“Most everything excellent - pity about the maitre'd” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 583 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Thai, Asian fusion
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: King of Snake brings a new level of Asian dining to Christchurch. A timeless paean to Southeast Asian sensuality. King of Snake titillates Christchurch’s Victoria Street precinct with Tony Astle’s elevation of the the region’s tastes, textures and visuals in a casual, sexy atmosphere.King of Snake is a Restaurant and Bar located at 145 Victoria Street, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Most everything excellent - pity about the maitre'd”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a great meal here last night. Stunning decor and a good location on what appears to be becoming the new Christchurch strip. Nice spaces and well broken dining spaces, wide range of seating from intimate to public - all good.

Menu which is on line to admire is wonderful, and the dishes we chose (3 diners) matched expectations. Great dishes, fresh, crisp, interesting neat flavours - as one would expect.

Service was (apart from she above) friendly, efficient and most professional. Drinks were quick and very well presented.

All in all, the food was great, most of the service excellent. The place is currently running 3 evening sittings, so something must be right!

Won't continue if supergrump out front doesn't get her act together. I hesitate to make such a criticism, but the three of us eat out a lot, and we all made the same observation- independently.

This is not cheap - people will expect better

Good Luck all

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Innovative food with flavours that really pack a punch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Enjoyed dinner with a group of colleagues at King of Snake. The food was perfect for sharing - generous portions served in bowls, everyone found something to their taste and most people enjoyed a whole range of flavours and textures.

Unlike other reviewers, we enjoyed good service. The overall atmosphere was a little noisy, but was more buzzing than unpleasant.

• Visited September 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Best restaurant ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I have returned to Christchurch after a year's absence.
I am staying with family and requested to go back to King of Snake, which is just down the road from where I'm staying.
It is just as brilliant as ever - the flavours just POP in a big big way.
My son and daughter in law, and myself went twice in the last two weeks and we had the same thing every time, because the dishes were so very delicious - beef cheeks, dhal, tuna, tofu and rice to mop up the flavours - its a place for sharing.
I didn't have any dessert but was very tempted indeed.
All food just out of this world.
My daughter in law knows her wine and chose some absolutely wonderful wine.
I travel a lot but if I were to choose my best restaurant ever I would choose King of Snake for delicious flavours that do your mind in.
I'm leaving on 18th Feb - maybe I'll fit in another visit.

Visited February 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have been here a few times and food has always been lovely with tuna salad being my favorite. I love the atmosphere and we have always had good service.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Let down by the service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

There's only so many times you can hear "so sorry about the delay" before you begin to wonder what on earth is going on.

The food was excellent, when it did arrive, the wine was satisfactory, again when it arrived. Water, was water, again when it arrived.

The drinks list I can't comment on as that never arrived. I appreciate that perhaps they were busier than expected, but we had to prompt the staff for everything with the exception of menus.

We asked for water, we asked for wine, we asked to order. We ordered a bottle of wine first, that showed up twenty minutes later, and after the food, which was ordered after the wine. We constantly had to ask for water.

The food was excellent, well cooked and exceptionally presented - perhaps they were just too busy.