloolaba, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Quest was the first accomm that we stayed in for our trip. We were there for 2 nights. The studio room is quite small but do-able as we didnt stay in the room very often. Its in an excellent location, very central. Although its in the centre of everything the noise isnt too bad as the windows seem to be double plated. Also have internet for free (in lobby area). Rooms are clean, comfy bed. I would reccommend this hotel for others planning to have a few days in Christchurch. Nice, good hotel. The hotel actually isnt the easiest to find so just keep driving around, parking is in a tiny alleyway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard to find hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

We were impressed with our stay at the Quest during our visit to Christchurch.
The location is really convenient and the one bedroom apartment gave us plenty of room to spread out . The bathroom, although compact, was quite adequate and the bed was a lot more comfortable than some that we have slept in.
The kitchen facilities were good and there was a comfortable sofa and chairs to relax in. We liked the fact that the TV swivelled round to face the dining area so that we coukld catch up on the news while we were having our breakfast.
Two minor quibbles are the fairly basic breakfast that is supplied (but knowing about it in advance we brought some fruit and yoghout with us), and the slow internet in the reception area. It is free, but it took ages to do an online check in for our flight back home.
This was our second stay at the Quest. It is a good economical place to stay at and we are looking forward to coming back next time we are in Christchurch.

• Liked — Right in centre of town, and security was good.
  • Disliked — Small vanity in bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed in their 3 bedroom penthouse apartment for two nights in March 2008, and were impressed. The location couldn’t be bettered – right in the city centre, yet easy to get to and with secure parking in the basement. The entrance may not be grand, but once inside, the accommodation is good. The main living area is very generous in size and well furnished. The kitchen and laundry areas have everything you could possibly need, and essential breakfast supplies are provided. We only used two of the three bedrooms, but both were comfortable, of a decent size and with enough storage space. The third bedroom is smaller, but looked adequate. Both bathrooms were fine, and everything was spotlessly clean. At $351 per night plus $12 for car parking, for such a central location we felt it was good value for 4 people and would have been excellent value for 6. If we were visiting Christchurch again, we would have no hesitation in going back.

Four points to note. First, the penthouse apartment is on two floors and the bedrooms are upstairs with no lift, so be prepared to carry your suitcases up. Second, the bathrooms are on the same floor as the bedrooms but are not strictly en suite, as claimed on their web site. Further, there is only one toilet on this floor (in one of the bathrooms), but there is a second toilet downstairs. Third, there are balconies on both floors, but don’t expect too much of the views! Finally, our comments apply to the penthouse suite. We are not able to say whether the other rooms are equally good.

• Liked — Location, spaciousness
  • Disliked — Poky entrance
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

This property is great in terms of the location - right in the heart of Cathedral Square. Easy to hop on/off the tram and also to walk to most of the main sights. Found the bed to be extremely uncomfortable however and it was very noisy with the tram starting up at around 7am right outside our room. You also get a lot of noise with doors opening and closing from neighbouring rooms. Not that great if you want a good comfortable and peaceful sleep (especially after arriving off a late night flight). Staff are helpful and there is a free internet service in the reception area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

Located right on Cathedral Square in the centre of Christchurch, Quest combined the best bits of hotel living with the homeliness of a real flat. The room was enormous, with a huge open plan kitchen-dining room-lounge and separate bedroom. It included a washing machine and dishwasher in the kitchen and felt like a proper apartment.
The tram also stops just outside the hotel and is a nice way to see the city.

• Liked — It felt very home-like
  • Disliked — Awkward to access due to security doors.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

After reading all the good reviews on here, we were very disappointed with the Quest! While we couldn't fault the location or the service, the room itself was very ordinary. Perhaps it was because we had stayed in such fantastic accommodation our whole trip, but it seemed that they could definitely do better.

The best way I could describe the room is gray, drab and depressing! The bathroom was very small and awkward, the kitchenette was very sparingly stocked, and the room was very plain. They honestly need add a splash of color, and perhaps update the furnishings. Also, I wouldn't get too excited about the continental breakfast they stock, unless you enjoy kids sugary cereals and white bread for breakfast.

One thing that really drove us crazy was the number of doors we had to unlock to get into our room... I think it was about 3!

The hotel will do the job if you're just passing through Christchurch but if you're there for a few nights, I would look somewhere else. Nothing exactly wrong, but nothing exactly right either.

• Liked — The location and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — The very ordinary room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Quest Christchurch? Share your experiences!